Traktor Scratch Poor (a.k.a. Ghetto Timecode Control) - Page 5
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Oy, was hoping to keep this thread drama free. I'll post the vid soon, delayed it thus far because I wanted to post it at the same time as the article for the front page.

I'm not giving out reg info just to defend against accusations from a stranger, heh. I'll run through the whole process with the 1.1.2 Mac demo download to be sure. In the meantime, any else here who also has a legit copy of TSP, feel free to chip in and prove me wrong.

Well, Karlos is a moderator on NI's forums. Not really a stranger by any stretch of the imagination.

Mudo

Look this guy on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd_mKcDF3oE&eurl

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah ok dude, i aint here to cause trouble, quite the contrary.

Ill step back from this a little until i understand it more.
    Like i say i aint here for 'drama' as you put it.

Oh and worth noting. That video posted above, Dont Believe The Hype.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 04-14-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Mudo

These guy says there is a bug in "cracked version" which accepts BCD3000 as a NI soundcard.

I doesn't want to promote piracy but it seems there are various sources of this issue (or bug).

This is the reason for my curiosity. For my DVS are outdated nowadays.

Tech Wizard

Hey Karlos,
    Sorry if it seemed like I was specifically calling you out for "drama". I just don't like being called a straight up liar. We coo, we coo?

Anyways, I do have to cede a point. Firstly, let me reiterate that I am using a fully legit, uncracked, unmodified Mac version of Traktor Scratch Pro 1.1.2 -- in my vid, I'll even download/install the demo from the NI site to prove it. Second, Karlos is correct that there is a cracked version of TSP 1.1.1 that has no hardware restrictions, which is likely the version being used in the above vid with the BCD3000.

But, there is a part of my tutorial that I didn't list where I actually unintentionally bypassed NI's hardware restrictions. It's actually hilariously simple, totally legal, and will 99.99% definitely be patched out in the next version of TSP, especially once I publicize it. Karlos or anyone else, you're free to hit me up via PM or AIM and I'll let you know what it is, but I'd rather not reveal it until I write my article, since it's my first one at DJTT and I want it to have some impact.
    Last edited by ctran; 04-14-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ctran View Post
    But, there is a part of my tutorial that I didn't list where I actually unintentionally bypassed NI's hardware restrictions. It's actually hilariously simple, totally legal, and will 99.99% definitely be patched out in the next version of TSP.

Why is the first question that comes to mind? I can understand that NI wants to make money but isn't that a pretty monopolistic policy that will prevent NI's userbase from spreading, where in contrast with other restricted timecode vinyl software (really just in contrast with SSL, since Ms. Pinky and others aren't as widely used afaik) allowing the Scratch software to be unrestricted w/ regards to hardware would be more attractive for new users who could start using TSP for the cost of the software + timecode vinyl cost (assuming they already have the necessary other gear and are using another software) and wouldn't have to buy a 2nd soundcard that does extra except being recognized and allowed. Regardless of whether or not NI implements this freedom, people will likely hack the software to implement this as it saves serious cash and increases compatability. So hopefully (probably very much in vain) they will not patch this *problem* out.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Wizard

It's just about the money, and you can't blame NI for trying to make a profit. Right now, they make a tidy sum by selling the Audio8/Audio4 and also selling "Traktor Scratch Certified" licenses to other mixer/soundcard manufacturers. This workaround will adversely affect that, so it's really more that they have to, not that they hate the bedroom DJ or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    I can understand that NI wants to make money but isn't that a pretty monopolistic policy that will prevent NI's userbase from spreading, where in contrast with other restricted timecode vinyl software (really just in contrast with SSL, since Ms. Pinky and others aren't as widely used afaik) allowing the Scratch software to be unrestricted w/ regards to hardware would be more attractive for new users who could start using TSP for the cost of the software + timecode vinyl cost (assuming they already have the necessary other gear and are using another software) and wouldn't have to buy a 2nd soundcard that does extra except being recognized and allowed.
    Holy run on sentence Batman!

Take a breath boy!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by ctran View Post
    but I'd rather not reveal it until I write my article, since it's my first one at DJTT and I want it to have some impact.
    I actually find it surprising that DJTT would officially publish an article on this.

Not that anything's been mentioned yet, but if NI patches this and an article is posted, then DJTT could be seen as propagating an exploit in a company that supports them (and vice versa).

Questions I'd ask myself:
    What are you really gaining by posting and endorsing this article?
    What are the consequences of posting this endorsed article?
    Is it worth any foreseeable trouble?

Just my $.02.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast