Need help picking between two setups!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Need help picking between two setups!

Hey, i'm relatively new to the whole scene of music production. I've gotten myself ableton and am now considering gear. I plan on making remixes/electronica genre music.

Set-up#1:
    Akai APC40
    M-Audio Oxygen 8

Set-up#2:
    Novation Launchpad
    Korg nanoKontrol
    M-Audio Oxygen 8

With the second set-up i might even consider two launchpads (price would end up being about equal with the first set up then) are two launchpads worth it? I just need to be guided in the right direction between the two set ups, thanks

APC stands for Ableton Performance Controller, by the way. If you're not going to perform these live via Ableton, you should go with the LP/nanoKontrol. Otherwise, the APC40 brings all of the buttons, knobs, and faders in one controller. Just my recommendations, though. ;D
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote Originally Posted by skappy7 View Post
    With the second set-up i might even consider two launchpads (price would end up being about equal with the first set up then) are two launchpads worth it? I just need to be guided in the right direction between the two set ups, thanks
    hell yes - having two launchpads would be awesome. i'll be picking up a second lp (as well as 2nd lpd8) at some point.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

The second one! Add a second launchpad, drop the nano control and add an LPD8. If I had the $$$ to spend, that's what I would go for. I love my launchpad. So slim and stylish.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    The second one! Add a second launchpad, drop the nano control and add an LPD8. If I had the $$$ to spend, that's what I would go for. I love my launchpad. So slim and stylish.
    the lpd8 is very cool - tho if thats the only pots u have then can be limitting. 8 give you full control of eq's and levels for 2 decks tho - and you can use the launchpad(s) for more instant-grat type effect control.

i have found that virtual faders ableton-live style works fine for effects tho on the lp but i'm not keen on those for levels etc.

only thing u can't really use lp virtual faders for is something like a filter where you just want to tweak around the sweet spot as you dont have fine enough control for that.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    only thing u can't really use lp virtual faders for is something like a filter where you just want to tweak around the sweet spot as you dont have fine enough control for that.
    You can do this with Automap or having increase/decrease buttons. But those wouldn't be virtual faders any more. :U
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tech Convert

Thanks for the help everyone, I also meant to say an oxygen 49, not 8. that or a yamaha psr e323. The reviews/opinions on this are so mixed in regards to an apc40 and launchpad

The launchpad is gonna be your best bet for production. If you were running a live set for performance, I'd say get the APC40, but it's big and heavy and the Launchpad is much smaller with just as much useability for production. You just have to know how to use it well. I can do everything that my friend who has an apc40 can do with my Axiom Pro 49 and Launchpad. The combo of a keyboard with faders/pots and the launchpad can't go wrong.
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

Tech Convert

See, now i heard the opposite, that apc40 is for production, and launchpad is for live. haha

Quote Originally Posted by skappy7 View Post
    See, now i heard the opposite, that apc40 is for production, and launchpad is for live. haha
    i'd have to agree. the apc40 is too big and bulky. makes much more sense in the studio. the launchpad is much easier to wack in your bag and setup somewhere else.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast