Traktor Scratch Poor (a.k.a. Ghetto Timecode Control) - Page 4
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

yes, thats why i was wondering. i coudl switch to external timecode, i could even setup the soudncard to the cannels which is deck a and deck b etc, however nothing showed up, not even in the calibration thing.. maybe i should try it again someday

Mudo

I understand is possible to run TSP in vinyl mode with any soundcard as "agregate device" but I'm not sure if it works. I ask for this setup.

About Timecodes they are different and Torq and Ms.P are manufactured by the same (Babytalk FX) it is special one, don't "mix" things...

Video?

Tech Wizard

i know that torq and mspinky are the same engine. im talking about serato traktor scratch and final scratch vinyls, just try it by yourself. the timecode is pretty much the same. this dodesnt mean tat you can ctually use it. the ptich is toally out of range, the ms pinky and torq tiemcode runs backwards, and you cant use absolute mode, but its not that the timecode is getting compeltely ignored when using it with other systems. the music plays just in a complety wrong matter but its isnt skipping or soemthing...
    however this thread is not about using timecode with another software, i was just wondering that nothing happened at all wehn ive tried it...

Mudo

Quote Originally Posted by ctran View Post
    So after a few hours of tweaking, I have a working timecode vinyl control setup within Traktor Scratch Pro without the Audio8, or any other pricey 4in/4out card. In fact, my external soundcard only has 2 inputs! Since Traktor only allows you to use one sound device at a time, combining your available devices involves a little bit of software trickery. Here's my current setup:

• 2 used Technics SL-1200MK2 turntables ($200 each)
    • 2 Traktor Scratch Control Vinyl ($12 each)
    • Four RCA female-female barrel connectors and two RCA-to-1/8" adapters ($6 shipped from Monoprice.com)
    • VCI-100 1.3fw w/ Black DJTT SE Skin ($300, bought from NateD)
    • Miglia HarmonyAudio 2in/8out Firewire Card ($30 from Amazon)
    • Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 2.4ghz ($600, bought broken and repaired)

Oh, and a free copy of Traktor Scratch Pro from a friend who bought it and decided he liked Serato better

Total: $1360.

Here's how my current setup is connected:

1) Technics Deck A: Connect barrel connectors to phono output, then use RCA-to-1/8" to connect to Macbook Pro's stereo line-in.

2) Technics Deck B: Connect barrel connectors to phono output, then use RCA-to-1/8" to connect to HarmonyAudio's stereo line-in.

3) Onto the software trickery! Open up the Audio Midi Setup app in /Applications/Utilities and create an Aggregate Audio Device. More information here: http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/aggregateaudio/. My Aggregate Device is:

Macbook Line-In (2 in, resampled)
    HarmonyAudio (2 in / 8 out, set as clock)

You'll want to set the clock to whatever device you're outputting to, and resample all your other devices to keep them in sync.

The order of your devices in the list is that order that Traktor will see the inputs/outputs on the Aggregate Device. So if my list is in the above order, then in Traktor I would see:

"Aggregate Device (4 in, 8 out)"

...which would correlate as listed below, for me.

Aggregate Device In 0 -- Macbook Line-In Channel 0
    Aggregate Device In 1 -- Macbook Line-In Channel 1
    Aggregate Device In 2 -- HarmonyAudio In Channel 0
    Aggregate Device In 3 -- HarmonyAudio In Channel 1
    Aggregate Device Out 0 -- HarmonyAudio Out Channel 0
    Aggregate Device Out 1 -- HarmonyAudio Out Channel 1
    Aggregate Device Out 2-7 -- HarmonyAudio Out Channel 2-7

You'll likely have a different soundcard, and therefore a different quantity and combination of inputs/outputs, so I'm just defining the connections to clarify my example setup.

4) Now open up Traktor Scratch Pro. Set your audio device to the Aggregate Device, map your Input Routing/Output Routing, and go to Timecode Setup. Should now be seeing a timecode signal for Decks A and B!

I had to adjust my inputs until I got a strong enough signal for Traktor to read the timecode. On my HarmonyAudio box I just turned the input gain all the way up, and for the Macbook Pro line-in, I went to Sound Preferences and set it Line-In to 75% gain (just before the 4th tick). Once everything was set, I had a solid, responsive vinyl setup, with a 2.5ms latency.

Right now, I'm only using two of my soundcard's outputs into my monitors. For when I use this in a club, I would just use the HarmonyAudio's 8 outputs into the club mixer. 4 for Decks A&B into the mixer, 2 for monitoring and 2 for rec/ other line out.

I'll put a vid of this setup working if anybody wants it, but a lot of you should have similar enough gear to try this out for yourselves. Good luck!

--

Charlie Tran, Brooklyn bedroom DJ / web developer

Isn' t?

But you are trying different timecode whe we are talking about pass off the "soundcard Dongle"

Maybe I missed something...

Mudo

Quote Originally Posted by KLOSELINE View Post
    i know that torq and mspinky are the same engine. im talking about serato traktor scratch and final scratch vinyls, just try it by yourself. the timecode is pretty much the same. this dodesnt mean tat you can ctually use it. the ptich is toally out of range, the ms pinky and torq tiemcode runs backwards, and you cant use absolute mode, but its not that the timecode is getting compeltely ignored when using it with other systems. the music plays just in a complety wrong matter but its isnt skipping or soemthing...
    It is not so simple...

Quote Originally Posted by KLOSELINE View Post
    however this thread is not about using timecode with another software, i was just wondering that nothing happened at all wehn ive tried it...
    Yes it is about using TSP with another hardware and the original timecode.

Tech Wizard

omg just try it, know that its not the same, but its pretty much the same...

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post

Period.
    A couple comments on this.

If 'Ctran' is truly 'laughing' (or whatever) at your first post when you mentioned this, then he could supply you with his Registration number and you can verify it, right?

Secondly, I think I might be naive with this timecode + software + hardware technology, because I can't wrap my mind around why it would make a difference if he is using a cracked copy of the software or not. Doesn't the hardware play any specific role in the timecode formula?

Better question...HOW does the hardware play a role in the formula?

If you can 'crack' TPro to use any soundcard input, why can't you do the same for Serato? Shit...that would be the best solution, as they provide their full software package for free, but it's useless unless you have the SL-1, SL-3, or the TTM-57SL.
    Last edited by Chilly; 04-14-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Maybe yeah. But that doesnt mean hes using that registered version.
    Although im not sure what you mean there fella, that was my first post in this thread. is that what you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by ctran View Post
    BTW, a big for the NI forum dude who assumes I'm using a cracked version of Traktor.
    ...just assumed he meant you...

My point about the timecode and you being able to follow through is that he explicitly stated he had a legit version of the software. Far be it for me to call shenanigans on his comment, but you have the power to validate that claim.

This is pretty serious stuff. If you are able to do this with a legit version of TPro, then it may make the purchase of a Traktor Certified soundcard/mixer obsolete.

Mudo

Ok,
    Anybody else?

I use Ms. Pinky but is pure curiosity!

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast