Leaving the Bedroom - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Jack Bastard

Find a night that plays what you do, schmooze and ply them with cds.

Be good, play better music than other people. If everyone plays what you do then it's going to be tricky getting gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    sorry if i came across as the same old same old - i didnt know quite what to search for... but thanks anyway!

Agreed.

Make mates with the other DJ's. They will put in a good word when their is a cancellation etc.

Another thing....is you dealing with promoters...is to be professional.

Get a decent mix, on a labeled CD with your particulars. Hand it to him when he is not too busy.
    Remind him that you gave him a demo when you see him. (DON'T NAG!)

Also, they need to listen to a good few demo's, so it would be in your interest not to just burn it to disc as one long file.

I put search index in mine and put it like 30 secs before the mix.....so he can skip through the mixes. This helps.....really does.

Get yourself a decent myspace page or something where they can lookup your info when you get Googled. (yes.....they do that too!)

I played for free for SOOO long. Once I got a free gig at a big party (just before the headliner) and really outdid myself. I still have that mix and its regarded as my best.

I was called the next asking if i would be their resident.
    I then started charging....but they paid me peanuts.

I got fed-up and moved to another Organisation (they really wanted me and was more my style).

I upped my fee and got more gigs than ever!!

Seems that if you charge too little, they regard you as amatuer.

So yeah....in conclusion, use these tips as a guide mate and feel your way through your situation.
    Its sometimes better to do things the hardway!

Good LUCK!!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    sorry if i came across as the same old same old - i didnt know quite what to search for... but thanks anyway!
    It's all good, really. We've talked about this a lot, and there are lots of resources here for advice and help, don't let that go to waste (especially being some of those guys don't post around here anymore)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Merged these threads to make one thread where everyone can focus their discussion on this

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Agreed.
    I put search index in mine and put it like 30 secs before the mix.....so he can skip through the mixes. This helps.....really does.
    Cheers man, that's really darn useful just wondering, what exactly do you mean by a search index?

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    Cheers man, that's really darn useful just wondering, what exactly do you mean by a search index?
    Like any normal CD will have a search index....like....track 1.....track 2 etc.

So if you do the same with your mix....and put the reference point before the mix, when the listener skips forward a track, it will land just before the mix into the next track.

I do it in Nero mate.....

LOL!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

oh sweet! I get you - i thought you meant some sort of index at the beginning or something! awesome! Do u reckon an hours a good length of time? I never know whether to play a whole song at a time or not, and mix the next one in during the outro, or cut it in half way thru with fancy FX... I guess that's just a product of me getting bored in my room! lol probably best to just play them all through and do the FX during the songs (but without overkill...)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I think an hour is a good length for a mix.

And just vary the mixing. If it's all the same, it gets boring. If it's TOO varied it can seem chaotic. Just made a good mix, that's all.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Default How to get noticed?

Alright tech tools. the past week or so I have been in a mind of my own trying to get some gigs in some dance clubs around my area. I contacted other DJ's through facebook and told them to check out my promo mix but no responses yet anywas. What im asking for is some good ideas on how to get noticed? I don't really know anyone who would be of any benefit to me, So im on my own. SO...ANY IDEAS or EXPERIENCES that can help me out?
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast