I want to use S4's gain encoders for FX select!
    Tech Mentor

Default I want to use S4's gain encoders for FX select!

Hey all, first post on here but a longtime DJTT reader. I'm the proud owner of a new S4 and I'm perfectly happy with it except for one thing, I want an easier way to select which FX I wan from the drop down menu. I'm using autogain but I still want the ability to adjust gain manually so the tutorial for disabling the gain encoders over on traktorbible.com http://traktorbible.com/freaks/mappingview.aspx?id=118 is not what I'm looking for, or so I understand.

What I AM looking for is the ability to assign the pushbuttons in the encoders rather than reset the gain to do one of two things:

1. Use the pushbuttons for a simple foward/back scroll of which single effect to use, this will probably be easiest to implement.

2. OR... use the pushbutton as a modifier for the encoder, so that when it's pushed down it functions as a scroller through the effects list.

Thoughts? I'm not asking anyone to do it for me because I want to learn but I don't have a whole lot of free time. I've been using Traktor on and off for a few years so I'm not clueless but this S4 is some next next isht! I'll be sure to post up my mapping when it's dialed, thanks in advance!

EDIT: If this belongs in the S4 discussion area, mods feel free to move.
    Last edited by CryderSteez; 04-17-2011 at 12:19 AM.

You could probably just map a shift button as a modifier which, when held down, allows you to scroll through effects with the same effects encoder... no need to use a different encoder.

Dunno if I make myself clear..

The S4 already does this by hitting shift and the FX buttons. I don't think you can map it to see the list though.

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    The S4 already does this by hitting shift and the FX buttons. I don't think you can map it to see the list though.
    This!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Modify that mapping so it only occurs when a modifier (shift) has a value different than 0, you you keep the ability of adjusting the gains.
    You can't override the gain reset (push encoder) behavior, so you will need a different command for the modifier.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    This!
    Thanks everyone for the input.

This is true, but it only works in one direction in the list and with that many effects I don't want both my hands tied up for that long.

I have had some success mapping the pushbuttons to the FX select command that's available in the map editor, but rather than a one push, one forward/back behavior it only moves once every two button presses, like and on/off switch. I'm sure this is a matter of assigning the correct behavior but I don't know which one that is yet, any ideas? Of course before I do that I'm going to need to disable the gain reset command that those push encoders currently occupy but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the list, it sounds like this isn't possible, correct? I know that disabling the rotating part of the encoder is... Shift+gain encoder would be a workable solution, I was hoping for one handed but anything beats touching the laptop...

This is true, but it only works in one direction in the list and with that many effects I don't want both my hands tied up for that long.
    Two suggestions:

Just remove from the Fx list, inside the preferences, the ones you don't use...

Map the search function(s) to the fx knobs, integrating a shift condition (there's none previewed on those knob so you can add that). You won't be able to stop the knobs from moving the linked parameter but that won't be really an issue if you're looking to change the fx anyway, and it's way more practical than pushing several times shift + the fx buttons to choose a effect.