The improvised DJ/production desk thread - Page 14
Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

I'm going to go with this, just have to decide where to bolt through, I've got some inch washers for the bottom or I could use the same exact plate I can put on the bottom but ti would be hard to drill exactly straight down to get that to line up.. It was sturdy with those dinky clamps so I am confident it will work fine.

Tech Guru

If you've never seen a cross section of IKEA furniture I must warn you they are made from next to nothing. It's like a cross hatch of particle board. Most pieces are not solid particle board all the way through. Think of a cardboard box. If you peel of the top layer you see the little bumps then another solid plane. Thats what most of their furniture is built like. It makes it light and cheap to produce.

That's not say that is how all their pieces are manufactured but I guarantee if a piece is more than 2 inches thick it is made this way.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    If you've never seen a cross section of IKEA furniture I must warn you they are made from next to nothing. It's like a cross hatch of particle board. Most pieces are not solid particle board all the way through. Think of a cardboard box. If you peel of the top layer you see the little bumps then another solid plane. Thats what most of their furniture is built like. It makes it light and cheap to produce.

That's not say that is how all their pieces are manufactured but I guarantee if a piece is more than 2 inches thick it is made this way.
    Yeah I am aware and it is unfortunate. It looks like my only option is to bolt through. I wish I did have a cross section of the top so i could see how far into the edge it is solid. That or I do something more involved to mount it which I'm not sure how I would do it.

Tech Guru

Not far in for solidness. You could bolt it straight through which should hold it. Hows the vibration coming down those poles? I have something similar but mine is made from a solid wood desk I used just threaded pipes and flanges to put up a single 4 ft wide shelf that houses 2 KRK8's and iMac. It's what I use at home but I get a little vibration coming through on my turntables.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think some industrial strength velcro on the bottom of the rockets would help to keep them from sliding. Just speculation though, if they get bumped they're coming down.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I think some industrial strength velcro on the bottom of the rockets would help to keep them from sliding. Just speculation though, if they get bumped they're coming down.
    even carpet underlay might work well, and its sound isolation will be a bit better, wont vibrate completely through the unit, i used to have this stuck to the bottom of my old bass amp since I was playing a gig and kicked it off stage due to there being no rubber feet on it.
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I saw a couple ideas for things hacked together from ikea parts but I don't really have a table saw or tools at my new place so I want something with minimal cutting.

Basically I need to fit two technics, s4 in flight case, mpk49, ipad, maybe an apc40, maschine, and 2 x1's (though some of those can stay stored away) and maybe some storage space for vinyl underneath but I have other spots for that too. I have monitor stands made of pipe I can bolt onto whatever I do.

So I would love to see some idea.
    I saw that you lived in south florida so ... go to hialeah find on of those shitty dollar stores and get some domino tables they work perfectly for me
    I Don't Wan To Go The Ocean ... Thers King Fish Out Derr Man

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    They don't slide at all. The KRKs have foam on the bottom and the metal top plate has foam on it. The top plate is from some floor monitor stands. The only way they are coming down is if they are pushed off deliberately. I would be more worried about the poll putting stress on the flimsy expedit top...

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    Not far in for solidness. You could bolt it straight through which should hold it. Hows the vibration coming down those poles? I have something similar but mine is made from a solid wood desk I used just threaded pipes and flanges to put up a single 4 ft wide shelf that houses 2 KRK8's and iMac. It's what I use at home but I get a little vibration coming through on my turntables.

I've never noticed any vibration. I run them through a sub on the floor which cuts the lows to the speakers out so I'm sure that helps.

UPDATE:

everything is rock solid, speakers are damn sturdy

Tech Mentor

Looks great!