Genre name ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genre name ?

Every border gets blurred as times goes, but i came here to know if a name was assigned to this subgenre, there is not, ok.
    You don't see the point of categorizing everything, ok, but i don't see a point questionning my dj skills or even my knowledge about EDM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Quest View Post
    How can you insult Zaniac's musical competence
    My previous post was about DJZILCH. I guess we (or at least I) are in some kind for confusion.
    Last edited by dope; 09-26-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    Zaniac, did you listened to the tracks i linked ? I mean, the video you gave is pure crap imo, and taste apart, the only thing it has in common with the tracks i linked is the bpm..
    Both Porter Robinson's and Feed Me's track have just NO-THING to do with slowed down dutch house/raggaeton..

Never mind, thanks for the info about moombahton, my list of shitty EDM tracks is getting bigger
    So you didn't post this?....

Edit: And do some digging before you write moombahton off as just slowed down dutch house...the tracks you posted are moombahton tracks
    Last edited by Kid Quest; 09-26-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Samsung Ativ Book 8 15.6” i7-3635QM | Z2 | F1 | X1 | A6 | 2 x Str8-150 | TMA-1 | TSP
    KRK Rockit Gen 2 6 | Focusrite Saffire 6 | Ableton Push | Alesis V49 | TMA-1 Studio | Ableton Live 9
    http://www.soundcloud.com/kid-quest

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    Ok, no offense but that kind of behaviour is really annoying.
    no need to be such a dick - which is odd as u started out by saying "no offense..." lol!

djzilch does have a point. i can see why genre's need names - but so many these days just incorporate elements of others - and there's just soooo many of them.

there's also many styles/sounds that just hadn't been though of years ago - so ofc there will be many more genres but imho there's too many very subtle changed between lots these days that doesn't really justify a new genre name.

it's almost as if people *want* to create new genres all the time - not because the music style is so radically different from another that it actually deserves one - but just because it then becomes the "new thing"

more music styles is always a good thing - i just don't think that often when i hear something that is said to be from a new genre that it just reminds me of bits of other stuff - and has been done before.

or maybe it's just because as a producer i've never been able to create a radical new style that should be a new genre in it's own right who knows

no offence intended - but there was no need for such as assy reply to djzilch (actually not 100% sure how to spell "assy" )
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Wizard

What I love about Moombah is that girls can get freaky to it
    But what's lame is people aren't familiar with it yet

http://soundcloud.com/em_cee92/hey-l...h-original-mix

Oh here's my original moombahton track for free download if you want to add a new track to ur set!

Quote Originally Posted by Emcee92 View Post
    What I love about Moombah is that girls can get freaky to it
    But what's lame is people aren't familiar with it yet

http://soundcloud.com/em_cee92/hey-l...h-original-mix

Oh here's my original moombahton track for free download if you want to add a new track to ur set!
    Sooo true unless you havven't experienced moombahton in the club, idk how a heterosexual male can say they don't understand the appeal of moombahton . Nice track! The drums get a bit repetitive though and it could use more sub bass/the kick could hit a harder. Check out my track too man.
    Samsung Ativ Book 8 15.6” i7-3635QM | Z2 | F1 | X1 | A6 | 2 x Str8-150 | TMA-1 | TSP
    KRK Rockit Gen 2 6 | Focusrite Saffire 6 | Ableton Push | Alesis V49 | TMA-1 Studio | Ableton Live 9

Tech Wizard

Originally Posted by Kid Quest
    The drums get a bit repetitive though and it could use more sub bass/the kick could hit a harder.
    True that! I'm working on a new one. Anyway, that is some sick moombah! god dayum! Dope work yo! how'd u get the synth to sound like that? Like the Wu Tang Sample btw

No, I haven't experience Moombahton in a club, sadly. But I bet it gets them going .

Thanks man! A lot of those synth sounds were sampled from the original, but I did fatten them up a bit. Best ways I find to fatten up synths though is a combination of things.
    -Depending on the sound I like to give it a bit of drive/saturation. Use this sparingly though because it distorts the sound.

-I like to use compression on the synth only if it is really weak or the dynamic range is way too wide. Even then though I use it sparingly because it distorts the sound and the I compress the entire track again anyway when mastering.

-A bit of reverb can do wonders for a synth. Depending on what sound you are trying to get you may want to try adding a reverb effect directly onto the synth vs adding reverb via a send/return track. Both techniques have similar, but different effects.

-Lastly eqing is important in fattening up sound too. Personally I never use a eq to push up/make any frequencies louder. I think it doesn't sound as good as actually playing around with the synth itself to make it sound better. Eqing out the low frequencies that are inaudible and going to be drowned out by the kick anyway and eqing out the higher inaudible and ear piercing frequencies will give your noticably fatten up your synth though.

Then when I'm done with the track I like to use a vst like psp vintage warmer or something to give the whole track a warmer more analog sound. Hope that helps.

p.s all of those techniques work for fattening up drums too

Tech Wizard

Oh Snap, that's how I composed my synth sounds! Just sampling it and turning it into my own rhythm. Good advice. All the good engineering tips. Was this from a sample pack? Or something you had? Shit, that vintage warmer plug-in sounds like a good idea. Vst's won't work on logic though :/

Nah All the synth sounds in that track were sampled from the original track. It had a couple of parts in the track where the synth was playing by itself for the most part. I used filters/eqing to isolate the the synth sound as much as could. Other than that there was a lot of sample chopping and re pitching. I also reversed some of the chopped samples which gave me some cool sounds. A thing I like about ableton is that if you chop a sample and put it into a sampler (I use simpler) it gives a different sound than if you just take the sample and repitch it using abletons warping enigine. So I used a combination of both to get as many different sounds as I could with the few samples I had. If you have audacity you can use vst's in there I think. You could mix down your track and export it with it peaking around 10db or so then put it in audacity and use a warming vst, then open it back up in your daw and apply compresion limiting etc. I say export it then put it back in the daw because the warming vst's will make your track clip if you apply it after the limiting and stuff.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    genres these days, remember when trance was trance and house was house?
    What *I* remember is before trance split from house. This seems more like a return to those days than something new.
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast