How cheaply can I switch to TSP? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How about sell your current TP2, etc. Then hunt the second hand market for a full Audio 8 TSP package. I wouldve thought you could pick all that up for about the cost of the upgrade alone!
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Yeah but it seems that they kept it under wraps until now.
    Even forum admin didnt know.

What exactly did you do though? Upgrade from an NI Audio card and TP2..?
    Basically a while back I'd bought an X1 which came with LE which I then upgraded to TP2. I later bought an S4 during the scratch kit giveaway promotion. As I was installing I thought, "hm, I might want to sell this S4 at some point... I wonder if I can use the upgrade key on my current copy of TP2 instead of the S4 copy." I figured I still had both so I wasn't really doing anything wrong by doing that anyway. I will add in the caveat that I did have the s4 registered in service center, but the key I used the scratch upgrade on was my x1 key, not my s4 key. I've still had it in the back of my mind that it might be a pain in the ass to sort all this out if I sold the S4, but I'm glad to hear this news making my decision a bit more legitimate.

My take on this news is that NI figured out the loophole that let this happen in the first place. They then either couldn't fix it, or didn't want to fix it, so they decided to market it as a product feature instead (probably since the certified upgrade kit didn't quite fit the bill for TP2 owners). I'm glad NI took the approach of making things better for customers by doing this instead of trying to clamp down on it and stick it to their customers.
    Last edited by keeb; 11-12-2011 at 02:37 PM.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    Basically a while back I'd bought an X1 which came with LE which I then upgraded to TP2. I later bought an S4 during the scratch kit giveaway promotion. As I was installing I thought, "hm, I might want to sell this S4 at some point... I wonder if I can use the upgrade key on my current copy of TP2 instead of the S4 copy." I figured I still had both so I wasn't really doing anything wrong by doing that anyway. I will add in the caveat that I did have the s4 registered in service center, but the key I used the scratch upgrade on was my x1 key, not my s4 key. I've still had it in the back of my mind that it might be a pain in the ass to sort all this out if I sold the S4, but I'm glad to hear this news making my decision a bit more legitimate.
    That all sounds legit and above board mate. If you sell the S4 you will be able to keep the TSP2 as it is linked to the LE>TP2 licence not the S4 licence.

As long as your sure that the dropdown box said "You own TP2 so you can upgrade to TSP" then your all good.

They have changed the way the upgrade system works now so that the upgrade offer you can select is given to you on the information in your registered items.

When i try to upgrade to TSP (just to test the system) it gives me "You own DUO so you can have blah blah"... I actually own everything but the system is supposed to give a user the cheapest option.
    I guess it should say "Why the f*ck are you trying to buy something you already have"

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post

From now on, if you own TP2 and a Certified Mixer you qualify for the S4 DVS Upgrade for 129 euros. You would need to buy some timecode.
    You dont need to own an S4 but the software is sufficient to unlock the DVS plugin.
    I am seeking advice if this also applies to people that own an NI Audio 4/6/8/10 but i see no reason why it wouldnt.
    A couple of months ago I was helping someone on here get scratch setup.via PM. NI told him to buy the S4 upgrade to get to Scratch certification. I told him I thought they were wrong, but since he had already ordered it to try it and let me know how it went. He told me a few days later that the S4 upgrade got worked for him even though he didn't have an S4. Now I know why.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    For me the fact that it's plugged in but i can still use my turntable without the computer connected is a touch. Often my lappy will be in my bag downstairs but I want to just fling on some vinyl. It's nice.

I am sure with the audio 8 you would have to unplug the the tts from the audio 8 and rewire them into your decks to do the same.
    This is why we have the multicore cables - A4/8 users switch between vinyl and TSP all the time without doing anything more than plugging the USB in and flicking the phono/line switches

Granted, they can be a pain to wire up, though.

So complicated.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by bumtsch View Post
    This is why we have the multicore cables - A4/8 users switch between vinyl and TSP all the time without doing anything more than plugging the USB in and flicking the phono/line switches

Granted, they can be a pain to wire up, though.
    Plugging the USB into what? The computer?

So something has to be plugged in
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Not sure why people are so annoyed with having to plug in the audio 10. Ok it's not ideal but having to plug anything in is not ideal…The audio 10 is an amazing soundcard IMO, better than the audio 4/6/8. Better LED feedback and more ins and outs…The difference between having to plug 4 or 5 things in makes no odds to me.
    Most of my DJ gear stays where it is most of the time, unless I'm changing things up just to be doing it or taking it to a house party…though I'm done actually bringing a mixer and decks out for that…it's not worth the hassle anymore.

Mostly, though, it's about keeping up with and moving another wall wart.

I own 5 power adapters for my MBP. I keep one at my desk at work, one at my desk at home, one on my DJ desk, one in my DJ bag, and one my work bag. That's right…I have 2 MBP power adapters in the same room so I don't have to move them 10 feet, and one in each of 2 bags that are often both in my trunk so I don't have to worry about which bag they're in. Most of them have come with my laptops and just not broken (had a warranty and an insurance replacement for my black MB and finally upgraded to a MBP…so I only bought one extra power adapter to do this ridiculousness). Part of it is how my cable routing works…it's a PITA to move a cable. I also have duplicates for every other cable attached to my desk or DJ desk at home. Most cables, I have like 3 of.

I'd have to buy at least one extra power adapter for the Audio 10. And I'd have to fumble with it whenever I play out. Plus it's one more thing to forget that takes the whole system down. And the Auido 10 is already huge by itself…I think I'd have to get a different bag to have a pouch to carry it in. As it stands, the Audio 6 or 8 would fit and keep everything in one bag that I already own. The Audio 10 and its adapter would put me over-budget on space or risk crushing the laptop screen.

Plus, as it is now, my laptop will run all of my controllers off an un-powered hub off the low-power USB port, which leaves the high-power port for the Audio interface…which should be good enough considering that I used the low-power port for the SL1 for a long time before I knew there was a difference…without problems.

As far as an audio quality difference…I don't buy it. At any rate, if I'm happy enough with the Audio 2 for DJing, I'll be happy with any of NI's cards. And I'm not convinced I'd be happy with any of NI's cards for production or recording, so having a better card that I wouldn't use for anything more demanding is just wasting money. I'll use my FS Open for that until I can justify the expense of Apogee or Avid.

I'd also never use more IO than that for a DVS (I'll be running Maschine and figuring out how to route its output to the same card, or I'll be running decks C and D as sample decks into the same output). The Audio 6 is the most card I'd ever need. The Audio 8 would be a slight overestimate to account for all possibilities, though I really believe it'd be overkill…mostly it's just cheaper than the audio 6.

The "cheap" thing was about saving money compared to buying a full-box TSP2 package and then being unhappy with the card…and not getting an audio 6 or 8 and wind up spending more than the box package to get it running just to save from dealing with that wall wart. It's wroth having less IO, it's not worth paying more for.

$120 for the upgrade as opposed to $340 is totally worth it. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    A couple of months ago I was helping someone on here get scratch setup.via PM. NI told him to buy the S4 upgrade to get to Scratch certification. I told him I thought they were wrong, but since he had already ordered it to try it and let me know how it went. He told me a few days later that the S4 upgrade got worked for him even though he didn't have an S4. Now I know why.
    Someone suggested this to me over IM on Friday, and I thought he was nuts. If that's the way it works, then I'm set.

Thank you for your help, everyone. Just have to find an Audio 6 or 8 now. And, you know, decide if Technics are worth $800 more than Str8-150s.

Any more updates on this Mostapha?
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    So complicated.
    ^this

Last week i would have told you that the only way to Upgrade from TP2 to TSP2 if you bought an Audio 4/6/8/10 is to purchase the Certified Upgrade which includes Traktor Scratch Pro software. This is 299,00 € and includes all the leads and timecode.

People have been complaining about this for years and i have long argued that it makes no sense to charge so much for what is basically the DVS plugin being released in your software.

From now on, if you own TP2 and a Certified Mixer you qualify for the S4 DVS Upgrade for 129 euros. You would need to buy some timecode.
    You dont need to own an S4 but the software is sufficient to unlock the DVS plugin.
    I am seeking advice if this also applies to people that own an NI Audio 4/6/8/10 but i see no reason why it wouldnt.
    Can you tell us more as soon as you know how much does it cost ?

I have 2 choices :

Get a NI Audio Card and have TP2 free with the winter promotion. And then upgrade TP2 to TSP2.

OR

Get the full kit : TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO 2 Software, TRAKTOR AUDIO 10 Audio Interface, Power Supply, USB cable, 6x RCA cable, 2x Timecode Vinyl, 2x Timecode CD, PDF manual, Quickstart Guide

I think that the first way would be much cheaper, but i don't want any bad surprises.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast