How do I switch to top 40 without holding my nose? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    you have some evidence for this? I doubt even .00001% of such disputes ever see the inside of a courtroom, if even that. Small claims maybe but still there's no way "a lot" of cases would end up there; and, frankly, if you played the gig you're going to win such a case. No way a small claims court is going to render a decision on whether a Katy Perry remix is or is not "top 40" or "pop."

As for the original question, I'd say play the gig and see how it goes. You might find you actually enjoy it. I'm definitely not a top 40 guy but I get a real kick out of gigs like this (and I like to mix it up with old funk and disco, not stuff the top 40 crowd will complain about but stuff that is a lot more fun for me and for anyone dancing). If you hate it, don't take such gigs in the future, but why not give it a shot? You might find you like it (and either way you'll make money).

=-=-= erm, just read your comment that you're not getting paid for it; two things about this - one, obviously, there's less reason to take it if that's the case (though the experience and the opportunity to be heard could still make it worth it -- I have gotten some good gigs out of charity events in the past), but two, that means there's less pressure and more room for your own creativity. Tell your friend you're willing to do it and you'll do your best to rock the crowd, but you're not a top 40 DJ. The old beggars can't be choosers mantra applies here....
    yea, i've seen it on judge judy and read stories. If i ask you to paint my house white and you paint it black. i can refuse paying you. same principal, you didnt fulfill our agreement.

just watching out for the dude.
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Tell them that if they want a house DJ to play for free, you're the man.
    If they want a top40 DJ, they need to find someone else.

This.

You know for all the hate people on here have for Top 40, there are some bad ass DJ's that play open format out there and the same type of negative comments could be made about DJing house music. I could say, just download beatports top 100, all songs have intro's, and just hit some delay or reverb during the break down, best of all you can just hit sync and not ever have to scratch.

I went to a club not too long ago and Joe Maz from DiscoTech was playing and it was one of the tightest sets I've heard. Regardless of genre. Don't be haters fellas.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Default How do I switch to top 40 without holding my nose?

Wtf is with all the top40's hate? You guys must not know about DJ AM or just lack the creativity to figure out how to mix because top40s and hiphop can be entirely enjoyable to mix given the proper practice and skill.

In fact I'd say it's harder to mix top40's because of the expectation the crowd has when listening to top40's tracks. You have to be innovative in a way that makes people forget you are chopping up their favorite tunes while keeping them dancing and making them go crazy.

Sure most top40s djs lack any sort of creativity but if you have enough practice, and skill you can have some of the most creative sets which do more than just rely on proper phrasing, energy and EQing but also incorporate concepts like wordplay and juxtaposition to create moods by interplaying lyrics.

To be a great top40s Dj you need to have an encyclopedic knowledge of tracks spanning over 20-30 years with proficiency in mixing multiple genres ranging from disco/funk, to rap/hiphop, and house. you need to be able to cut and scratch, blend, use proper effects, and create seamless transitions from one genre to the next and do all of the above while reading an extremely finicky crowd who might stop dancing after one wrong choice. Most single format edm DJs would simply not be able to step up to this challenge.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    Wtf is with all the top40's hate? You guys must not know about DJ AM or just lack the creativity to figure out how to mix because top40s and hiphop can be entirely enjoyable to mix given the proper practice and skill.

In fact I'd say it's harder to mix top40's because of the expectation the crowd has when listening to top40's tracks. You have to be innovative in a way that makes people forget you are chopping up their favorite tunes while keeping them dancing and making them go crazy.

Sure most top40s djs lack any sort of creativity but if you have enough practice, and skill you can have some of the most creative sets which do more than just rely on proper phrasing, energy and EQing but also incorporate concepts like wordplay and juxtaposition to create moods by interplaying lyrics.

To be a great top40s Dj you need to have an encyclopedic knowledge of tracks spanning over 20-30 years with proficiency in mixing multiple genres ranging from disco/funk, to rap/hiphop, and house. you need to be able to cut and scratch, blend, use proper effects, and create seamless transitions from one genre to the next and do all of the above while reading an extremely finicky crowd who might stop dancing after one wrong choice. Most single format edm DJs would simply not be able to step up to this challenge.
    THIS,
    Playing top 40 crowds can be a lot of fun.
    Doing a charity gig lead to many more paying gigs for me.
    Paying gigs mean money to feed my RGAS and music collection.
    Winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post

Could not agree more with this. The other thing I love about playing these kind of gigs is that you have to completely leave your ego behind and play to the crowd. Yeah you're not going to get to play out all those tasty new beats you got and show off your underground tunes and long mixes, but you're going to make a few hundred people's friday night go off with a bang and share it with them!
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Quote Originally Posted by ST.PE` View Post
    yea, i've seen it on judge judy and read stories. If i ask you to paint my house white and you paint it black. i can refuse paying you. same principal, you didnt fulfill our agreement.

just watching out for the dude.
    Judge Judy had a case where she had to decide whether a Britney Spears remix was top 40? I don't think so. And even if she did, you really can't apply any of that to the real world; those cases are taken for pure entertainment value, and while the participants agree to be bound by her decisions, those decisions are meaningless in terms of legal precedent.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

about the whole pride issue, and integrity thing, I'd rather play top 40 every once in a while at a place and get paid, its better then playing to an empty bedroom all the time.

Tech Wizard

Sometimes you have to go outside your comfort zone. I DJ'd at a club that was primarily hard rap and pretty much "ghetto" hip hop(may not be PC, but you get the idea), which is not really what i listen to, however, i sucked it up and started researching a lot of artist and songs. i got a lot of requests for songs i never head, i.e. "It my dawg birfday", but luckily they had wifi there so i could easily download tracks on the fly. I got paid for my gigs, which made me happy and people got to hear music they liked, not just what i liked.

honestly, sometimes its not about pride, its about getting paid......or in this case, hooking up a charity orginization(which i would do for free in a heartbeat no matter the music genre)

Banned

Well, there's a difference between a working DJ and a DJ who is following following his passion and art and won't compromise his integrity just to get "paid". Plus I'm sure there are a number of other DJ who are more qualified than yourself to do the gig so why not toss them a bone and continue to pursue what you really want to do and play.

Tech Convert

you shouldnt have taken the gig. if you dont have what they want to hear or even elctro/house/ remixes of it. your lost.

i have a whole genre called POP/HOUSE its top40 songs remixed or reproduced with house or electro beats. pretty much the same top40 song but electro

there are tons of remixes of every top40 song. if you cant find the good ones you shouldnt be djing gigs for top 40 crowds (which is 90% of the gigs out there)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast