M-Audio Studiophile BX8a - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

after some thought today I think 8" could be too big for the room I'm in and I'm a bit wary of a possible excess in bass.

I could probably stretch for some rp5s or second-hand rp6s. I know the rp5s wouldn't have quite the bass frequency range of larger speakers but read some comments that they give a reasonable enough bass output, especially in smaller rooms? Also read a few comments that the rp6s can be a little muddy, especially in smaller rooms.

Is it true the rp5s are slightly tighter if lacking some responsiveness in low bass frequencies? I'm thinking I'll go for some new rp5s unless they're going to be useless for monitoring bass.

I'm mainly producing deep house and techno sounds. Translation onto other systems is important for me but I don't want to go for completely flat speakers as I'd like to be able to use them for general listening and I'm conscious of spending more (rp6s and up) because it's an untreated room and I would look to professional mastering for any tracks I feel worthy.

I guess it comes down to: do they give reasonable bass response or are they useless? I'm thinking for my (at this stage amatuerish) purposes they'll be sufficient

Tech Guru

I'm a little confused and very drunk but the RP6's would give resonable bass response. The ideal KRK setup that I have heard and read elsewhere is 2 RP6's and a KRK 10 sub. But the nice thing about this is that you can add a sub later.

I bought 2 jbl 6" monitors and they seemed fine without a sub so I saved the money.

The final thing that you should know is that no matter what monitors you purchase, you will need to train your ear to hear the tendencies of the speakers.

Basically the more systems you can reference your mix on the better. In my case I had a bass trap of a room this summer and didn't realize it until the day I moved out when I sneezed and heard the echo.

Causing a "of fuck" now I have to mixdown every song again.

Anyways, good luck.

Tech Mentor

I've read that too about the two RPs and an RP10. I'm just hoping RP5s will be enough, with the proviso, as you stated that my ears will have to adjust to any monitors.

Though just found some second-hand RP6s that would be cheaper..they're G1s but from what I've read there isn't too much difference. So maybe I'll shoot for those and stop questioning it.

Sorry to hear about your summer discovery, quite a pain, though better quality in the end.

Thanks and thanks for your advice

Mmmm... I'm tempted by the KRK 10s. I've got it as a saved search on ebay but they don't come up at anything other than full price very often. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet some time.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I've had my BX8As for nearly 2 years now, shipping them back and forth between NYC and LA and have never had any problems.
    I can vouch for them but have never heard the KRKs. For 300 I cannot imagine a big enough difference to take the KRKs...
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

Tech Mentor

Good to know the reliability problems aren't affecting everyone. At a 300 price difference I probably wouldn't but have found some second hand rp6s I might be able to get for about the same price as the BX8as would have cost me so think I'll pursue that.

They're G1 RP6s but what I've read suggests there isn't too much difference between G1 and G2. Seemed the main change was a widening of the sweet spot

I've also been debating on the 8s as well for mostly production, the price is right and as much as I would love to splash the cash on KRKs I think my budget studio would benefit from some 8s.
    Look at me! I'm on the internet!

I used the Bx5as for several years and upgraded to KRK 6s when Guitar cetner was selling them for $90 each. The difference was very significant. While some of that can be attributed to the slightly larger size, the KRK's sound significantly better all around. The bass is also much more present in the KRKs. Neither speaker is going to give you much below 80Hz but nothing that size will without a subwoofer. But the M-Audios had almost nothing in the low end. I was happy about it when I bought them because I lived in a lot closer proximity to neighbors than I do now, and the Bx5as probably saved me from waking them up every night. But if you're looking for strong bass response I wouldn't recommend anything from M-Audio.

It's possible the 8s are much better in this light though.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

people seem to have mixed responses to the Bx8a's but probably fine if there's a significant price difference. Having to get a DI box on top is a bit of a pain too. Because I want something that will be good for general listening too, think I'll splurge on some rp6s..won't be second guessing them as much then either

Just to add to your dilema
    Most monitor in 5'' won't give you "enough bass" but that is easily balanced by the fact that after spending time listening to music thru them, you'll know how the mastered music is suposed to sound. And "enough bass" is very subjective, i have rp5g2 and find them perfect for my needs and the bass is kicking !!
    8'' are great if not overkill for some homestudio, and usually people aim in the middle for some 6'', anyway you can always add a sub later if you want more bass, because output wise, even 5'' are enough and plenty loud (maybe not for a 70 people house party, but i wouldn't put my monitors on the line for that ).
    Between rpXg1 and rpXg2 they did change stuff, but i got the feeling looking online that it was mostly on the 5'' that in the g1 serie were a bit lacking.
    I heard some Bx5a's and the sound sure is an improvement from a home stereo, they sounded nice and had a nice stereo field (so i'm sure the 8'' are also quite nice, if not a bit too much flattering). It's the only thing on my krk that i can feel is lacking a bit, they are very directional, so the stereo field is not as wide.

Also consider that to get the best out of the monitors you will buy, you will need to set them up at your ears level, literally the tweeters pointing at your ears. So that means investing a bit more for a cheap but great thing to have :

something like this http://www.thomann.de/es/millenium_bs500_set.htm

This way you can have them at ears level when you sit at your desk and also when you stand to dj.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast