Cool beatmashing with S4 jog wheels - Ean's S2 jog wheel effects reloaded
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cool beatmashing with S4 jog wheels - Ean's S2 jog wheel effects reloaded

Hey everyone,

Ean's S2 video got my imagination going and I actually created a mapping for the S4 that pretty much emulates the settings he has in that video. However, Ean's mapping was made especially for that cool Depeche Mode mash-up he created. It doesn't really work for general mixing. So I decided to work out the best part of that mapping for both Decks A and B and I'd like to present it here to you now.

The jogs both control a beatmasher and peak filter in group mode in the first effect bank and turns on the T3 Delay in the second effect banks.

There are some cool things you can do with the jog wheels with these effects.

1. Catch and beatmash the track, changing the rhythm on the fly with the jog wheel.
    2. While beat mashing, you can use your other hand to jump to another cue point or use the scroll knob to bump the song forward, then find a break or 1 beat and let go of the jog. The transition is pretty smooth.
    3. You can catch some vocals in one deck and beatmash it, while a rhythmic part is playing in the other deck making a great mash-up.
    4. You can catch a beat on the running deck and play with the rhythm while blending in the other deck, then towards a break, you can turn the jog counterclockwise causing the peak filter to add a sweep effect. This adds to the energy of the break.
    5. You can do the same thing in the current playing track and create a different sort of sweep into a break. You just have to turn the jog wheel fairly quickly.

This TSI requires 4 effect banks and also the Load button selected to turn jog wheel effects on. I also fixed the problem I had with the browse mode and the load buttons.

My next step is to be able to use the load button with shift button, to load different effect groupings. My first will be to make armyofme's sweep. Any other ideas for effect groups or other cool stuff that could effectively use the jogs would be appreciated.

Have fun!

scamo

Updates:

Version 3. Exported as global TSI, so importing will work over the "Big" Import button.
    Last edited by scamo; 10-30-2011 at 03:27 AM.
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

This sounds great. Unfortunately, I'm without my S4 for the next week.

Any chance of posting a video of you in action with this mapping?

Thanks.
    Oh shit - There goes another set of speakers!:eek:

Yeah, I was thinking about making a video about how it sounds and what you can do. I am not a professional DJ, so I couldn't show it "in action", meaning in a real live DJ scene. But I could surely do a sort of tutorial video.

scamo

Funny enough, Priscilla (armyofme4340) sort of has the same set-up in midi-mode in the video below. You can at least get an idea what the beatmasher on the jog wheels can do. It is in about the last 2 minutes.

I find with this setup, the jog wheels finally have a cool use. (I can't scratch worth diddlysquat )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZX2Y_AyIYY

scamo

Tech Mentor

scamo, do you have any demo vid of your s4 mapping?

No, not yet. I figured, if I can also change effect groupings with shift+load and it works halfways decent, I'd give a video a try too. I'm still learning myself and don't really want to "sell" something with a video, before I know it is really worth selling.

scamo

I just want to express my undying love and support for any progress you make/have made on this mapping. The whole (S4-owning) world is watching.

Thanks. Just put a little pressure on me eh? LOL!

I am still a bit void on what kind of other effect combos I could add (and I hope I can also get the shift+load to do what I want). Since I am a beginner, effects are all new to me and I sort of have to cheat and copy great folks like Ean and Priscilla to get ideas for effect groupings. And BTW, I thank them both for their great contributions too.

So, if anyone has an idea for effect groups where the jog control could be interesting, please let me know.

scamo

Scamo - This TSI just kills my S4. It freezes up. Nothing works.

Can anyone else confirm?
    Oh shit - There goes another set of speakers!:eek:

R1ch, I can confirm. When imported, it replaces the original mapping that normally controls the S4, so all the normal default controls are missing. I'm not quite sure how to have the 2 mappings working side-by-side.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast