Basic Mapping Help Needed
    Tech Convert

Default Basic Mapping Help Needed

Ok so I have just acquired a Korg microKontrol and I'm working to set it up for use in Ableton.

I'm using this python script: http://chippanfire.com/software/wac-kmk-control-script/

which supposedly makes the keyboard an amazing piece of kit for ableton.

Now i've followed the instructions in the PDF to the best of my ability but i still can't seem to get it to work.

I'm in windows 7 using loopMIDI as my virtual midi port bc midiyoke just doesnt work for windows 7. but ill include a link to their website too and a picture of my ableton preferences, so hopefully someone can help me out.

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/loopMIDI.html
    *Note- MicroKontrol is what i named the port in loopMidi.

and

i use loopMIDI and it's excellent, but it doesn't let you choose a device to route "from" or "to" for each virtual midi port does it? i use it to create virtual midi ports and then route input/output using other apps.

the script will handle the routing from virtual device(s) to live - but how are you routing the other end of the virtual midi ports to the actual microkontrol?
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Convert

Yeah I have no idea about that at all. How should i go about connecting the microkontrol to loopMidi

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
    Yeah I have no idea about that at all. How should i go about connecting the microkontrol to loopMidi
    i don't think u can without extra software. i know people have used "bomes keyboard" to do that before, as it lets u select any midi input port and output port and it then routes between them.

midiyoke (afaik) has that feature builtin. i have read of people getting it to run on win7 im pretty sure - might be worth trying that route again.

loopMIDI is an awesome app but it really just creates virtual midi ports for u to use - it doesn't route actual midi devices to them automatically afaik.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Convert

Yeah so i'm basically giving up on midiyoke as an option in windows 7, apparently you can get it to install by turning of UAC and whatnot but you run into problems when you try to use it. I've found an alternative called loopBe1.
    and even though it only gives me one midi port thats all I need for now. But i'm worrying about running into the same problem i hit with loopMidi. in that I wont be able to "attach" my microKontrol to the internal midi port. so if you or anyone could give me any advice concerning that step I'd be forever grateful.

Yeah so i'm basically giving up on midiyoke as an option in windows 7, apparently you can get it to install by turning of UAC and whatnot but you run into problems when you try to use it. I've found an alternative called loopBe1.
    and even though it only gives me one midi port thats all I need for now. But i'm worrying about running into the same problem i hit with loopMidi. in that I wont be able to "attach" my microKontrol to the internal midi port. so if you or anyone could give me any advice concerning that step I'd be forever grateful.
    try "bomes keyboard" like i already suggested...

Tech Convert

Well, first bomes keyboard costs money. Which i don't have as a struggling college student ha. Secondly, it restricts itself to your computer keyboard if i'm not mistaken. Normal Bome's midi translator would probably work but again it costs about $100 which im not in a position to shell out. Do you know of any other free alternatives? In your first post you said you used other apps to route your gear to loopMidi. Is there anything your using that is free or cheaper than bomes keyboard/translator?

Well, first bomes keyboard costs money. Which i don't have as a struggling college student ha. Secondly, it restricts itself to your computer keyboard if i'm not mistaken. Normal Bome's midi translator would probably work but again it costs about $100 which im not in a position to shell out. Do you know of any other free alternatives? In your first post you said you used other apps to route your gear to loopMidi. Is there anything your using that is free or cheaper than bomes keyboard/translator?
    it's sort of free... u can just send them a postcard and you get a reg key but u can try it free for a while anyway. i installed a copy ages ago and it hasnt asked me to reg yet. so u can at least give it a try to see if it works or not http://www.bome.com/products/mousekeyboard

and nope it doesn't restrict u to your keyboard etc. u can choose any one midi input port and any one midi output port.

the only app i use is my own midimasher that is ofc free. it can route midi notes (not hi res), cc's and program change messages from any device to any other device.

it's not really designed to just route messages out unchanged to a diff device but theres no reason why it wouldnt with the right config. what data is your korg sending out etc? i.e: what midi channel and what notes or cc's, then i could create a config for you. it's had more testing the last week so i'd feel more confident of it actually working for you.

edit: at least give that bomes keyboard thing a go first - just to see if it works.