Need help picking between two setups! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Apc40 is too big and bulky.
    I laugh when I see peeps saying too big, it fits fine in my "tech air" 15' messenger bag alongside my Macbook, soundcard, few external Hard drives, and stand.

Hardly that bulky definetly smaller than an S4

If Size is really an Issue, what about a Zero SLII as part of the setup?, its a pretty good bang for buck controller.

The APC40 is very "comfortable" to use, with the amount of free surrounding space, given the choice I'd get a VCM600 though for everything moreso at my fingertips (eq's gains etc...).

Comfort playing over comfort transporting every time for me
    Last edited by deevey; 08-29-2011 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I laugh when I see peeps saying too big, it fits fine in my "tech air" 15' messenger bag alongside my Macbook, soundcard, few external Hard drives, and stand.

Hardly that bulky definetly smaller than an S4
    most things don't seem bulky compared to the mahoosive S4

if it was the only controller you needed to take with you (which is possible with all the controls) then i guess it's not so bad. just is big compared to the launchpad if the pads are the main aim of the game. the apc40 is still pretty bloated tho - i'm sure they could have made it a bit smaller.

If Size is really an Issue, what about a Zero SLII as part of the setup?, its a pretty good bang for buck controller.
    the sl2 does seem quite cool, not really sure why it's not more popular here. 199$ seems pretty good. maybe just not flexible enough - seems more suited to something like ableton or other DAW's?

ofc u could get 2 launchpads for the price of one apc40 so all depends on what the users priorities are.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

seems more suited to something like ableton or other DAW's?
    I actually thought thats what the OP was after seeing as he's included an Oxygen 8 in both setups?

For portability and flexibility though and on the SL2 Tip (no pun I swear)
    What about a regular SL mkII ?

It probably has ample flexibility ? 9 encoders, 8 Knobs, 8 pads, 8 faders, keyboard, 32 buttons and joystick.... and touch sensitive controls.

Nice setup

Maybe add a launchpad for even more toys ?

$320 seems like a steal if you need a keyboard anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I actually thought thats what the OP was after seeing as he's included an Oxygen 8 in both setups?

For portability and flexibility though and on the SL2 Tip (no pun I swear)
    What about a regular SL mkII ?

It probably has ample flexibility ? 9 encoders, 8 Knobs, 8 pads, 8 faders, keyboard, 32 buttons and joystick.... and touch sensitive controls.

Nice setup

Maybe add a launchpad for even more toys ?

$320 seems like a steal if you need a keyboard anyhow

one of those plus a launchpad would make for an awesome production combo

and yep, my bad, the OP mentioned he had got ableton
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Mentor

I use an mk1 25. Love it with my lp. The extra lcd is really nice but the drum pads are total shite on the mk1. I don't really use them though so the 150 I saved not getting the mk2 was worth.

Also, you can't beat the aurex sequencers for the lp

Quote Originally Posted by muffintop View Post
    I use an mk1 25. Love it with my lp. The extra lcd is really nice but the drum pads are total shite on the mk1. I don't really use them though so the 150 I saved not getting the mk2 was worth.

Also, you can't beat the aurex sequencers for the lp
    also i think the mk1 is missing midi led feedback? which is my biggest gripe about my icon idj.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the help everyone. I've looked at the mk2 and the sl mk2, they look fantastic. only problem i could see is that I would much rather prefer using the knobs with my right hand, and sliders with the left. I've heard an apc40 is easier to use in ableton than a launchpad due to ease of setup, all in one, etc. is however twice the price:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by skappy7 View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. I've looked at the mk2 and the sl mk2, they look fantastic. only problem i could see is that I would much rather prefer using the knobs with my right hand, and sliders with the left. I've heard an apc40 is easier to use in ableton than a launchpad due to ease of setup, all in one, etc. is however twice the price:eek:
    there's nothing tricky about setting up a launchpad to work in ableton - worked right away when i first tried it with the live8le that it came with

Tech Convert

Last question i promise, is there a purpose to getting an oxygen 49 ($139) vs an lpk25 ($50)? I realize that the oxygen has knobs and sliders, but i'd be getting something with knobs and sliders anyway. I'm not much of a piano player, i'd be using it to play a few notes or a short beat. do they have octave switches on them to go lower? Sorry again, I've done a lot of research and there were some questions i couldn't have answered. Thanks again for all of your help!

Quote Originally Posted by skappy7 View Post
    Last question i promise, is there a purpose to getting an oxygen 49 ($139) vs an lpk25 ($50)? I realize that the oxygen has knobs and sliders, but i'd be getting something with knobs and sliders anyway. I'm not much of a piano player, i'd be using it to play a few notes or a short beat. do they have octave switches on them to go lower? Sorry again, I've done a lot of research and there were some questions i couldn't have answered. Thanks again for all of your help!
    most of the time the 2 octaves will be fine. i only have a nanokey who's keys are shite (and i wish i'd gone for the lpk25) but most of the times the 2 octaves is fine.

so i'd say it's more about whether u want/need the extra controls or not, and sounds like you won't.

a 3 octave keyboard would be pretty handy but i doubt you'll be using the full 4 octave range too much.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast