Gig at Jazz Bar--need your help! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

thanks all for the excellent suggestions! i might report back tomorrow how it went...

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Check out the verve remixed series.
    Get all those albums and just play tracks of them and you will knock their socks off cus those albums are full of classic verve recordings that any Jazz buff will recognise.
    They are remixed by artists that dont just mash/smash and batter the original into oblivion so even the Jazz buffs will/may appreciate them.

I use to DJ warm up slots at a bar that had jazz bands on and i was constantly asked "wow man who has revamped this classic".

Plus, we have a thread on this subject somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mablack View Post

Both are experimental jazz electronic groups that have conventional elements you speak of... Bonobo has a live dj that mixes inputs, jazzanova is just a couple of insane musician/producers. Hope this helped..
    Both perfect for the nite.

Add some Tru-Thoughts and some Breakstra (for some funky funk) and your made.

Monsieur Leroc! French dj who produces jazz beats with guest musicians and mcs. Good shit!

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Any of the compilations from this guy will = win

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Phil+Asher
    SC | MC

Downtempo and abstract/experimental is a better direction than deep house I think. Whatever you do, change the beat around more than you normally would with a house set. Those Verve collections will definitely get you sorted, but I'd mix it up with some stuff like Up Bustle and Out or Sharpshooters, that sort of thing. Drum machines are ok in this setting but not if the whole set sounds pre-programmed to a fixed beat. Ninja Tune used to put out oodles of stuff that would work well and keep it funky; if you have any old compilations of that stuff go for it. Maybe some stuff like Timewarp or Malente if that's not too upbeat. And for remixing the classics, besides the Verves look up Big Band Remixed and Reinvented. Thievery Corporation and other Eighteenth Street Lounge stuff would probably do well. Speaking of lounge, any of that new wave old jazz might work; I'm particularly partial to torchy singers like Linnzi Zaorski and Frenchy. You can get pretty creative at an event like this; my main advice is just don't do a straight ahead house set or anything all one tempo or you will lose people.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

how did it go
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by farhanashraf View Post
    how did it go
    i didn't wanna turn this into my personal blog haha which is why i didn't post a report

i played for 1.5h before the pianist started which went really well. actually, i didn't play a single one of the tracks i mentioned in the first post. i let myself inspire a lot by photojojo's suggestion (verve remixed) and played not just straight deep house but went a little into future jazz and downtempo territories (remixes of roy ayers, st. germain, etc.).

until the main act was done, there was theater-style seating so no dancefloor. but ppl at the bar seemed to enjoy themselves (and the music).

on the other hand, my closing set which started around midnight was kinda meh. to an extent, i guess i could've played whatever i wanted. didn't seem like the crowd that parties late into Sunday night/Monday morning. most people rushed off right away despite my cool Henrik Schwartz intro. so i played just a tiny bit for the staff and their girlfriends. meh.

but overall, the guy who hired me was happy. so thanks DJTT!

congrats!
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Mentor

Bebel Gilberto, or anything by Mark Farina will do...

Tech Wizard

I would have thought anything "Chilled Euphoria" style and maybe some Dub disco/Larry Levan era stuff. But thats just how I'd read it.
    Tough one to gauge when the prerequisite is so vague.
    Good luck though and let us know how it goes
    Pair EKS OTUS, Akai MPD32, Vestax DJ6000M, JBL Control 10's, HP G70 (6GB RAM-Pentium Dual 2.27GHZ-Windows 7 64bit)

DJ at www.flybasedj.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12