The improvised DJ/production desk thread - Page 21
Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

13" MBP, mixtrack pro, LPD8 and BCR2000 currently going through some 2.1 computer speakers.

When I upgrade to some monitors I'm going to add 2 of the small Lack shelves as monitor stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Grade View Post
    13" MBP, mixtrack pro, LPD8 and BCR2000 currently going through some 2.1 computer speakers.

When I upgrade to some monitors I'm going to add 2 of the small Lack shelves as monitor stands.
    What about future proofing yourself and getting this.. I wish i did.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50103086/

Tech Wizard

I did think about that or buying 2 of the 2x2 ones and bolting them together to save £20 for the same thing. Plus space is a bit of an issue at the minute so the 2x2 withe the 120cm top would fit better

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Grade View Post
    Been reading the blog for a while and just stumbled across this thread.

Looking at creating a unit based on these ikea parts as just need something simple.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20135300/
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60117021/
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20049538/

The table top will be slightly longer than the shelving below. Does anyone see any issues with this.

Thanks
    Would anyone be kind enough to knock an image of this up like some of the others on here so I can see if it balances ok.

Thanks

Tech Convert

Glad I found this thread. My old DJ desk came from Ikea, but a leg on it broke so I'm hoping I can return and build something like this.

One question: I see a lot of studio monitors in these DJ booth setups. Do you guys like and recommend monitors for DJing? It seems like they're made more for flat reference audio. I have 15" floor speakers on stands but would like to condense my setup to take up less space. I've been warned away from monitors such as the KRK Rokits by producers and DJs alike, because I'm not producing, I'm just DJing. Do you guys think they're good speakers for home DJing?

Quote Originally Posted by Btros View Post
    Glad I found this thread. My old DJ desk came from Ikea, but a leg on it broke so I'm hoping I can return and build something like this.

One question: I see a lot of studio monitors in these DJ booth setups. Do you guys like and recommend monitors for DJing? It seems like they're made more for flat reference audio. I have 15" floor speakers on stands but would like to condense my setup to take up less space. I've been warned away from monitors such as the KRK Rokits by producers and DJs alike, because I'm not producing, I'm just DJing. Do you guys think they're good speakers for home DJing?
    My opinion is that if you are DJ'n at home try and have your speakers at ear level - mines are just below due to restrictions of height (see picture above). I love my KRK's, i purchased them on a bit of a budget and for £300 brand new for both i couldn't complain! Bang for buck is brilliant! I also have VXT's for producing and do notice quite a sound difference. I would advice them to be honest even though i think they are more suited for studio use.

But there are also a few alternatives such as Mackies etc.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Liambo View Post
    My opinion is that if you are DJ'n at home try and have your speakers at ear level - mines are just below due to restrictions of height (see picture above). I love my KRK's, i purchased them on a bit of a budget and for £300 brand new for both i couldn't complain! Bang for buck is brilliant! I also have VXT's for producing and do notice quite a sound difference. I would advice them to be honest even though i think they are more suited for studio use.

But there are also a few alternatives such as Mackies etc.
    God, your setup is sick. I should have been more clear maybe--I do have my floor speakers at ear level; they are on stands that are about four feet tall. But they are so wide that they take up a lot of space in the corner of the living room where I have them. My wife wants me to condense. I just can't see studio production monitors being very warm or full in the low end. But I have heard the KRK 6 and higher are a little bass-heavy.

Are there any other decent options for bookshelf-type speakers that are about the size of the KRK 6s that would produce more of a "live" sound rather than accurate studio monitoring?

Probably worth popping into an audiophile forum and asking there
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Probably worth popping into an audiophile forum and asking there
    I thought DJs would know what's best for a home DJing setup LOL! just kidding, I will ask around.

Who do you think will know more about car engines, taxi driver or a mechanic? Just because we use them (and probably know more than most) doesn't mean there ain't going to be people who are more knowledgeable.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!