Pioneer new controller! - Page 11
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

sweet. more of the same old shit. way to push the envelope pioneer

lol I think pioneer does this to keep the demand for it's CDJ's up.

Pioneer needs to remember that they are a software company too. And I'll probably get shit for this but

Pioneer makes hardware, but what they are really selling is software. Their hardware is certainly top notch but the software in their hardware is what really makes everything hum, from their digital effects, advanced seek and play controls, to their touchscreen inputs and features like frequency mixing. Just like apple - pioneer is selling software - bundled in very specific hardware. The whole point of buying pio shit is getting the whole bundle. Take one of the parts away (like say I could buy an apple computer that ran windows or a regular old PC that runs mac OS) it is far less interesting.

So when they release these controllers they have no control over the software. The software becomes the weak link and their build quality and hardware innovation (or lack thereof) is exposed. Pioneer should stay way away from the controller market until they can either integrate seamlessly with serato and traktor with the same feel you get from CDJ's - or until they can come up with their own serious contender in PC/Mac software. Otherwise - I say stick to what you do best.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    b) looks like its a 500-700 dollar unit with looks that could very well put it inside apple stores for sale. which would be huge (and annoying for us old schoolers with the influx of another rush of newbies to our little community =p)
    Even though i am a newbie myself. Imagine if companies like apple started making dj products... we would be doomed! I can just imagine little kids going "i want be the next tiesto" & they would all act like pauly d and make up wack dj names ....eugh! lets hope djing doesn't go too mainstream
    | 13" Macbook Pro | Novation Twitch | Kontrol X1 | Bose QuietComfort 15 Headphones | Traktor Pro 2 | Serato Itch |

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleG View Post
    Even though i am a newbie myself. Imagine if companies like apple started making dj products... we would be doomed! I can just imagine little kids going "i want be the next tiesto" & they would all act like pauly d and make up wack dj names ....eugh! lets hope djing doesn't go too mainstream
    Look around you mate, that is already happening (and always did to a certain degree with other formats but with a higher price tag). It happens with music production as well, the result? Raise the quality bar to stand out.

Tech Convert

I am no fan of pioneer but I'm truly surprised how prejudiced people can be.

I recently posted the following message on djforums, in a thread regarding the steep price drop of the DDJ-S1 and DDJ-T1:

I actually love it that pioneer is paying dearly for their arrogance.
    they surely thought that they would dominate the MIDI controller market just by launching two outrageously expensive, and not innovative at all, controllers. it seems that they're reaching out to a target group way more open minded than they ever expected. and I'm actually glad that DJs are starting to get rid of the "industry standard" norm which is nothing more that a well played (and obviously well promoted) marketing campaign.

but you guys managed to prove me absolutely wrong about the open mindedness.... over 50% of the posters in this thread are convinced that a controller is totally crap, just by watching a one-minute teaser video... wow

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by leonidassr View Post
    I actually love it that pioneer is paying dearly for their arrogance.
    they surely thought that they would dominate the MIDI controller market just by launching two outrageously expensive, and not innovative at all, controllers. it seems that they're reaching out to a target group way more open minded than they ever expected. and I'm actually glad that DJs are starting to get rid of the "industry standard" norm which is nothing more that a well played (and obviously well promoted) marketing campaign.

but you guys managed to prove me absolutely wrong about the open mindedness.... over 50% of the posters in this thread are convinced that a controller is totally crap, just by watching a one-minute teaser video... wow

So you just contradicted yourself on judging the controller.... AND attacked pretty much everyone involved with both creating it, AND discussing it. rough haha.

I agree though, pioneer should pay for their arrogance... And I'm really glad we're getting away from this old dogmatic "industry standard" bullshit. It's all just marketing. Technology has gotten to the point where it does not make sense to consider something "industry standard" any more. There's too much specialization in digital DJing for that to exist.

Almost 100% of the time, the DJ's that only talk about "build quality" and the "quality of the faders/knobs/buttons" Are just traditional DJs transitioning between tracks, who are about the go extict. Ignore them. We're the future, they're dying.

The issues that people who MATTER seem to be having with this controller are just that it doesn't lend itself to very innovative mappings or control... The quality isn't the issue, it's the layout/design being old and tired and not very expressive.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleG View Post
    ....eugh! lets hope djing doesn't go too mainstream
    Wanna push up your horn rimmed's and adjust your scarf, then say that again?
    Last edited by vox5505; 09-03-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vox5505 View Post
    The issues that people who MATTER seem to be having with this controller are just that it doesn't lend itself to very innovative mappings or control... The quality isn't the issue, it's the layout/design being old and tired and not very expressive.
    but the market they are obviously aiming for is someone who wants a simple 2 channel midi controller, they didn't try to want to make something particularly innovative (i suspect). exact same reason NI released the S2. that's probably the biggest market to go after.

as someone else already said, i'm also pleased pio have made this as it kind of vindicates the fact that midi controllers are here to stay. that can only be a good thing.

personally i think this controller might be interesting in it's own ways, same as the S2. i'd rather leave final judgement until someone has actually played on one and ideally experimented with the midi implementation a bit.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

God damn I hope it's not glossy. I hate fingerprints.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    God damn I hope it's not glossy. I hate fingerprints.
    yup... i love things that are glossy right up until i actually need to touch them for something. no clue why any dj equipment would have a glossy surface...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

There's this now, not sure if it's new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Df1l...ayer_embedded#!

Edit: This is boring and the exact same as the friggen VCI's, I won't be buying this product.
    Last edited by tyfurious; 09-03-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast