Are post fader fx possible in Traktor - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DJ MiCL View Post
    Thanks for confirming!
    while you CAN'T get Traktor to do both "FX panel to group" and "Set group FX 1 effect 1 to Delay" which seems more than a reasonable request. And since it will do the second half that it failed to do the first time if you press the button again (unlike the multiple beat jump problem), things just make less sense....
    Anyway, great discussing this kind of stuff and will make sure to post update if I find anything good.
    Yeah.. have been trying to get "Change Deck Flavor=Track Deck" & "Deck Size=Advanced" to work with one button press, but without success. If I come out of the sample decks the decks default to compact size (think it's compact - the one between micro and normal size). Have to then press button again to get the decks to switch to advanced size
    I can't avoid it, but I'm gonna need to learn either midimasher or Bomes to do this automagically with delays.

Quote Originally Posted by escapemcp View Post
    Yeah.. have been trying to get "Change Deck Flavor=Track Deck" & "Deck Size=Advanced" to work with one button press, but without success. If I come out of the sample decks the decks default to compact size (think it's compact - the one between micro and normal size). Have to then press button again to get the decks to switch to advanced size
    ah... i guess that's another (unexpected) set of commands that traktor sees are linked to the same kind of area and so does it's best to do what u want. seems very odd to me tho that those two don't work on one button.

I can't avoid it, but I'm gonna need to learn either midimasher or Bomes to do this automagically with delays.
    u can use midimasher just like bomes too, by passing thru all/most data unaffected and adding/changing just certain midi messages.

i have a couple of lines to enable fader effect like on the twitch which i think is quite neat, well one to add the toggle button and one to switch the fader between volume and inverted-effect (max at the bottom) and i think i've got the set of commands setup right to do the post fader fx stuff too using the method DJ MiCL described. the beauty of doing it in midimasher is that u can just wack anything like that in a function and then use whenever u like on any controller in the future with one tiny config file edit...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

i've been playing with controlling traktor effects via midimasher this weekend and came up with a function to replicate your post fader fx setup (i think)

Code:
    function traktor.post_fader_fx(deck, unit, status)
        if status == nil or status == ON then

local vol = get("traktor", "volume_fader_"..deck)

traktor.fx_setup{
                unit = unit,
                mode = "single",
                fx = "Gater",
                param1 = OFF,
                button1 = ON,
                button2 = OFF,
                drywet = vol,
                active = ON,
                deck_a = ON
            }
        else
            local vol = get("traktor", "dry_wet_single_unit_"..unit)
            traktor.fx_setup{ unit = 1, deck_a = OFF }
        end
    end
    then it can just be enabled with a line like this:

Code:
    traktor.post_fader_fx("a", 2, ON)
    and attached to a toggle button or something

routing the fader to either normal volume control or the dry/wet is already handled by existing code. seems to work quite well

it gets the current volume of the fader and sets that to the drywet and vice versa when u leave post fader effects mode - so it doesnt matter so much at what point the fader is when u enter/leave this mode

so when in post fader effect mode the effect is still supposed to diminish but not instantly like when prefader? i like the sound of it for delays and stuff anyway
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post

it gets the current volume of the fader and sets that to the drywet and vice versa when u leave post fader effects mode - so it doesnt matter so much at what point the fader is when u enter/leave this mode
    Yeah, I achieved that in my cross fader edition too. It was doable because there's an option to disable the routing to crossfader -- I could keep the crossfader and dry/wet ganged at all times.

One thing I like about the cross fader version is that the curves are closer to each other than the volume version. The Gater passes through 100% audio at around "64" -- center of the cross fader.

In your method, if you preferred a more "volume fader-like curve" I guess you could translate the midi that goes to Gater from "0-127" to "127 - 64"?

Anyway, I am really starting to envy your set up... Programming like that is much more intuitive than using the Traktor controller manager. But! I am going to push the limits of Traktor before I resort to that -- I feel the need... and in hopes that NI will fix the manager in a major update in the future.

One little complaint I have in Traktor is that some options don't appear in the pulldown, although they are "doable". I know they are doable because manufacture mappings sometime come set to those options, and once you change it, the option never shows up in the pull down. (Like, it came in interaction mode "hold", while it's not offered as on option in the pull down once you change it to "trigger")

One thing I ask of Native Instruments is to not judge which features are unnecessary to the DJs. Stick to judging what options are illogical and/or can cause infinite loops and hanging, will you please....
    Last edited by DJ MiCL; 11-28-2011 at 12:44 AM.

One thing I like about the cross fader version is that the curves are closer to each other than the volume version. The Gater passes through 100% audio at around "64" -- center of the cross fader.

In your method, if you preferred a more "volume fader-like curve" I guess you could translate the midi that goes to Gater from "0-127" to "127 - 64"?
    yep - very easy to do i'll try that later. cheers - hadn't thought of that

i had been passing the value thru this function for faderfx to control the wet/dry when the faderfx mode is active, and the same kind of thing will work here for the "post fader fx" mode. as u can see it would be simple to tweak

Code:
    function invert_value_cb(d, e, v, p)
        v = 127 - v
        return v
    end
    so right now i have the volume fader on my djm101 doing one of three things:

* controlling the volume of deck a
    * controlling the wet/dry for faderfx mode
    * controlling the gater level for post fader fx mode

i just need to add some code so this can easily be assigned to any fader, and then if faderfx mode is enabled then it takes priority, but will still leave the gater enabled (and at it's current level) if post fader fx mode is also enabled.

too many possibilities when u can embed whatever logic u like in code i guess

i think i'll also wack a global "exit button" like the guy like thictool mentioned on his 4loop thread - which will reset all fx related settings and add a wash of reverb to bleed out... else if i want to get out of all fx quickly it might get confusing....

Anyway, I am really starting to envy your set up... Programming like that is much more intuitive than using the Traktor controller manager. But! I am going to push the limits of Traktor before I resort to that -- I feel the need... and in hopes that NI will fix the manager in a major update in the future.
    i'm sure (?) that they will fix the controller manager one day - but doubt they'll ever allow embedded logic like i can do with midimasher. there again other apps do have some of this - even virtual dj. which while people here mostly like to slag of is far more advanced than traktor in this area.

One little complaint I have in Traktor is that some options don't appear in the pulldown, although they are "doable". I know they are doable because manufacture mappings sometime come set to those options, and once you change it, the option never shows up in the pull down. (Like, it came in interaction mode "hold", while it's not offered as on option in the pull down once you change it to "trigger")
    yep - i've noticed that for a few things. odd?

i just hit a traktor bug/issue related to this i think... my midimasher mapping for selecting the effect for unit 1 in single mode was just setting the effect unit to "empty" when i moved the fader, even tho units 2/3/4 worked fine. i tried restarting traktor a few times and even changed the type to "button" etc and couldn't see any difference between that and the other ones. no modifiers were used ofc.

i deleted it and re-added and now all is fine... really odd...

i just wrapped up the faderfx and postfaderfx code i had written into one function so it's easy to add:

Code:
    traktor.faderfx("djm101", "volume_fader_a", 0, ON, OFF, "a",
        { d = "mf", e = "1,0", unit = 3 },
        { d = "mf", e = "1,1", unit = 1 }
    )
    this handles the routing/use of the volume fader on my djm101 and creates 2 toggle buttons on my midifighter to control faderfx and postfaderfx modes.

if the faderfx toggle is set then the fader instead routes (in this example) to the wet/dry of effects unit 3

if the postfaderfx toggle is set then it loads and activates the gater in unit 1 and uses the volume fader to control that (unless the faderfx mode is also activated)

hit another issue of traktor not processing all commands in one hit tho... it seems to ignore all my effects unit params the first time but does at least change the mode to single. once the unit is in single mode then it works fine. odd, as even adding in some delays didn't fix this one...

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    yep - the ones that didn't beat jump 6 only jumped by 4 beats - never 2 beats.

it all seems a bit odd to me. i can only presume due to some kind of error trapping/correction so if it finds the two beatjumps mapped to one control, or 2 different beatjumps coming in at the same time (tho still sequentially ofc) traktor tries to do what it thinks u wanted... just a shame that it's wrong

i suppose this way might simplify some complex mappings within traktor - less modifiers etc needed if u can override an existing control? but since no one seems to quite know how/why it processes multiple items this behaviour doesn't make much sense to me.
    Just played around with the hotcue thing that I mentioned before. I set up a mapping to hotcue 3 (first) then to hotcue 4 (both from same button)... it ALWAYS went to HC4. I then swapped the commands (changed 'Set To Value' from 3 to 4 and 4 to 3), thus reversing commands. It then always went to hotcue 3. So if traktor has 2 competing commands, it seems to take the most recent one. Got to recheck my mappings now and hopefully see if i can fix my change deck flavor/change deck size thing...

PC/Mhac, Traktor 2, Citronic MP-X10, 2 x Kam KCD450, Behringer BCD3000, Echo Audio Layla 3G, Numark EM-460 w/Kaoss Pad, Shure C606, Carlsbro Tytan PA, Turbosound TXD121 12" Tops, Reloop RHP-20
    http://soundcloud.com/escapemcp

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherdj View Post
    for example, if I use reverb and and pull the channel fader down i'd still like to hear the reverb. I used to be able to do it on my old djm 600.

I think traktor uses pre fader fx, so when I pull the fader down it cuts the fx along with the music, which is a bit annoying!

Anyone know if there is a way around this?

I'm using a mixtrack pro.

Thanks.
    I didn't read the whole thread so I am not sure this answer has been given yet. When you use effects and you want to keep the effect with out the track in the mix the only way possible is to stop the track or pause it. I have tried numerous ways around this since I use to use a send/return with my old mixers and liked to fade the track out while having a echo from the efx500 slowly fade out over the next track.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Ableton Live 8, Vestax VCM-600, Technics 1210 MK5 (2), Audio8DJ, Vintage Urei 1620 Rotary Mixer, Bozak CMA-10-2DL Custom Mixer, Kontrol X1 (2), Pioneer EFX-500, Facebook www.DJJasonPaul.com

Quote Originally Posted by escapemcp View Post
    Just played around with the hotcue thing that I mentioned before. I set up a mapping to hotcue 3 (first) then to hotcue 4 (both from same button)... it ALWAYS went to HC4. I then swapped the commands (changed 'Set To Value' from 3 to 4 and 4 to 3), thus reversing commands. It then always went to hotcue 3. So if traktor has 2 competing commands, it seems to take the most recent one. Got to recheck my mappings now and hopefully see if i can fix my change deck flavor/change deck size thing...
    as suspected then... the biggest pain being that there's no easy way to reorder stuff in the controller manager, without deleting and re/adding. unless you can just change some params about like u did there.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast