Traktor Scratch Poor (a.k.a. Ghetto Timecode Control) - Page 7
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Hey dudes, sorry for the article holdup. I keep finding things to tweak in the setup for better stability/portability.

In the meantime, here's the missing step to make this all work on a Mac w/ a legit copy of TSP: go to Audio Midi Setup, open up the Aggregate Device Editor, and name your device "Audio 8 DJ". Told you it was simple

Hey all

Is this a mac only hack or is it poss to get it working on a PC ? anyone done it ?

Gav
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

I am using vinyl timecode with Traktor 3.4, XP and a M-audio audiophile firewire. Works great. My sound card has only 2 rca inputs and 1 spdif input. I have 1 tt which has a spif out conected to the correspondant input and the other tt is conected to the rca. The second one need some boosting of the signal when using the tt phono out, but still works without boositing it. No issues so far.

Quote Originally Posted by alien2k View Post
    I am using vinyl timecode with Traktor 3.4, XP and a M-audio audiophile firewire. Works great. My sound card has only 2 rca inputs and 1 spdif input. I have 1 tt which has a spif out conected to the correspondant input and the other tt is conected to the rca. The second one need some boosting of the signal when using the tt phono out, but still works without boositing it. No issues so far.
    No way i have exactly the same sound card ... Hmm so how you gona about conecting a turntable to the spdif (digital)???

Also if its on a pc where is it you go and change all the settings in the software trickery bit?

G
    Last edited by MisterMoleyMole; 04-20-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    No way i have exactly the same sound card ... Hmm so how you gona about conecting a turntable to the spdif (digital)???

Also if its on a pc where is it you go and change all the settings in the software trickery bit?

G
    In my case I did not perform any software trickery as I have all the necessary inputs (as you do ) on your soundcard. As I mentioned I have a Denon Dp - DJ151 tt which has a digital out which I connect to the spdif input on the audiophile. There are several TTs that have digital outs, designed minly for ripin vinyl records, most of this tts have a normal rca line out wich does not need to be connected to a mixer "phono in", this is perfect also for timecodes. The other TT is connected using itīs phono normal out and connect it to the analog in on the soundcard, this signal is lower than the one coming from the digital tt, but it works as good as the other one, if you use a phono line preamplifyer which are not expensive your phono line signal should be much better. Then I just turn on traktor and assign the correspondant line inputs for deck a and b, and voila, nice timecode control with no issues. I have tryed this with cd decks also and no issues either. Now i have 2 tts plus my vci and a korg nano control, I can do everything now, its so fun!
    My conclusion, is quite the same as Ctran īs, it seems that the "magic" of the Audio 8 relies on the capacity to boost the phono output of a tt as a mixer phono line in would do.

So in my case i cant do it with my techncs 1210's but i could with my cdjs as i can digi out to my audiophile with one and then rca to the other. (SORRY BIG EDIT - ITS AN AUDIPHILE USB NOT A FIREWIRE SO LESS INS )

Actually you could connect the 1200s to the analog inputs also, the only issue is that the signal might be to low, but they will probably work. I only have Traktor 3.4 I donīt have Traktor scratch pro so I donīt know the behavior of this setup in TP. I tryed with the demo but I havent being able to upgrade the demo to have the scratch available.
    Your cdjs could be conencted to any input on your card as they seem to have rca and digital out, they should work fine.

It probably is in Native Instrument's interest to patch this a.s.a.p.

Before the NI forums fill up with people asking for support with unsupported hardware.

Oh the horror!
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    It probably is in Native Instrument's interest to patch this a.s.a.p.

Before the NI forums fill up with people asking for support with unsupported hardware.

Oh the horror!
    I am not sure if this is going to be the case (I may be wrong) but I think they have known this from the begining and that is why there are certain certifyed mixers and interfaces for Traktor scratch. I am sure that their first answer to a support request for different harwdare will be that it is not cerifyed for Traktor Scratch. Anyways why patch it? the most probable thing is that most of people will end up buying an Audio 4/8 beacauase there is no doubt that is ideal for traktor.

Tech Wizard

Glad to hear this is working out for some people. Still in the middle of writing up a proper tutorial, I'm going to be using these units:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UFO202.aspx

$65 shipped for two of them, and once you aggregate, you have a 4x4 device that has built in preamps and headphone monitoring, with the option to mix in Traktor with your VCI or use an external mixer, since you have a L/R output available for each deck.

Or you could buy four of these for ~$125ish to build an 8x8, but even that's getting a little bit hacky/silly for my tastes

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast