Leaving the Bedroom - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Thanks for the info, I am thinking of burning a 30 min mix instead of a 1hr. mix as this would let me focus on making it as perfect as possible, and I feel like if people want more they can check out the contact info/myspace. Would you guys give some of my current hour mix a listen and tell me what you think, I really don't want to be a microwave dj and leave the bedroom prematurely, but everyone I know who has heard this has liked it although they are lay people, and I want some more experienced opinions if you wouldn't mind.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4173

i think its highly dependant on the place you live. how many people, how many people in the scene, how much competition etc.
    when i left the bedroom i basically just told every person i knew (pre facebook days) that i was keen to play music anytime anywhere for free. eventually someone saw me (and midifidler) playing some crazy dnb down in the basement of a death metal castle and asked us to play at a gig. and it just grew from there
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Downloading now. I'll give it a spin on the train ride home and report back. Yeah, I'd stick with a 30min promo.
    Hell, I've even stood outside gyms and handed out my CD in earlier days. They were lovin' it for workouts. Promo is promo.

Tech Guru

Will do regarding the promo art. I know a bunch of guys who are graphic designers so that shouldn't be a problem. I am going to make a shortened 30 minutes of straight bangin' tracks and just have it be very punchy and go hard almost the whole time excepting 1 or 2 tracks for a quick cooldown. If my avg. track is around 4-6 min do you think I should be rotating alot of tracks (~15 w/ very little initial buildup between songs) or should I just let it stay lower around maybe 7-10 tracks? When I get home I am going to start making my myspace. I need to finalize my name. I currently am using DJ NikNak but it seems kinda annoying to me because everytime I tell it to someone they say "Nik Nak patty wack". Which could be a problem for being taken seriously, having a comical name. So I guess I am up for name suggestions even though I have given you guys little to go on.

standing outside a gym handing out CD's is a great idea! i've never thought of that... think i might start doing that

Quote Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
    standing outside a gym handing out CD's is a great idea! i've never thought of that... think i might start doing that
    Can't tell if that was sarcasm...haha, but seriously, it works. It's not like I had a sandwich board sign on or anything, but just stated: FREE Workout CD...and they came running. Out here, there are at least 1-2 gyms on every other block. Even if it costs you a few bucks to pass out a couple hundred CD's, it could pay off in the end. All you need is for the right ONE person to hear it. Like someone said earlier, it all depends on where you are too. I've also seen business cards that are mini CD's. Same size as a business card, but able to play short mixes with all your business info on the front.
    As far as song selection....Sorry, I can't tell you how to DJ. Just be you. Afterall, that's what your trying to sell. It's gotta catch the promoter/managers attention in the first few minutes, or else it could become a drink coaster.

oh yeah...we can't give you a name bud...I feel it has to be given to you. What do your friends call you? I got BodegaBrad, because my name is Brad, and I live above a Bodega. I'm always in one grabbing a 40oz or sandwich...so the name stuck. But I've had others thruought my days.
    Last edited by Bodega Brad; 03-23-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Tech Guru

Most just call me by my last name, Petersen. You are right about the mixing, that does have to be me, thanks for the reminder. (no sarcasm)

Cool man, good luck. Whatever name that sticks in peoples heads the most is gonna work. I changed my name a time or two, but people still would call me by my other name...even tho it was one of the corniest around.

Quote Originally Posted by BodegaBrad View Post
    All you need is for the right ONE person to hear it.
    so true, you basically gotta just slut yourself out hard until some pimp picks you up
    Last edited by Kaon; 03-23-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    I am going to send in some stuff to the college radio station and want to get a gig for an on campus "International Dance Music Party" that is being hosted as part of an international week on campus.
    I've also done the college radio thing. It's really fun if you have a cool PD that lets you play whatever. Most kids that had shows though, were in the communications program. If you're not, then befriend someone who is...plus you'll prob. get free music. It helped me get my name and music out there even more, and was one of the main reasons why I moved to NYC.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast