Xonetacular's Setup - Page 3
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gavintech View Post
    I'm just going to use MDF on both sides. I looked at the Ikea mod thread and couldn't figure out how to use the Godmorgon legs because they only have brackets on one end (they are also not available on Ikea.com nor at the nearest Ikea, but I would prefer to use them). How are they screwed into the other end?
    You buy 4 of them. Each end of the stainless tube has the same threading so you buy two longs godmorgon legs and two short ones (short ones are $2 cheaper) to get the extra brackets from then you screw a bracket on each end.

DIY guy like me! Your setup is very nice.
    Korg 402, CDJ1000's, Stanton STR8's, Traktor Scratch, KRK 6's, Axiom Pro 25, Dell Inspiron

Tech Mentor

bateman........................................... ...........................................

mind= shattered
    I AM A DISK JERKER

Quote Originally Posted by buddha131 View Post
    bateman........................................... ...........................................

mind= shattered
    It's no secret here

Tech Wizard

What kind of stand are your using for youe x1's?
    Can you also post an updated pic of your setup with the lights on?

Thx and uber sweet setup BTW

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ginno View Post
    What kind of stand are your using for youe x1's?
    Can you also post an updated pic of your setup with the lights on?

Thx and uber sweet setup BTW
    right now just styrofoam, I meant to make nicer ones but it works and feels solid...

I just grabbed a second pair of KRK RP8s for $200 on craigslist plus some monitor stands, I love craigstlist.

Current DJ setup:

I never really used the maschine over there and stopped using the ipad with the DB4 effects so they went over to my new studio.

I finally got around to setting up my studio and getting parts/repairing my desktop PC and putting a fresh install on windows on it. It's about time, I have had a bunch of crap piled in that corner for months looking ugly. Now I have no more excuses for not attempting to make music.

before:

Now:

Studio:

Dell desktop
    KRK RP8s
    KRK 10s subwoofer
    iPad with Touchable for Ableton control
    Maschine
    Audio 8
    Akai MPK49
    Sony MDR-V6

the monitors take up a lot of space currently and I can't fit a second screen, I am also not sure if I am going to get a more suitable soundcard for production, the audio 8 is a little weird and I want balanced outputs and volume control on the card.

I have a 22" LCD I'm thinking of wall mounting on an army that would swing out over the keyboard.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 12-05-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Nice. You're going to want bass traps and something to kill reflections in a space that tiny.

And if I were you, I'd consider putting Maschine in a more central location…but I'm still just floored by it. I haven't figured out much it can't do yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Nice. You're going to want bass traps and something to kill reflections in a space that tiny.

And if I were you, I'd consider putting Maschine in a more central location…but I'm still just floored by it. I haven't figured out much it can't do yet.
    Thanks. Yeah space is a little tight right now but I'm trying to make it work and keep it simple and to the essentials and resist my urges to gear whore since I know it will only make production more daunting than it already is for me.

If I could somehow raise the monitors to fit more on the desk that might help, right now the Maschine either fits on the left or the right. That or find/make a better desk with monitor stands and keyboard tray so I can fit controllers more front and center.

Any recommendations on DIY or cheaper bass traps? My quick search shows they are like $300+

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Have u seen those c-clamp brackets at ikea? Could use 2 of those and throw some wood and acoustic foam on top of them..

I have them just to give me a lil more support under my speaker stands just in case..
    link?

My desk is thick. I could try some stands and lay the monitors sideways so the tweeters are still ear level. I would really like to be able to fit a second LCD monitor on this desk but I have no room with the speakers, I have a 22" sitting around... I'm wondering if I should hunt around for a production desk though since having the MPK49 to the side is a little awkward.

I was testing out how the sound is in this space with the sub playing a sine wave low and certain notes I can definitely hear what must be bass reflections (i'm not familiar with this stuff). It's not terrible but with the volume up you can hear it.

I'm also in the market for a decent executive style chair on a budget (I can't really justify spending more than $100)- the desk chair I have is from highschool and sucks. I would check craigslist but buying used furniture from someones home creeps me out and I have no way of knowing what it feels like first.

I'm also in the market for a soundcard for $200 or less (audio 8 doesn't have the balanced output or volume knob I need) and just missed the Komplete Audio 6 sale, anything else I should look at?

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Any recommendations on DIY or cheaper bass traps? My quick search shows they are like $300+
    Not really. My room is big-ish and has a lot of crap in it, and I use 5" KRKs, so it's not something I've looked into extensively except for hearing the effect when I wasn't footing the bill.

Give a thought to the threads about soundproofing. Most of the advice people give for soundproofing is actually about tuning rooms, so the threads are titled wrong, but there's good info on the types of materials people use.

AFAIK, the biggest thing is to have something softer than drywall/wood in places that would cause reflections…and if it's a weird ass shape to spread reflections out randomly, that's a plus. I'd imagine a sufficiently fucked up old couch cushion shoved into the corners would make a difference on a budget. If it's really a problem, I'd probably start by wadding up old clothes or blankets and shoving them in the corners…plus hanging tapestries behind/around the speakers and the opposite wall. I can hardly imagine how loud it would get with those speakers so close to corners.

There's only so much you can do without building a room from scratch anyway…I'd see if that works and when I had money, point it at getting real treatments for the areas where the stop-gap seemed to cause the biggest advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I'm also in the market for a decent executive style chair on a budget (I can't really justify spending more than $100)- the desk chair I have is from highschool and sucks. I would check craigslist but buying used furniture from someones home creeps me out and I have no way of knowing what it feels like first.

I'm also in the market for a soundcard for $200 or less (audio 8 doesn't have the balanced output or volume knob I need) and just missed the Komplete Audio 6 sale, anything else I should look at?
    Man…desk chairs are expensive. I got lucky. My Fraternity got like 30 that Tech was throwing away at some point, and I just took one. It's like a $250 chair that I got for free. Before that, I was using a cheap, metal folding chair because I couldn't see paying 3-figures for a damn chair.

As for sound cards…in the $200 range…umm…

If you could find a Presonus Central Station or Monitor Station used for that price, that might give you all the functionality you want…but you'd have to keep using your Audio 8 (or whatever). I actually use a cheap little FOH mixer for that the vast majority of the time. It works okay, as my room isn't good enough to master in anyway.

As for actual sound cards in that range, I see Mbox 3 Minis for around $200. They're probably going to be the best you're going to get, though they're only 2x2 and would be limiting in the long run. Musician's Friend and GC are selling the Preonus Audiobox USB for like $150 right now, which seems okay for the price if you're going to upgrade later anyway.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast