Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread - Page 47
Page 47 of 113 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Yeah the filter mixing mode is revolutionary; it takes a bit to get your head around how it works but it really gives you a lot more control over the sound. I pretty much mix exclusively in that mode now and get a bit annoyed when I have to use a regular mixer.

If you don't have the DB-x and you want to play around with this mode, it's easy enough to map controls in traktor to emulate it. Use the F-92 effect and map three knobs to LP, RES, and HP. I did this on my previous mixer (which was midi-mappable) before I got the DB4 and it works great, though without the pretty lights.
    Can I ask what you previous mixer was?

As Traktor can allow for this thru mapping, I assume any controller could be mapped to do the same in TP2? Like the XoneX?
    Xone DX, SE-DJ5000, Itch
    http://soundcloud.com/eizhauz

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    If the EQs were laid out normally then you couldn't tweak the resonance and the frequency at the same time with two hands
    How big are your hands? I've never even seen a mixer that was too cramped for me to adjust 2 adjacent EQ knobs at the same time.

I mean…a lot of recording consoles are laid out like the db2/4 (well, the EQ knobs)…but they're actually cramped and it matters. The db4 just looks laid out badly.

It's a great mixer…no question about it. But I just can't see spending that much money on something that ugly when there are other mixers I know I'd like better. If they'd laid it out right and given a real rotary option, that wouldn't be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    The tri modal EQs in filter mode. Really is a viable alternative to normal EQing.
    That part, I'd agree with…I wouldn't use anything else. But having owned a xone and basically ignored the filters the whole time, I'm not sure I'd use them either.

Yeah the filter mixing mode is revolutionary;
    Revolutionary? How many mixers have had filters like that before? Unless I'm missing something, the number is "a lot."

What am I missing about it?

If you don't have the DB-x and you want to play around with this mode, it's easy enough to map controls in traktor to emulate it. Use the F-92 effect and map three knobs to LP, RES, and HP. I did this on my previous mixer (which was midi-mappable) before I got the DB4 and it works great, though without the pretty lights.
    That will work great on my X1600! Now that I am concentrating more on actual mixing/eq'ing I can't even stand to listen to the ladder filter- sounds way to harsh.

Thanks Proben, you just made my Friday night (sad I know) lol.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    How big are your hands? I've never even seen a mixer that was too cramped for me to adjust 2 adjacent EQ knobs at the same time.
    Certainly not on any I've owned. Yeah you can do it but it's awkward and you can't do it comfortably-I don't see any reason to dislike the staggered layout other than it looks different than a typical dj mixer- and I think it makes the DB4 look pretty cool. Using the filter mode EQ is a two handed job, to orient them vertically you would need a full inch of clearance between each knob to avoid peoples fingers from getting caught or touching and allow full control.

Also try a pmc-06, you can't adjust one knob at a time properly.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 02-17-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Revolutionary? How many mixers have had filters like that before? Unless I'm missing something, the number is "a lot."

Per channel dual HP and LP filters with resonance control? I've never seen that in a DJ mixer before.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Per channel dual HP and LP filters with resonance control? I've never seen that in a DJ mixer before.
    Yep, only the db2 and db4

Yeah the filter mixing mode is revolutionary; it takes a bit to get your head around how it works but it really gives you a lot more control over the sound. I pretty much mix exclusively in that mode now and get a bit annoyed when I have to use a regular mixer.
    Indeed, this way of mixing feels really natural to me. And the sound is so smooth !
    On my previous Xone mixers i used the filters a lot; but with this way with the hi and low together; it's just so good.

yeah, it's not the normal filters but the one you use wen switched the EQ mode to filter mode (both the DB2 as the DB4).
    Kontrol X1MK2 <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eizhauz View Post
    Can I ask what you previous mixer was?

As Traktor can allow for this thru mapping, I assume any controller could be mapped to do the same in TP2? Like the XoneX?
    It was an Ecler Evo 5 (yeah I'm spoiled)... but you can do it with any midi mixer, from the DX to the DDM4000 if you want.

-- and yeah to confirm what others said in response to mostapha, I don't know another mixer outside of the DBs that allow filter mixing in this manner. It's not just having filters; it's being able to actually mix with the filters -- adjusting HP and LP and RES when you need to, on each channel, in the mix. Rather than sweeping one direction or another with whatever resonance value you set earlier. You have to try it for a while to get your head around it but it's actually really focused in terms of sound. And I can't explain why because I'm not a sound engineer but for me it's very different (and much "tighter") from adjusting bass/mid/treb with the knobs.
    Last edited by djproben; 02-18-2012 at 03:45 AM.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

The xone 92 has filters that you can kinda use like that, and the pmc cx has them per channel, though without resonance.

And I had my vcm600 mappd to be able to do it with ableton a while ago, before the db4, so I guess I'm just not that impressed. But I also don't use EQs much at all anymore and generally have grown to hate the sound of filters in DJ sets.

I'm not knocking it. I just don't think it's revolutionary in any way. It's a very slight improvement on something I think they already drove into the ground. But, again, I basically just use my EQs because they sound phasey...which kinda sounds cool on vocals. I don't use them to mix, and I doubt that would change with a db4. I could be wrong, though.

Trust me, being able to adjust the resonance on the fly makes a BIG difference. As does being able to adjust both HP and LP on two different tracks at the same time. You just have to try it to see what it feels like -- maybe it's just not for you. And OK, maybe "revolutionary" is an exaggeration, but you are like the king of exaggeration, so I don't feel too bad about that
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan