13 yr old just getting started/What soundcard is best for Numark Mixtrack LE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default 13 yr old just getting started/What soundcard is best for Numark Mixtrack

My son is just getting started, he's 13 and has been playing with several DJ'ing programs like Virtual DJ while we sorted out if this was something he was going to stick with. Now that its been 2 1/2 months and he seems committed I'm trying to find out what he would need to get started. I just placed the order or his Midi controler, Numark Mixtrack with Virtual DJ LE, and of course,now he figures out, after winning the auction that this doesn't come with an internal soundcard and that we have to buy one. What would you suggest for someone who is just getting started? Something inexpensive but good quality that will do what he needs and last I'm ok with used as long as it works. I'm a single parent with a very limited income and I've already spent more than I planned on the MIDI so now it is starting to get more complex than he first explained and is costing more than he said it would. As far as computer, I'm sure it will have some impact and he'll run to me saying he needs a RAM upgrade or it wont work, he will most likely be using my Dell Studio XPS 1640 laptop with (3gigs of RAM and a core 2 duo) or his Toshiba Satellite (2Gig Ram, Intel Celeron processor). He will be doing school dances and friends parties. Any suggestions are welcome but the Midi is on its way via Ebay so we're kinda stuck with it. Also what other things will he need? Anything/companies to stay away from?
    Last edited by fL3AbOn3; 01-07-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Tech Guru

Native Instruments' Audio 2 DJ is cheap (under $100 brand new) , and has top notch sound quality. You can probably find one used on ebay as well.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...aktor-audio-2/

first off you are a great parent, wish mine took as much of an interest when I was a kid

now unfortunately the version of vdj you are getting does not support external soundcards, your options are either obtain a copy of vdj 7 pro which does allow external soundcards and get something like the Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ I got one off ebay for $50 AUS, it is the best quality card although you could also look at

reloop play
    numark dj i/o
    m audio connectiv
    maya 44
    hercules dj trim

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=audio+2+dj&x=0&y=0"]Amazon.com: audio 2 dj: Musical Instruments[/ame]

or you could get a pair of numark pdx usb headphones that will work for cueing up a track with vdj LE, and use the standard output on the computer, this tricks the program into thinking you have 2 onboard soundcards.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Numark-PHX-USB-Analog-Headphones/dp/B0038YX39K"]Amazon.com: Numark PHX USB USB + Analog Dj Headphones: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-2bFgFzuL.@@AMEPARAM@@41-2bFgFzuL[/ame]

In regard to the laptop you have should be fine for running LE as the program is not very cpu intensive, I can run the pro version on a netbook at 1.66ghz 2gb ram, so yours will be fine.

good luck
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Buy an Native Instruments Audio 4. I know you've seen the Audio 2, and I like that card, but the Audio 4 is a better choice for a few reasons:
    1. Cost: An Audio 2 is $50 bucks; the Audio 4 can be found on eBay or here in the forums for roughly 100 bucks pretty regularly.

2. Output system: The audio 2 uses nothing but 1/4 inch jacks. This requires adapters to wire into a system. While they are included with the unit, it's a PITA and if you lose the adapters, you're stuck with 1/4 inch inputs. The Audio 4 has 2 inputs and 2 outputs (RCA) as a well as a 1/4 inch headphone jack with a physical volume knob.

3. Expandability.
    When your son gets to the point where he wants a DVS setup, all you have to do is buy Traktor Scratch, and the audio 4 will run two channels of timecode.
    The audio 2 isn't compatible with timecode at all, so if you wanted to go DVS, you'd need an Audio 4/6/8/10 anyways. You're spending an extra 50-75 bucks to make sure you don't have to spend another 200 or more down the road for a soundcard with DVS inputs.

I have an Audio 4 and I love it. I started on a VCI-100, and when I realized that I needed timecode for my mixing style, all I had to do was procure the 1200s and the scratch upgrade, and I was golden.

Tech Mentor

If you need re-assurance, the numark mixtrack is a solid product for the money and a great buy for a beginner. I along with several other people on the forum have one, so if you have any questions/problems, they'll get addressed pretty quickly here on the forums. Also, I run the mixtrack plus a novation launchpad(other midi controller) on my Macbook with 2.0ghz core2 duo, and only 1GB of ram without any problems, so it should run very smoothly on your computer.
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

As someone mentioned, basic VDJ does not support external soundcards, however, your Mixtrack will be supported by Serato DJ Intro, which is free, so you shouldn't need to worry about software.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    As someone mentioned, basic VDJ does not support external soundcards, however, your Mixtrack will be supported by Serato DJ Intro, which is free, so you shouldn't need to worry about software.
    No it won't. Intro only supports the Mixtrack Pro.

Tech Mentor

you need to get your boy a soundcard and some software.

You can get an audio 2 dj and traktor pro for around $100 each. Look at the buy/sell threads here.

And the soundcard and software have good re-sell value, so it can't be a terrible investment.
    I AM A DISK JERKER

Tech Mentor

Ah, VDJ LE, how I hate you so.

i second the vote for the NI Audio DJ 2. the output jacks aren't ideal, but definitely workable. and the sound quality is great.

also, i'm pretty sure djtt posted a blog not too long ago about free/cheap dj softwares.

props for being a cool dad
    !
    Vista | Traktor Pro 2 | VCI-400 EGE | VCI-100 Arcade | MF Pro Beat Masher | MidiFighter Classic (pics)
    Soundcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast