Leaving the Bedroom - Page 11
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

please keep on topic, i just removed 21 posts from this thread that were off topic

It's like driving a car. When you first start you're all gawky and thinking about the technical stuff "left foot clutch, mirror, signal maneuver..."

Now I get in a car and think about where i'm going.

You need to practice in your bedroom till you're confident on your tools (be that vinyl, cds, controller, etc). Then you can feel confident when you're playing out that you can look up and read the crowd.

House parties are best way to start no doubt

Reading a crowd is simply seeing if people are enjoying themselves. If the dance floor is empty, change what you're playing, and do it quickly, even if you just chop the tune over on a break or whatever (or just echo out last track and drop new one in - thank god for echo). Then when people start raving, work with that style.

Also judge when you are playing, if you're playing a warm up set, don't drop mega bangers, people aren't ready to hear them so it's a waste. Also other djs and promoters on the night wont appreciate you wasting the big tunes. warm people up, work towards the energy.

Don't stress about showing off mixes until you have the crowd going. Once you have clocked what they have like and they are up and dancing then start introducing the pre worked out mixes with the style of music you're playing with.

Basically get confident on your tools so you can just focus on reading the crowd and playing good music that people at the party want to hear.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I was lucky enough to be friends with DJs and promoters when I was getting into everything in Albany, and got my start booking shows. When I wanted to be a DJ I got a shareware copy of eJay for free and practiced my ass off.

I made a shit ton of mixes, gave them to everyone I knew: friends, promoters, DJs, etc.. Then I bugged the hell out of a friend of mine for a gig. He wanted me to show up to the venue an hour early and just screw around on the gear so I could prove I knew what I was doing. I did that, he gave me a shot, and, as they say, the rest is history :-)

So, do just that. Make friendly with the DJs and promoters at gigs. Make mixes, and push them. This is the day of the internet, so you can get data aaround the world really fast and efficiently. Do it. Also, be prepared to do it for free (though never offer) and take the opening sets (though never ask).

Go to the nights, bring friends, show that people will come with you. Make business cards, make a website, do whatever you can do promote yourself in the best way possible.

And then be prepared to be rejected, insulted and turned down at every turn. :-)

Read your audience, too. By that I mean the promoter and the DJs. Some promoters want their asses kissed, some don't want to bother with anyone without some balls behind em. Some DJs will nurture and help the younger crowds, some are the most arrogant, self-aggrandizing bastards you'll ever meet.

So, well, yeah, that's a start.
    You had a good start on DJin, for me it was thrown at me!! More like pressed onto me. LOL

Tech Guru

meet other djs and promoters and give them your mixes. if they like it talk to em about gigs they'll want to have you out if they like your mix. it's not really that complicated, mostly a matter of just doing it.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    *cough*BennyBenassi*cough*
    No need to cough that name. It's a well known fact.

its all about making contacts guys. good luck
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

21 post bento? No Fn Way!

Anyways +1 to what Jester said. Contact have got me where I am now. Luck helps too.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

sleeping with one or two promoters helps
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

It's all about who you know and how many people you can get out.

The longer you play in the bedroom aspiring to play out, the deeper the hole you dig yourself. Because when you find out that talent isn't a promoter's #1 priority you might be crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    sleeping with one or two promoters helps
    yeee

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast