Xone 22 help!

Thread: Xone 22 help!

Tech Mentor

Default Xone 22 help!

I managed to buy a super cheap Xone 22 second hand a few weeks ago. After 2 weeks of delivery it finally arrived.

I know about the filter pop and the lower headphone output when monitoring both channels. Kinda annoying but hey I did my research!

I am having a few issues though that I can't find any workarounds for and I'm wondering if anyone has solved them in DJTT, cause this appears to be a very popular mixer here.

I use timecode, vinyl timecode, so I have my TA6 hooked up to the mixers line inputs. I also have a X1 and one of the main reasons why I bought this mixer is for the FX loop. I have the send and return hooked up to the "Main" ins and outs of the TA6.

1) I am finding that with the FX loop on I am getting a noticeable latency in the audio. Specifically there is a latency between what I am hearing in the headphones with the cue on and the monitor output. It is just enough to give a slight gallop to the beats. I am unsure if this is a traktor issue, a TA6 issue or a Xone issue, but I am guessing it is to do with traktor because when I turn the FX loop off there is no more latency.

2) I like the new Traktor 2 headroom preference option but I am finding that it does something really weird with FX send and return.
    Basically it is doubling up on itself. So what it appears to do is send an attenuated signal to the mixer and then when the mixer sends the FX send to traktor it again reduces the volume by the set amount and sends it back to the mixer.
    I've had to turn it off completely because whenever I turn on the FX loop button it lowers the volume. Then when i turn it off it raises it.
    My workaround is to turn it off and just lower the main output knob in traktor by -3 db.
    Is there a smarter way to get around this?

3) I'm finding it really annoying that the master has a lower output than the channels individually. As a test I loaded one track onto one channel and set the gain so that the 0 db blue light was flashing. This was in the "cue" mode of the mixer. Once I press the cue button to listen to the master the LED's show the master output level, it was about 3 db lower. Turning the master knob on the mixer does not raise or lower these LED's so it appears that the master volume is at a constant -3db difference to the incoming channel volume.
    Is there a way to match them up?

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated. I'm already loving this mixer but these little annoying things is preventing me from totally getting the best experience out of it.

New to my Xone 22 as well....so will be watching this thread.

I have experienced the POP on the filter when you enable it. Anyway around that?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

There is no way around the filterpop, it is part of all their analog mixers.

I've also noticed that engaging the filter also reduces the volume of the mix.

Probably best to mail A&H and ask these questions I guess. Just read that they are pretty fuckkn good with their support. Worth a go even just to get closure on these matters. j am enjoying the mixer too. Tank! But definitely still a little mysteries to me still. OP nailed it on all points. Would you raise it with them?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

Tech Mentor

1.- it is traktor, when use an fx loop with anything you always get a slight delay, from the original source cue to the final return of the loop is a matter of get use to it or find out if there's in an internal jumper to make the loop post fader or monitoring the fx on traktor on the channel 3 and for 4 and using those channels for the fx, not the cue ones (maybe 1 and 2).
    2.- put more attention in your gains stages, now you have 3 stages so it is a matter of tweaking the gains in traktor (master output in traktor and individual channels) the mixer
    itself and the send/return fx loop.
    3.- look at your crossfader curve, it changes the output of the channels just changing the curve and remember that the meters on each channel are tied to the gain input on the Channel and the master output it is tied to volume faders you change the faders and your channel reading does not suffer any change, totally opposite to the master reading.
    Hope it helps.

When you hit the filter on/off button right on the off-beat, fast like it's a hot coal, it avoids the pop - that's how it works on my 92, you'll get the hang of it. Also on the 92, you must have the Res pot (mild/wild) at 2 'o clock when engaging the filter, kinda wierd, but that's sorta the neutral point, and then there won't be any difference in volume and clarity. Not sure how this will translate onto the 22, since Res is simply a mild/wild button. Might also be worth noting if you engage the LPF the Freq. knob must be fully clockwise, HPF the knob fully anti-clockwise, otherwise there will defo be differences in volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post
    I am finding that with the FX loop on I am getting a noticeable latency in the audio. Specifically there is a latency between what I am hearing in the headphones with the cue on and the monitor output.
    I didn't see you mention an FX unit, are you using Traktor's FX Sends? Because then the latency you experience is perfectly normal. You're routing your TA6's audio out into the 22, then out the 22 back into Traktor to get 'Effected' then back out again to the 22. The Wet signal takes twice as long to reach your mixer's main out than the Dry signal, hence the delay, which you perceive as latency.

Not sure about your headphone metering issue, I have never used a 22. But A&H likes to keeps things more or less the same across their range. On like the 62/92/4D when you hit the cue button the Master meter automatically splits in two and no longer shows the master stereo out level. Instead it shows the Master level on one side and the cue level on the other side. Sort of their way of giving you visual representation of the two different levels. I dunno if or how the 22 handles this, but maybe this will shed some light on what's going on.
    Last edited by Destrukto; 10-27-2011 at 07:12 PM.
    92/2D/X1/KRK/Traktor (Toshiba Satellite M50 / PSM51L)
    Progressive Psychedelic

Hang on, the manual states:

Channel Meter
    Indicates the signal level through the channel. These meters will display the Left/Right channel output signal if the Cue/Master button is pressed.

Cue/Master Switch
    In the up position (Cue) the headphones will monitor the channel signal before the faders, and the meters will display the pre fade channel signal
    level. Press to listen to the main mix output, pre the Master Level control. In this mode, the channel meters will display the stereo mix level, Left = 1, Right = 2.
    Last edited by Destrukto; 10-28-2011 at 05:40 AM.
    92/2D/X1/KRK/Traktor (Toshiba Satellite M50 / PSM51L)
    Progressive Psychedelic

Quote Originally Posted by tito View Post
    2.- put more attention in your gains stages, now you have 3 stages so it is a matter of tweaking the gains in traktor (master output in traktor and individual channels) the mixer
    itself and the send/return fx loop.
    3.- look at your crossfader curve, it changes the output of the channels just changing the curve and remember that the meters on each channel are tied to the gain input on the Channel and the master output it is tied to volume faders you change the faders and your channel reading does not suffer any change, totally opposite to the master reading.
    Hope it helps.
    THIS!!!! ^^^

You on the money mate!

Tech Mentor

Anyone interested in my conclusions here they are.

1) The audio latency is definitely traktor. Getting a faster computer to lower the USB latency seems to help here.

2) I've turned off headroom preference option and just set my master output to -3db. I also found that there is a drop in the mixer's master volume when you turn on the filter button AND the FX loop is connected.
    I tested this by disconnecting the FX loop and turning on the filter. There was no volume drop. Heck I left the filter on and then plugged and unpluged the FX loop and I could actually make the volume go up and down.

3) I realised this was actually me misinterpreting what was going on. I had the filter button on and I was pressing the cue/master button and what I was seeing was the drop in the master volume due to the FX loop being plugged in and the filter button being on at the same time. Testing this with everything off showed no difference in volume.

Tech Mentor

2.- in the xone 22 the filtre Button also doubles as fx loop engage button