The improvised DJ/production desk thread - Page 10
Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    could be small active speakers
    They're active, look at the power cords hanging down from them
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I would bolt rather than screw stuff to any of the Ikea options. This means you won't be able to use the hardware Ikea provides, but it wouldn't cats more than a few dollars to buy some bolts and washers instead.
    +1.

Tech Guru

Nice design!

he added the feet

Found an old table with cast iron fittings and removed the 2 legs. I then constructed the main box with Maple veneer and stained / distressed it a bit. I used #8 finishing screws and wood glue to hold the box together, and simply used the bolt pattern on the leg fittings to attach the legs to the box.
    I used aluminum rods / bolts screws to create a folding laptop stand.

The bar I made from cedar

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    he added the feet
    I think that's a bad move, just screwing those feet in. They'll have to lift up the entire thing to move it around. If you try to slide at all the screws will tear out of the wood. I know from personal experience with my entertainment center.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Gooch View Post
    I think that's a bad move, just screwing those feet in. They'll have to lift up the entire thing to move it around. If you try to slide at all the screws will tear out of the wood. I know from personal experience with my entertainment center.
    Yeah that's my concern and why I'm going to do it a little different. I'm going to build a frame from 2x4s in a U around the front and sides with maybe a support down the middle for it to sit on with the back open for room for my feet to fit under.

Wood unless there is a matching ikea part that would do the job but I dont think so. I guess I could cut down some shelves but I don't know.

Thinking about it, the design would probably work as I think those shelves are solid wood as I've got the single stack version of them at my old house. As you were :-) get out and build that bad boy it will work like a charm, and look the dogs!
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

wow long day... I got all the parts from ikea then the rest from running around to lowes and home depot.

Browsing around ikea I found some parts that allowed for some big improvements.

For the monitor stands I found something straight to use: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80184241/ I got bolts to bolt the other side through the expedit so I will be using those and a shorter main shelf. I got 4 of them in case I wanted to use two mounting plates on each one and do it like that since the mounting plate uses the same thread bolt as the foot, but I may return the two extras and just bolt through since it will look cleaner.

Now this is a big improvement, instead of using a bunch of individual legs that will snap off I found some metal frames with legs that will fit perfectly. Three of these along the bottom and it will double to secure the two expedits together on the bottom so I then will just put a few metal braces on the top and it should be rock solid, also will look a lot better.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/

The width is literally exact for two expedits.

Tech Convert

Just a thought here guys, Im a qualified cabinetmaker just wondering if any of you have considered taking a CAD drawing of your ideal dj workbench to a local joinery? These days most of these guys have CNC Flatbed borers, which will bore out all the pieces, drill screw pilot and dowel holes with accuracy measured in the 100ths of a millimetre, as well as much more choice and freedom when it comes to colour and size and design, and you can get it in a flatpack from them just like they do at ikea. I think you will find that you are getting jacked at ikea, not only will it most likely be dearer, it will also be of a far lower quality of parts than your local joinery, and at the very least they should give you a free quote on a flatpack.

The cheapest way would to get a flatpack cut out for you, made from mdf board (sometimes called 'craftwood') and assemble and paint it at home yourself. but customization wise, the skys the limit (if the moneys limitless of course), you could build a circular booth if you wanted, theres some really cool laminates out now as well, postformed benchtops, 2 pac paint, hell you could get granite if you really wanted, drawers, cupboards, secret compartments, you could get your decks and mixer inlaid into the top like ou see in some clubs, just a few ideas...

Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast