Am I crazy for really wanting and considering a pair of CDJ-2000s? - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by M.Beijer View Post
    There's allways a good second hand deal around the corner, just keep eyes open
    If there's a person on these boards who'll be able to find a great deal on a pair of used CDJs, it's Xone, no doubt.
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Xone, dude I totally feel you. Gearlust is like a disease.
    I think the only prescription for you is to get a second job to afford these babies.

Despite me liking to work on smart mappings and also possessing a shitload of controllers (VCI-300, NS7, V7, a lot of Akai stuff etc.) I always felt the need for something simple.

Even though I'm really lazy since getting the CDJs onvercoming the hurdle to start mixing has become really low. They are great fun to use and you don't need to deal with all the bullshit that comes with using a PC (besides Rekordbox).

DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Tech Mentor

man, that's a bad ass setup .. how does it feel playing the cdjs on the top shelf? ...
    2 Technics M5Gs - 4 Technics mk2s - Novation Dicers - Rane Sixty-two - Monster Beats By Dre. Pro - KrK Rokit 6s - Avid Mini box - Pro Tools - Pioneer DDJ SX - Novation Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post
    I think the only prescription for you is to get a second job to afford these babies.

Despite me liking to work on smart mappings and also possessing a shitload of controllers (VCI-300, NS7, V7, a lot of Akai stuff etc.) I always felt the need for something simple.

Even though I'm really lazy since getting the CDJs onvercoming the hurdle to start mixing has become really low. They are great fun to use and you don't need to deal with all the bullshit that comes with using a PC (besides Rekordbox).

[im]http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/6383/33802926345594663891327.jpg[/img]

Yeah man, that's pretty much how I feel. So did you think the CDJ2ks were absolutely worth the investment?

Quote Originally Posted by jsa83 View Post
    man, that's a bad ass setup .. how does it feel playing the cdjs on the top shelf? ...
    Not good actually. It's too high. I kept them at the lower level with the mixer for a while which felt a lot better but I recently started working with vinyl again. Basically I don't know where to place them and don't want to spend 350 bucks on a stand.

Yeah man, that's pretty much how I feel. So did you think the CDJ2ks were absolutely worth the investment?
    Yes, they are a lot of fun. Judging by what you explain in your first post they might be what you are looking for. While there are alternatives like the 900s I understand that you also crave for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post

Off topic:

Saw you got a djm 2000 there, what u think bout it? Any sense of upgrading a proper working djm 800?
    as I got some gear hunger atm i have also been looking to incorporate a zone mixer, either 92 or 62. Most of all id like the DB4 but have not seen any good deals on them yet.. and.. gah so expensive.

I've been using the DJM-2000 for some while now and like it a lot. It's build- and sound-quality are very good. I'm a little bit disappointed with the crossfader because there is too much space (for my taste) until it cuts in.

There is just so much to do with this mixer that you can't utilize everything it offers by yourself. I'd say its a two guy mixer. While the touchscreen is handy the effects you can trigger on it don't really convince me. You can trigger drums and some oscillators with it but I only used it live to connect to the audience by giving them something done 'live'. I have yet to find songs where these positvely complement the songs.
    The touchscreen itself is responsive and fast. Using the extra MIDI-controls works pretty good. I'd love to be able to create my own mappings.
    The coolest feature about it is the EQ-crossfader where you can blend like 10 different frequency-bands. If you're into long transitions this seems to be the holy grail. While you can do silimiar stuff with the EQs this is in fact much smoother.

The intergration between CDJs and DJM could be better. You can record samples to be played back on the CDJs and the recording itself is well thought (always caching the last 8 seconds) but actually putting the stuff on a CDJ should be faster. The coolest feature is that depending on line- and crossfader-position you always see which CDJ is actively playing.

Coming from a DJM 800 I wouldn't upgrade because of the huge price leap. If you need the MIDI features of the mixer though you might look at this one or the DJM 900 Nexus. If you're into effects the DJM 2000 is a great choice too because it basically contains an EFX-1000 on steroids. Applying effects just to parts of the frequency band is a great approach because that can make effects-usage much smoother.

The great advantage of Xone 62 and 92 is that they're fully analogue mixers and add some warmth to the overall sounds.

I tried the DB4 for like a half an hour but I felt no connection. When it comes to A&H-mixers though Xone might be the man to talk to.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    HH is right on the money when he says the CDJ2ks are a blast and allow you to shrug off the BS/excess effort you're experiencing being tied to your laptop. Analyzing/prepping tracks in RekordBox takes just minutes and you're off to the races.

IMO, they're absolutely worth the investment and then some simply due to the simplicity and overall enjoyment that comes from mixing w/ 'em.

Just you, your tunes, and your decks. (and a Xone DB4)

Tech Convert

Im in the same dilema and am wanting to upgrade from my 800mk2 to either 900 or 2000 due to mainly the usb/xlink capability. Only thing stopping me from getting the 900s is that im afraid that ill end up wanting to 2000s.

Yeah. Now that i've been looking into I also may have just decided to jump to cdj2000s. Not even go with 900s. I mean at that point I might as well get the best. Besides that I'm hoping after this years cdjs Llater I can invest in a djm 900 and replace my 700.

CDJs feel the most organic smooth flowing way to mix for me. Your hand and head all stay near the cdjs and mixer, you can find all your tracks on the browers, you are very connected to the music still.

I find laptops really distracting. You stare at it, adjusting, watching waveforms, looking for tracks, working effects and such. Then usually the laptop is directly in your face, or off to the side, either way the crowd never gets to see you look at them.

Don't get me wrong I still use controllers and laptops and such for other gigs that are super long. But for at home or a house party throwing down a set on these bad boys is amazingly fun and still challenging.
    Last edited by guiltyblade; 01-24-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast