Getting The Best Sound Out of Your Traktor - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

How can Audiofire be the best? What about Apogee Duet 2 or many others in that price range?

sebastiannz

Quote Originally Posted by martinlird View Post
    I only ever use Funktion One. This is because the company I rig for uses Funktion One and we get 50% off hire.
    I was using it on saturday night and play 320 mp3's and it sounded perfectly fine. We were using 2 x 118's and 2 x res4's, and it sounded sweet.

We set up a nightclub in our town (The Vue) and used 4 x 218's and 6 x Res 4's on each side, and some smart arse decided to play some 128 Mp3's. He thought the speakers we to quiet and had the mixer bouncing off the red.

As you can imagine, he was kicked off within 10minutes and the next lad went on and played an extra 90minutes with no complaints.

But as for the difference between .WAV and .Mp3, on a Funktion One set up like we use for standard 18th's 21st's etc, 320 Mp3s are perfectly fine. But as soon as you get on the big set ups (i.e. 4 218's etc) you start to notice a slight difference.

I still use 320's though

(Btw using a Audio-2...I don't believe the hype over the Audiofire)
    So what is the difference between wav's and 320's on a big system? Did you try comparing vinyl too? Mates tell me vinyl sounds better on big sound systems but I've never been able to test the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiannz View Post
    So what is the difference between wav's and 320's on a big system? Did you try comparing vinyl too? Mates tell me vinyl sounds better on big sound systems but I've never been able to test the difference.
    3 main notable differences about mp3 vs WAV, or any other lossless, 320 mp3 looses about 1.3% volume, aswell as adding small amounts of artifacts (very bad unwanted noises but usually unhearable unless listening at 120+db), other then that all wavs have vs properly encoded mp3's is an extra 2khz of dynamic range, meaning on speakers that go passed 20khz and upto 22 or more will be able to utilize the wav, where the mp3 will be more ideal on the average speaker that can't pass 20khz, here is the differences in 2 beatport releases, 1 320 MP3, 1 AIFF

sebastiannz

Quote Originally Posted by Dj.You.S.Bee View Post
    3 main notable differences about mp3 vs WAV, or any other lossless, 320 mp3 looses about 1.3% volume, aswell as adding small amounts of artifacts (very bad unwanted noises but usually unhearable unless listening at 120+db), other then that all wavs have vs properly encoded mp3's is an extra 2khz of dynamic range, meaning on speakers that go passed 20khz and upto 22 or more will be able to utilize the wav, where the mp3 will be more ideal on the average speaker that can't pass 20khz, here is the differences in 2 beatport releases, 1 320 MP3, 1 AIFF

so if the track itself doesn't use 20khz to 22khz range then there won't be any difference right? sorry i know almost nothing about production...

You know you can hear very little above 16- 17KHz if you are not:

A: a dog
    B: a 2 year old
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiannz View Post
    There is a huge difference however, your loudspeakers need to be large enough and posses good quality to hear the difference.

Bear in mind even an mp3 @ 320 kilobytes per second uses compression to consolidate the size of the file. Compression will always hamper the dynamics of an audio track. This is the reason many prefer .wav (no compression added) files to mp3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    You know you can hear very little above 16- 17KHz if you are not:

A: a dog
    B: a 2 year old
    the human hearing curve changes drastically passed 100db, we accually are able to pick them up but our ears have there own frequency curve, the volume needs to be really loud and on speakers that also can play those frequencies in relative loudness to the rest of the sounds (completelty flat eq is always best for a properly mastered track to be enjoyed how it was suppost to be), its unfortunate so many cheap speakers have to glamorize certain frequencies just to sound decent because they are so cheaply made.

but i know that any lossless that reaches 22khz instead of 20 with a properly encoded mp3, when using my synheiser hd25, wich accually have a range to 22, everything sounds noticeably better and the highs are alot more clear, dynamic music is always better if you have the speakers to properly hear it, but as i said earlier, this is only noticeable at really high volume's, for headphones 1/4 jack is almost nessesarry unless you have a really loud amp on your soundcard like me

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    It's amazing how much bullshit you get out of people who are really good at audio. It's like they don't know they've been being sold snake oil all their lives and actually believe what they say.

There's a very, very highly respected Mastering Engineer out there who had a word clock custom built based off Cesium decay because vibrating crystals weren't precise enough and he thought he could still hear jitter. Since most people don't know what that is…click here. Yeah.

He also prefers for people to mail him the original hard drive things were recorded onto because different brands of CDs sound different and copying digital files degrades their quality the same way copying analog tape does.

The guy from Function One–if he really said that about space–takes the cake.

They're speakers. They use magnets to move something that's vaguely like a drum head. They're not magic.
    Im pretty sure he was joking, at least i hope he was.... I highly doubt thats actually a claim tony andrews made.

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    so, progressive trance is ~90bpm?
    and the rest
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast