One button: select AND enable effect
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default One button: select AND enable effect

Hello,
    I'm trying to map a button (note.D5, modifier:m8=1) so that when i press it a number of things happen:
    1. a certain effect gets selected
    2. the effect gets set yo a certain value
    3. the effect gets turned on
    4. the effect value slowly increases

I made the following mapping:

Problem is, this works only works if the right effect is already selected. If another effect is selected when i press the button it selects the right effect but doesn't turn it on!

How do I get this right?

Cheers,
    thepillow

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Try removing the modifier variable from the fx select command

Tech Convert

the modifier is needed because the button is in SHIFT mode. Otherwise the effect will also be selected when i press the button without the shift function on.

Tech Mentor

i know this problem.....the fact is that if you have another effect selected the software work like this: 1° select the new effect, 2°every other command.....i've this issue also with my mapp
    I'm back guys
    One Dream http://soundcloud.com/stefanomdj/one-dream-stefanomdj
    StefanoM. Dj

traktor does seem to try and workout the most sensible way of processing the data with least conflicts when u stack multiple controls to the same midi input - but does often get it wrong - or at least not do what u wanted.

i had a similar issue with some midimasher code to enable the pseudo postfaderefx mode but i thought the only thing that didn't work in the end was that if the effects unit had to change from group to single then all the other settings got ignored - but on a second press they all worked.

this is what i setup to do that:

Code:
            traktor.fx_control{
                unit = unit,
                mode = "single",
                fx = "Gater",
                param1 = ON,
                button1 = ON,
                button2 = OFF,
                drywet = 127 - math.floor(vol/2),
                active = ON,
                deck_a = ON
            }
    from experiments it seems there's very little (zero) difference in traktor between stacking multiple controls to one midi input or sending traktor a whole bunch of messages within a very short space of time (<3ms) so this should work just as tho u had mapped all those controls to one button etc.

for some reason traktor just ignores everything after the mode=single if the effects unit was in group mode previously. pain in the ass...

in midimasher speak tho what u are doing is something like this that should work with any issues i thought:

Code:
            traktor.fx_control{
                unit = 1,
                fx = "Delay T3",
                param1 = 38,
                param2 = 72,
                param3 = 27,
                drywet = 50,
                active = ON,
                deck_a = ON
            }
    by "the effect value slowly increases" u mean u have an auto-repeat in button mode to ramp up or down some fx unit value?
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Convert

Hey thanks for the help guys, but i'm afraid the whole programming thing is a bit too much for me. However, i'm still under the impression that i can achieve what i want with just traktor (selecting AND activating an effect with one button), because this is exactly what the guys from djtecht do with their instant gratification mapping for midi fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by thepillow View Post
    Hey thanks for the help guys, but i'm afraid the whole programming thing is a bit too much for me. However, i'm still under the impression that i can achieve what i want with just traktor (selecting AND activating an effect with one button), because this is exactly what the guys from djtecht do with their instant gratification mapping for midi fighter.
    i thought it should work fine in traktor so long as you're not also changing the effect unit mode between single and group.

i didn't *think* that traktor treated selecting an affect how StefanoMDj described it - but i don't really map just in traktor any more so not 100% sure...

if u just use some spare button for debug and map an effects select and turning on that effect it doesn't work if u have some other effect currently selected? (just to take modifiers and anything else out of the equation that might be affecting it)
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Convert

Oh hurray, i just found the solution! thought i'd share it here. Under settings, effects tab, i switched off: restore fx parameterers when switching. I'm so happy!

Quote Originally Posted by thepillow View Post
    Oh hurray, i just found the solution! thought i'd share it here. Under settings, effects tab, i switched off: restore fx parameterers when switching. I'm so happy!
    ah... cunning... i hadn't even noticed that setting just unchecked the option on my traktor too. *maybe* it'll even allow switching fx unit modes now...

Tech Convert

I think it will allow you to do that, because the midi fighter also does that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast