The improvised DJ/production desk thread - Page 48
Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Hi, im looking to start my table and was wondering if anyone has setups with Ikea Kallax units, im thinking to get 6 of them 3 of them side by side then 3 behind as I want alot of space. i want my turntables to be dropped in flush on battle style and for my mixer to be on ramp . also want monitor stands, cdjs stand and laptop stand. ive had a look on ikea and not had any luck, some suggestions for units for a large table would be nice thanks. I will try and post some draft designs soon thanks,

Ikea Kallax is the right replacement. Apparently the "wood" is a bit thinner.

As for sinking them...you'd have better luck building another tabletop to sit on top of the shelves to make it look like they're sunk in than you would drilling into them.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    Hi, im looking to start my table and was wondering if anyone has setups with Ikea Kallax units, im thinking to get 6 of them 3 of them side by side then 3 behind as I want alot of space. i want my turntables to be dropped in flush on battle style and for my mixer to be on ramp . also want monitor stands, cdjs stand and laptop stand. ive had a look on ikea and not had any luck, some suggestions for units for a large table would be nice thanks. I will try and post some draft designs soon thanks,
    I haven't tried it so somebody who has may be able to correct me but i wouldn't trust that wood to be cut into and then left to support something heavy like technics.. the quality is quite bad and while it is sturdy enough when built it is all hollow with the inside filled with cardboard, if you start cutting bits away you're going to be left with a thin strip of wood holding your setup

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Peasey View Post
    Here's my effort - thanks to all for the inspiration (particularly kanaberra), ideas and advice...

<snip>
    what you using for the lighting?

Yea, I really dont think most people realize how the ikea stuff is made. The whole core of the stuff is cardboard. Once it has been hacked away and you have 100lbs of kit on it your left with a fragle piece of furniture.

The ikea stuff is great if left uncut and everything is built straight up (no angled brackets/shelves). The second you start cutting and or adding angled brackets and shelves that cause leverage, you run the risk of stuff breaking rather easy.

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    The ikea stuff is great if....
    Your goal is to waste money on disposable crap.

Coming from someone with a whole setup on ikea stuff i wouldn't drill into any of it. It's solid for light weight stuff but as i'm putting more and more weight onto my setup with vinyl/tts etc it starts to get flimsy.

You can drill THROUGH it fine - as long as you fix with nuts, bolts and repair washers.

What you DEFINITELY DON'T want to do, is screw directly into it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

btw, my last post was kind of a joke, in case anyone didn't get it.

I actually like their legs/frames just fine. And their bookshelves do work....so do their tabletops, depending on how heavy your stuff is.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Ikea Kallax is the right replacement. Apparently the "wood" is a bit thinner.

As for sinking them...you'd have better luck building another tabletop to sit on top of the shelves to make it look like they're sunk in than you would drilling into them.
    ok thanks yeah im thinking just to buy the kallax unit x4 or x6 and then just get my own table top where i can sink the turntables in.