RANT: people and their prices for used equipment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default RANT: people and their prices for used equipment

i'm in the market for a new mixer...i found a denon dnx-120 and dude is asking 180 for it...i found it new for 159.99 with free shipping...

i've seen this alot lately that people have a high opinion of their used equipment and are asking stupid prices for it...and then get defensive and pissy when you bring it to their attention...

whats fair? 60-70 percent of lowest retail?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

What's fair depends on the exact gear. Some vintage stuff is worth more than NOS or re-issue. But a budget mixer that is competent at everything and good at nothing doesn't really count.

Chances are he got it as a gift or overpaid to some mom & pop store and has never heard of buying DJ gear on the internet. Just look elsewhere.

Tech Mentor

People get really defensive with their equipment. Whats interesting to remember is that most of these people think that their equipment is like fucking perfect and they can sell it for retail price.

You have to remember that both of you guys are looking for a deal here. He's trying the get the most he can, your trying to get the cheapest.

Be negotiable. You gotta prod him to get the best price.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    What's fair depends on the exact gear. Some vintage stuff is worth more than NOS or re-issue. But a budget mixer that is competent at everything and good at nothing doesn't really count.

Chances are he got it as a gift or overpaid to some mom & pop store and has never heard of buying DJ gear on the internet. Just look elsewhere.
    i'm sure some vintage stuff does fetch a fair penny...

dude just "dropped" his price to 150... <shakeshead>

elsewhere is probaby my best bet...

I used to screw with people like that on craigslist, now I just move on. Even if you could get a reasonable price for it do you really want to put up with their nonsense to save like $20? These are the same people who will have you run around to meet them then stand you up or or don't pick up their phone or return emails. I only deal with those people if the deal is insane and I'm saving hundreds of dollars to put up with a little bs.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I used to screw with people like that on craigslist, now I just move on. Even if you could get a reasonable price for it do you really want to put up with their nonsense to save like $20? These are the same people who will have you run around to meet them then stand you up or or don't pick up their phone or return emails. I only deal with those people if the deal is insane and I'm saving hundreds of dollars to put up with a little bs.
    Exactly. Most of these people will stand you up or create some bullshit excuse why they can't meet you. I never really put too much faith in craigslist. You can get some killer deals, but you gotta deal with some weird people.

For example. I got my stanton t-60's for like 80 bucks. For both of them, with the case. After searching around for a while and dealing with a bunch of bull, i finally found a good deal. After we negotiated.
    15 inch macbook pro - Traktor Kontrol S2 - Stanton T-60's - Traktor Audio 10
    I'm Dj Kave Check me out : )
    Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/djkave
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/djkavex Fan Page : )

Id say no more the ~75% for great condition used equipment, I have a friend trying to sell an X1 with a bag for $250 (Canadian) and a local store will sell the same bundle new for $270. Almost everything used in my area is overpriced and has been for sale for many months before they sell to some sucker...

half retail if its opened. standard.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Just dont try and school them because you'll kill any kind of deal and come off as being arrogant and douchy. Just wait a week till they get desperate and ask if they will take whatever your offer might be.

At that point if they let you know how much they paid, let them know how cheap it is elsewhere and all your willing to offer is 'x' amount...if they wont accept move on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast