Traktor Scratch Poor (a.k.a. Ghetto Timecode Control) - Page 11
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

I don't know if it is just where I shop for my stuff, but every version of Traktor Scratch I have ever seen already comes with an Audio8DJ or Audio4. I may be wrong, but the whole argument is moot if the software was legally purchased.
    DVS setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DPDJ-101, Numark DXM06, Novation Dicer, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 8DJ
    Controller setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DN-SC2000, Denon DN120X, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 2DJ,

Jack Bastard

I can't believe that people honestly think this is a viable alternative to having a Traktor certified soundcard or mixer.

Of course they do...look at the posts! Someone wrote that they have a setup for $70 now (or whatever the cost was)...

This is what I'm talking about...it's not going to end. People want their stuff for free, and they will continue to exploit products in order to do so.

Jack Bastard

If what you say is true then those people wouldn't buy it anyway.

Tech Wizard

Since this thread is getting a bit cluttered, anyone with a question regarding this setup is more than welcome to PM me. As for the full tutorial and vid, I'll post it in a new thread once I've finished editing it and squashing these last few bugs.

Thinking about it, I still reckon NI will probably close this loophole. There are a few cracked copies of TSPro flying about, and if you can scrobble together a viable audio interface out of a few rubber bands and paper clips then NI will be getting zero $$$ for their product. It is in their financial interest to nix this one ASAP.

I think it may perhaps be damaging to NI to leave it open anyway. Present company excepted, it appears to me that the technical knowledge of your average DJ isn't too great. The NI traktor forum is full of people who don't understand beatgrids or cabling or OS optimisation or how to RTFM and blame the product. I think this will still be the case when they can't aggregate devices or their pre-amps aren't very good or whatever.

Mind you, there was a good point on owning the 'certified' gear for peace of mind. How many people own a Hackintosh?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Mind you, there was a good point on owning the 'certified' gear for peace of mind. How many people own a Hackintosh?
    I know of atleast 2 forum members. And I see where ur going with this Lethal_P.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    I know of atleast 2 forum members. And I see where ur going with this Lethal_P.
    Do you? I'm not sure I am!
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Just keeping an eye in here.

No word from Ean. So this one still goes as long as things are kept friendly in here!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

I have a feeling this won't be plugged any time soon. The difference between Traktor and Serato is that whilst Serato are keeping a very closed system in terms of what hardware you can use, NI are opting to allow other manufacturers to make Traktor Certified mixers and sound devices.

If they stop people from using anything other than the certified products, what happens when a manufacturer wants to release another certified product onto the market? NI would have to release a new version of TPro which enabled the scratch capabilities for the new hardware ID every time a new Traktor certified product is released.

In addition to this, now that the cat is out of the bag, and people are aware they can use pretty much any soundcard with the correct level inputs for timecode control, I suspect it would reflect badly on them if they were to plug this hole, as they would be seen as doing it purely to protect their own interests and profit margins. Fair enough, they're a company, that's what companies do, but I think long-term, perhaps this is something they can use for them, rather than against them...

I kinda see Serato and Traktor as the Mac and PC of the DJ world - one is a very closed system, works only with it's own hardware and is pretty much plug and play (Serato/Mac). The other is much more open in the hardware it will work with, but because of this can take a great deal more time to get set up how you want it, and because it works with a multitude of different hardware configurations, sometimes things happen that the devs can't foresee at the testing phase, so strange things can sometimes happen (Traktor/PC). People get very passionate about which one is better, but in reality, they're just different ways of achieving the same thing. Personally, I'm a Traktor guy, but I play often on Serato systems, and love it for it's simplicity and intuitiveness - I figured out what was going on within 2 minutes of being on the decks, something I sometimes wish I could say of Traktor (I'm still figuring some things out with Pro).

The point I'm making here though is what sets Traktor apart from Serato is it's openness, and this ability to use any soundcard with it just enforces that. If NI were smart, they'd embrace this as an opportunity to sell more software, rather than a hole to plug.

Fus

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast