How cheaply can I switch to TSP?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How cheaply can I switch to TSP?

So…I've gotten the bug to incorporate turntables again…mostly so I can spin hip hop with a friend and because my room looks weird without turntables in it.

SSL and I never really got along, but I liked FS2 before NI stopped working with Stanton, so I'll probably give TSP2 a shot.

I can find turntables; that's not an issue.

My question: if I buy a used Audio 4/8 DJ, where would I find/buy a software upgrade form TP2 to TSP2? Does such a thing exist? (I don't use an S4 or S2 and don't want to) Or would I have to go with a current TSD2 package + the software upgrade to pro?

I don't want an Audio 10, because I don't want to have to deal with an audio interface that requires a wall wart. An Audio 6 would be good enough for what I want to do (don't want 4 discrete output pairs for traktor…I'd never use more than 3), it just might wind up more expensive than figuring out how to make an Audio 8 work.

Also…does anyone know if I can use a single audio interface for both TSP and Maschine? As in…input/output pairs 1 & 2 devoted to Traktor, output pair 3 devoted to Maschine. Or would I have to run 2 interfaces? I have extras if I have to run multiple interfaces…I'd just rather not have to if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Last week i would have told you that the only way to Upgrade from TP2 to TSP2 if you bought an Audio 4/6/8/10 is to purchase the Certified Upgrade which includes Traktor Scratch Pro software. This is 299,00 € and includes all the leads and timecode.

People have been complaining about this for years and i have long argued that it makes no sense to charge so much for what is basically the DVS plugin being released in your software.

From now on, if you own TP2 and a Certified Mixer you qualify for the S4 DVS Upgrade for 129 euros. You would need to buy some timecode.
    You dont need to own an S4 but the software is sufficient to unlock the DVS plugin.
    I am seeking advice if this also applies to people that own an NI Audio 4/6/8/10 but i see no reason why it wouldnt.

This offer has only just been communicated to me (literally minutes ago) so i need to check the details precisely, but it would 'seem' to be a big step forward in NIs thinking.

I have long argued that users should be able to build a Traktor DVS in a modular way. It now looks as though its possible.

That's wonderful news. My research showed the same (the $339 upgrade)…which with the cost of used Audio 4/8s would mean that I'd essentially be paying the same (~$600 with an audio 4) or more (~$680 with an audio 8) for the older sound card as a new TSP2 package ($600). I suppose I could sell my existing TP2 license, but…that's still BS. And it's an upgrade from the LE version that comes with the X1, so…I'm not sure how much that's worth anyway. …and I'd be piecing it together with used gear just to avoid the damn wall wart.

I really like some of NI's stuff…but their licensing stuff pisses me off to no end. I really think that they should just qualify audio interfaces if they really need to, sell theirs separately if they want, and rely on something like an iLok to deal with their licensing. But, well, that's me. And everyone knows I'm a retarded moron who doesn't like doing things the "right" way.

Please let me know when you get final word on it. It'll probably be a little while before I do it (if I do) because turntables are still insanely expensive for no reason, and I have to either decide whether it's worth spending $1400 on a pair of used m5gs (which used to sell used for $350 each) or if I should just go with one of the Super OEM tables for less than half the price.

Seriously…when did it become okay for used m5gs to cost the same as used cdj-1000mk3s?

This used market is so freaking weird…Technics turntables were discontinued because the used market was so saturated that they weren't freaking selling…now they're insanely expensive for no reason.
    Last edited by mostapha; 11-11-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I suppose I could sell my existing TP2 license,
    As you would be 'upgrading' your current licence (in this case) you would not be able to to sell your TP, especially as its also an upgrade from LE.

LE > TP2 > TSP2 all on the same licence but with individual Serial numbers.

Your current TP2 is the "qualifying software product" . It works slightly differently than if you simply owned an Audio 8. In that case you would have to buy the expensive package.

This really is the software upgrade that I have long called for.

As soon as i get concrete confirmation ill hit you up with the info.

okay, cool.

And i was talking about selling my LE + upgrade license if I went with the full TSP2 box package. I just don't want to deal with another thing to plug into the wall.

Tech Mentor

The exact same thing I have been complaining about as well for years. I upgraded from LE with the Numark Omni Control($350) to TP($120) to TP2($79). I then bought an Audio 6 ($250) really because I wanted the inputs to record out of my mixer since I use TP2 in external mode. So now, as it stands, if I want TSP2 I have to shell out another $339, thats BS. This upgrade should be like $50 plus the cost of timecode media. I have an NDX 800 which I use to scratch with MIDI but platters that don't move are just not the same as 12's and I would at least like the ugrade not to hurt so much since I still have to get turntables.
    Last edited by dj matt blaze; 11-11-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Last week i would have told you that the only way to Upgrade from TP2 to TSP2 if you bought an Audio 4/6/8/10 is to purchase the Certified Upgrade which includes Traktor Scratch Pro software. This is 299,00 € and includes all the leads and timecode.

People have been complaining about this for years and i have long argued that it makes no sense to charge so much for what is basically the DVS plugin being released in your software.

From now on, if you own TP2 and a Certified Mixer you qualify for the S4 DVS Upgrade for 129 euros. You would need to buy some timecode.
    You dont need to own an S4 but the software is sufficient to unlock the DVS plugin.
    I am seeking advice if this also applies to people that own an NI Audio 4/6/8/10 but i see no reason why it wouldnt.

This offer has only just been communicated to me (literally minutes ago) so i need to check the details precisely, but it would 'seem' to be a big step forward in NIs thinking.

I have long argued that users should be able to build a Traktor DVS in a modular way. It now looks as though its possible.
    This should already be working - found out about this accidentally in July.

got a ticket running on this as well.
    will keep you tuned on my results!

A little OT as I understand this is more a "cheapest".

Not sure why people are so annoyed with having to plug in the audio 10. Ok it's not ideal but having to plug anything in is not ideal.

Turntables... you'll need to plug those in. A whole plug for each turntable :eek:

I presume you have a powered USB hub... that has to be plugged in :eek:

Mixer... plug that shit in

Laptop... unless you wanting it dying mid set... yup same again

Powered monitors... etc

The audio 10 is an amazing soundcard IMO, better than the audio 4/6/8. Better LED feedback and more ins and outs.

For me the fact that it's plugged in but i can still use my turntable without the computer connected is a touch. Often my lappy will be in my bag downstairs but I want to just fling on some vinyl. It's nice.

I am sure with the audio 8 you would have to unplug the the tts from the audio 8 and rewire them into your decks to do the same.

I wish we lived in a world with no plugs or wires but we don't...

The difference between having to plug 4 or 5 things in makes no odds to me.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    This should already be working - found out about this accidentally in July.
    Yeah but it seems that they kept it under wraps until now.
    Even forum admin didnt know.

What exactly did you do though? Upgrade from an NI Audio card and TP2..?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast