TouchOSC IP help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TouchOSC IP help

I'm really having a hard time understanding this, all I'm trying to do is get my Ipod Touch running TouchOSC to just communicate with Traktor Pro 2. Here's the setup:

Ipod Touch -> TouchOSC -> a simple test map I made -> *WiFi* -> Windows 64bit -> Pure Data Extended -> Midi Yoke 1 -> Traktor Pro 2

Now I think my problem is with the WiFi in all honesty, so this should be a generally simple fix I would assume. In TouchOSC, under Connections, I don't know what my Host IP is, and I think that is the only issue. However, I've gone to severally different "what's my IP address" sites and a majority of them gave me different IP Addresses for my computer, so I went to command prompt and ran IPconfig, but even that gave me a whole mess of data, where there are several different IP addresses. which one do I use? IPv4, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Link-local IPv6 Address, should I look under the Wireless LAN adapter options considering I'm on a laptop and connected wirelessly using that? I really am not sure what I use :x

quick update, I'm attempting to use RTP Midi Right now, but I still don't think my Ipod is connected to my computer right now. on a side note, for whatever reason the connection keeps dropping after about a few minutes of connecting my directory.

i hate bumping threads, especially three posts in a row, but really guys does anyone have any suggestions for me? cuz i'd reaally like to know

Tech Mentor

Setup an Adhoc network for the connection (google will show you how).
    Ditch PureData and MidiYolk, you don't need them anymore (since v 1.7 of TouchOSC it supports core midi now).
    Create a TouchOSC layout/template using the TouchOSC Editor and make sure you assign midi to each control.
    Sync the iPod with TouchOSC editor to upload the template.
    Add a connection to RTPmidi following the instructions on their site.
    Open Traktor controller manager and assign the midi in and out ports for the iPod as RTPmidi in and out.
    Create a TSI for the layout/template using the controller manager.
    Enjoy

quick update, I'm attempting to use RTP Midi Right now, but I still don't think my Ipod is connected to my computer right now. on a side note, for whatever reason the connection keeps dropping after about a few minutes of connecting my directory.
    That's only a guess but you should make sure your wifi channel stays the same instead your system choosing what's supposed to be the less populated (in other words check your wifi settings: ie nothing related here to touch osc, I'm really talking about your internet connection). At least it's worth having a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Setup an Adhoc network for the connection (google will show you how).
    Ditch PureData and MidiYolk, you don't need them anymore (since v 1.7 of TouchOSC it supports core midi now).
    Create a TouchOSC layout/template using the TouchOSC Editor and make sure you assign midi to each control.
    Sync the iPod with TouchOSC editor to upload the template.
    Add a connection to RTPmidi following the instructions on their site.
    Open Traktor controller manager and assign the midi in and out ports for the iPod as RTPmidi in and out.
    Create a TSI for the layout/template using the controller manager.
    Enjoy
    So i made an Adhoc and its working well, but I'm on a college campus wireless server right now, so will this pretty much mean I won't have internet because I made one using my computer that has no control over the internet providers. secondly, when I go to TouchOSC, the local IP address change to something more reasonable, but I still do not know wwhat to type in the Hostname/IP address, is it the same thing?

I'll keep editing this post if i have more questions, gunna keep trying to figure out how this works in the meantime though

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chaomocha View Post
    So i made an Adhoc and its working well, but I'm on a college campus wireless server right now, so will this pretty much mean I won't have internet because I made one using my computer that has no control over the internet providers. secondly, when I go to TouchOSC, the local IP address change to something more reasonable, but I still do not know wwhat to type in the Hostname/IP address, is it the same thing?

I'll keep editing this post if i have more questions, gunna keep trying to figure out how this works in the meantime though
    You need to put your computer's IP adress. You can also just use the Host's identifier. In my case it's set to MBPdy.local on a password protected AdHoc network.

The only way to get internet back while using an adhoc is by plugging in an ethernet cable to your laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    You need to put your computer's IP adress. You can also just use the Host's identifier. In my case it's set to MBPdy.local on a password protected AdHoc network.

The only way to get internet back while using an adhoc is by plugging in an ethernet cable to your laptop.
    see the host identifier isn't doing anything for me, I have my computer set to my adhoc network, my ipod touch set to that, and in the touchOSC app im in OSC connections and it says it's loading something but nothing is coming up. pretty much it continues to not be able to find a host and its really frustrating because I'd do it manually but I don't know what to type in.

Tech Mentor

1) Create an ad-hoc network. This means that your computer is now essentially a router and yes you will not have internet unless your computer is connected via ethernet. Also the ad-hoc network will not be internet enabled even if your computer is connected to the internet via ethernet unless you bridge the networks. (I Don't recommend bridging them).

2) Join your ipod touch to the ad-hoc network created by your laptop.

3) Find your laptop's IP address on the wireless interface. Enter that into touchosc.

You should now be able to connect if the wifi area was your problem and you have all the other bits setup correctly.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

If you are running Windows go to the Start Menu, Run and type CMD. Once the new window shows type IPCONFIG and your IP adress should show.

If you are running OS X click on your WIFI icon in the menubar, Open Network Preferences and your IP adress should show in "Status".

You don't want to rely on an external WIFI connection while performing with TouchOSC, you will surely encounter latency issues and have no certainty on the connection's reliability, not to mention security issues if it's an open network. Play safe with AdHoc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast