Good DJ headphones? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Convert

The only thing I really love about them is they gave me a sound a I wanted to move towards. Spending A life on $20 dollar headphones that boost the base like they are Zeus, hearing the Beats crisp mid to high range gave me more ideas of how to mix a strong song
    DJ Gear: S4 | Traktor 2
    Audio Engineering Gear: 15" Macbook Pro | Logic Studio 2 | Presonus Firestudio | SM58's | Blue Spark | M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzy View Post
    I was wondering why the Beats are never mentioned and I wanted people opinion. I feel like they clean up a lot when I'm listening to my iPod but what is the "DJ" opinion?
    I think the regular beats are meh but having used the Beats Pro I think they are excellent headphones, just not for the money. The metal build and comfort of the beats pro is close to the HDJ-2000s and the sound is also excellent for DJing.

However the $399 price is high. If they were $249 they would be a decent option that put them up their with the Xone: XD-53s and HDJ-2000s.

Tech Convert

The Pros are around 500 and the Studio's are around 300. I have the Studio's and got the before i started to DJ. I think they produce a consumer sound not a producer
    DJ Gear: S4 | Traktor 2
    Audio Engineering Gear: 15" Macbook Pro | Logic Studio 2 | Presonus Firestudio | SM58's | Blue Spark | M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Senny HD280s ;D

Screw headphones made for DJs
    Those are DJ headphones…

Quote Originally Posted by B.Hallowell View Post
    Well I've had the Sony MDR-V700's and they're not bad for the price point but like people have said they're structurally weak so they're now my studio headphones since I just ordered the TMA-1's from the DJTT store.
    The v700 also sound like crap…unless every pair I've heard has been broken…which is possible, because they were display models at GC.

I really feel they are more for studio and broadcasting use than DJing, but the huge size, massive isolation and lack of ability to really be worn on only one ear suits me fine.
    Last edited by MrPopinjay; 10-18-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Mentor

I did dj with my urbanears for the last 2 gigs, I've done and it was good enough lol. I want to get a good pair of dj cans tho.

I'm using Sennheiser HD595's at the moment since I've had them before DJ'ing... they are 'open' style cans though so you get all the external noise bleeding in. Not great for DJ'ing I guess but amazing headphones otherwise =D

I think I will switched to some 'closed' style cans soon.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    That's actually what I'm planning on. I use my HD-25s now, and it's not like I'm getting rid of them…but IEMs are just better in a lot of ways if your mixer has a cue/master blend control for the headphone signal.
    if you do get these be sure to get an inline volume control since the signal from a standard mixer will probably be very loud on in-ear phones as oppose to normal cans.

back to the original question, if you are just starting out and your playing at home i.e. not a super loud club enviroment, tbh you can get away with cheaper headphones since the isolation etc doesn't really matter if your just at home.

Tech Convert

U cant beat HD25's

Ive had my pair since 97 and they have survived heavy club use (3-4 nights a week) and are still going strong!

I love that all spare parts are available. In 14 years I have only had to replace

1 Driver, 3 cables, 1 Headband pad and 5-6 ear pads.

Its worth the original cost for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    Buy once-cry once. Get Sennheiser HD25's or Pioneer HDJ2000's or some other high-end pair (Except beats by Dre or any other X by X type headphones), then never buy headphones ever again. You'll thank me later when you realize that your headphones have lasted 5+ years and you still have use of your ears when you are 50. You'll realize that $2-300 you spent once was well worth it. Or you can get cheapo headphones, have them break after repeated use, and then have to spend more money after that happens. It's up to you.
    Yeah I said almost the exact same thing to my friend who was asking me about headphones, he is a beginner.. BUT despite all my efforts, the dumb shit still went out and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD205's, after I told him I use sennheiser HD25's. I tried telling him to spend min $180-$280 and not to bother looking at anything outside that margin.. he chose to go a cheaper route, was blown away by the 205's so much that he decided to come over and show me how great they were.

After listening to them for like 10 seconds, I plugged in my HD25's and put them on his head. HE was blown away by the sound. Then I did the same with my KNS8400's and even my old technics RPDJ1200's. Same result. So now he is looking at getting either HDJ2000, HDJ500, HD25 or some technics. Go figure? Only lost $80 not listening to advice from someone who has been around for a bit lol
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast