Are post fader fx possible in Traktor - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Whats jack audio btw? I have soundflower, is it the same kind of thing?

Yes more or less, jack can accept audio input, it's a bit cryptic at first but once you put it trough it's pace it's a great tool.
    Basically in jack you select your sound card, the latency/bitrate you want, the number of virtual channels, then launch the server (it's part of the app), and make the right connection in the routing panel.
    Or maybe you can do it with soundflower (tho i didn't try it) it should work the same, see what's best for you, don't forget to do extensive stress tests if you plan on playing out with this set up.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

cool thanks for the info, I will defo try it out some time this week.

Might pm if i get stuck, if thats ok?

I've not played out in years so dont think i'll be getting any booking in the near future, but will test it for sure!

I've had about 4 years off of djing so this digital stuff is all new to me!

No problems!
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Tech Wizard

how about you just find a sound card emulator the you could set inputs from your playing tracks and the outputs back into track as a "send/receive" then output the final audio through your sound card. like using this http://jackaudio.org/

Tech Wizard

wow guess i didnt read far enough

Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Tech Mentor

Hi,

There is the workaround that tdmusic shared on this forum (http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...496#post147496). He basically suggests that one can make the Gater effect simulate a volume fader, which can be hooked up pre-FX, effectively changing the FX to post-fader.

I first thought it to be sort of cumbersome to set up and use another effect to simulate post fader FX, but now that I've gotten into custom mapping, I've managed to come up with settings that can make the whole "simulating" part pretty much transparent.

Since I see quite a few people out there waiting for Traktor to update its FX units to support post-fader, I made a video tutorial explaining what can be done now to get quasi post fader effects in Traktor. Something to do while we wait...

Please check it out if you are interested!

Simulating post fader FX in Traktor Pro 2 (approx. 7 minutes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MwqxEKsU2U

Since it's not "Real" post fader, there are a few things...

##Post fader effects (PFFX) mode trouble shooting##

(1) You got to have the volume up before going into Post Fader FX Mode.
    The simulation itself is positioned pre-fader, so this is unavoidable. If you're mixing in, cut in the sound and throw it into PFFX.

(2)You want to be careful coming out of PFFX mode when the fader is all the way down.
    The fader being down usually means you want that deck to be quiet right? Well, coming out of PFFX entails sound, because the REAL volume fader is up - remember?

(3)Maybe okay for mixing out, but not really great for mixing in.
    Suppose you decided to go into PFFX mode half way during "mixing out" a track. All you need to do is STAY in PFFX mode and you can either gradually mix the rest of the way out, or you can cut out whenever you like. If you no longer want the prolonged echo/reverb, you can dry them out using the dedicated control of the FX. No problem. Just don't forget to stop the track before switching PFFX mode off. However, if you decide to go into PFFX mode half way into "mixing in", say, the volume being at around 60%, no matter how hard you smash the fader to the top end, the volume isn't going to get any louder than 60% - remember, the volume fader is stuck there. So, if you really want to pull this off, you need to come out of PFFX mode once in a while to increase the volume - something you might forget when you're going nuts with the FX and all.

The video shows how to set up your channel fader but I only did this because I usually don't use my crossfader. After completing the video, I put some thought into this and found out that, though a bit more complicated, modifying the crossfader is a much more elegant option, and probably what those of you who scratch really miss about set-top DJ mixers. I will write up a tutorial and post a link here later, but for those of you that customize your mappings, the following video should be pretty much self explanatory.

Supplementary to Simulating post fader FX in Traktro Pro 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjBsZe3kxq8
    Last edited by DJ MiCL; 11-14-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Typo

cunning solution... i have to try this...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

For those who mix externally:

In the video I said it works for external mixer mode as well. Obviously, I do not mean that this method will keep the effect sound going even if you cut out the sound using the fader on your hardware DJ mixer. For that, we need a whole other solution. The good news is, there is a real solution for those who mix externally - you get to use the send/return FX. My simulation, however, could be a handy way to get "post fader-ish" sounds, such as muting the song but letting the delay go on for a bit, before fading it back in (which you can't do with the freeze function), for those who mix externally. The downside is that you can't get that effect with the fader on your mixer - you need to use a knob or fader on the controller.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast