Controller vs CDJ's? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

I'd get the cdj's man. I'm pretty much a beginner as well but got second-hand cdj-1000's and loving them to death. I'm not using any dvs programs though, just straight up cd's (don't want to rely on laptop and much quicker to change song if a cd jumps or w/e than rebooting a laptop) because I want to learn to beatmatch by ear and don't want to rely on a whole bunch of waves going across a screen.

My advice from a fellow is beginner is to get the cdj's and do it the right way. You can always use programs later. Very versatile especially if you can beatmatch by ear. That usb port on the 350's was a nice touch though.
    Set-up: Macbook, 3x Pioneer CDJ 1000MK2, Pioneer DJM 800, Technics RP-DH1200, Ableton Live, Casio XW-P1 Keyboard
    My Soundcloud
    Other Soundcloud
    My Mixcloud

Honestly, just go with what people have installed at the clubs you want to be playing at in the future.

Be it 1200's or CDJ-2000's. Or even a pair of 1000mk3's.

I debated over this for a long time myself. I figured I would get more use out of CDJ's than I would TT's, and I wanted to get myself a set. But I was held back purely because of $$ issues.

Personally, I don't like the feel of the CDJ-350's. I don't have much experience using CDJ's, but they are probably the worst platter of the lot.

As far as 900's vs 2000's... it really just comes down to what you can afford. Because if this is to become anything more than a hobby, get the best you can afford. Both are stellar, and people have elaborated on the differences in other replies.

Just my 2 cents.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

WW Ean D?

If you're going into house djing I would suggest getting a controller and focus your learning on fx, sampling, cuejuggling, and waveforms.

Tech Wizard

I have the same issue to solve I am thinking about buying cdj850 because 900 are too expensive , what do you think about cdj850 is it worth to buy??

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    Not true. You just need to put things in folders.
    Everything of mine is sorted into folders/playlists through rekordbox.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Convert

Guys - many thanks for your help and advice. I ended up purchasing CDJ2000's and a DJM700 mixer. I realise there are better mixers out there but based on price I went for that one. Most of my practice will be done via an amp in my main lounge room....any suggestions for a small pair of monitors for my office where my home PC sits? I was hoping I could just use headphones whilst in there and something like small Logitech PC speakers as i won't be cranking it and space is an issue...but realise the speakers need RCA connections not 3.5mm although i guess i could get a 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2 x RCA Plugs. Thanks.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by captjohnno View Post
    Guys - many thanks for your help and advice. I ended up purchasing CDJ2000's and a DJM700 mixer. I realise there are better mixers out there but based on price I went for that one. Most of my practice will be done via an amp in my main lounge room....any suggestions for a small pair of monitors for my office where my home PC sits? I was hoping I could just use headphones whilst in there and something like small Logitech PC speakers as i won't be cranking it and space is an issue...but realise the speakers need RCA connections not 3.5mm although i guess i could get a 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2 x RCA Plugs. Thanks.
    Dang, you got cdj2000's?! :eek: Like 2 of them?! Good on ya mate... if you dont mind me asking how much they set you back?

Tech Mentor

What do you guys mean by not beatmatching "purely" with S4? With the jog wheels you can bm just as cdj.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkAboutIt View Post
    What do you guys mean by not beatmatching "purely" with S4? With the jog wheels you can bm just as cdj.
    yeah why can't you learn bm on s4?

Theorically you can, but :

- Pitch fader is way too short to be precise
    - Jogs are too small and too light
    - You will have Traktor right here, and a temptation to look at bpm

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast