How do I switch to top 40 without holding my nose? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tech Guru

shut up and hold that nose.

Quote Originally Posted by djrosco View Post
    this,
    playing top 40 crowds can be a lot of fun.
    Doing a charity gig lead to many more paying gigs for me.
    Paying gigs mean money to feed my rgas and music collection.
    Winning.
    !!!!!

Me too! :d
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

go listen to some top40 radio stations that have live djs, not sure where you are from but it's becoming a pretty big trend around southern california.

i actually have a top40 gig coming up and have been practicing for the past month. while i too didn't enjoy it at fist i am now getting more used to it and really liking where im going, but it wasn't until i heard other people doing it. mixing top 40 is much different than just house or electro, you just have to get used to it inorder to havre some fun.

note: go check out the djcity blog. they have a few really good top 40mixes.

also remember the older your crowd the more older songs you'll have to play and you'll probably have to be a bit more creative (a room of 40yr olds is much different than a club full of 20yr olds)
    Last edited by Invoke; 10-04-2011 at 02:13 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    Wtf is with all the top40's hate? You guys must not know about DJ AM or just lack the creativity to figure out how to mix because top40s and hiphop can be entirely enjoyable to mix given the proper practice and skill.
    Not hating on top40/hip-hop at all, just the fact that he would except a gig knowing full well he's not prepared for it. Far from being professional.

But I wouldn't enjoy playing top40/hip any more than a top40/hip-hop jock would enjoy playing some underground techno/deep house tunes. It's not a question of being skillful enough to play this or that, it's a question of if you like what you're playing regardless of skill level.

I've had plenty of offers to play at this club or that event and get paid well for it but I declined them because I know I wouldn't enjoy it and I wasn't prepared for it. Instead of wasting my time trying to learn and research what's all on the radio and then have to go BUY all those tracks, I would rather spend that time looking into music I would actually enjoy and want to buy.

Instead, I pass those gigs onto friends who I know would enjoy it and do a get job, and those friends have eventually heard about so and so gig or event and helped me get into those.

Don't be afraid to pass a gig onto some one else if you know you can't handle as it will come back around!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234