How-To: MPK mini Pad Mod - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

i use it for effects in traktor. and before i would have to press the pads down with a large amount of force for recognition but after this i have to just touch them. i used duct tape though, so i think thats why they are so sensitive. but im very satisfied. you should submit this to DJTT and see if they can make it a tutorial for the front page.
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ranzerox View Post
    you should submit this to DJTT and see if they can make it a tutorial for the front page.
    +1

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ranzerox View Post
    you should submit this to DJTT and see if they can make it a tutorial for the front page.
    I've already sent the suggestion to the appropriate editor.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Wow, I'm flattered :-) never done anything like this before *blushes*

I almost suggested masking tape as well, btw, but didn't try it so didn't want to mess anybody up. Duct tape would leave goop I would think, but maybe not.

Your tape must not have been *that* thick, though, because when I accidentally doubled up (as seen in a couple pics) my pads stuck 'on' so I don't think there's that much wiggle room!

the duct tape i have is thick but its sticky part isnt goopy. i suppose it isnt duct tape but its silver and wide so its close enough, and its a little thicker than electrical tape. i think i may have had a larger gap on my lpd, it was like trying to use a brick wall as the pad. seriously had to use alot of force to engage them
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

Tech Mentor

I should have made a little video of the action before and after the mod - oh well, I'm not taking it apart again!!! lol.

And like I said before, I've never used pads before so all I knew was that when I drum my fingers on my desk i never have to hit my desk that hard =D

I've done this to my LPD8 like ranzerox using electric tape. I would've used some masking tape, but the only roll I have is covered in dust. :<

Also, just to test how much this mod would do, I tried putting a bottle of glue on the pads before and after. The pads were noticeably more responsive after. So thanks.

Edit: Like it was stated before, the LPD8 isn't very different from the MPK mini. It really is the MPK mini without a keyboard. :|

Pads look the same on the underside as the MPK mini, if you're wondering.
    Last edited by Onimode; 08-19-2011 at 04:33 AM.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tech Mentor

Thanks for sharing that - I was wondering what the backplate of the LPD looked like compared to the double plate idea in the mini.

By the way, the reason I mentioned masking tape is this: press and hold one of your pads down and "massage" it a bit - does it 'creak'? I can feel the electrical tape rubbing inside mine against ... whatever it's touching... (Sometimes my fingers roll on held pads when I'm grooving - can't help it cue juggling, etc)

Also, I'm thinking of trading my mini for a couple LPDs actually now... We'll see. Having a LOT of trouble with the AKAI editing program :-/ it's more than half way retarded imo...

The electric tape made the pads feel solid. More resistance, yo! Anyway, I'm going to look for a cleaner roll of masking tape and try that out.

Edit: I've used the LPD8 editor to have every program send the same notes and CC messages over different channels. If you're really going to go for multiple LPDs, the MPD26 or MPD32 look like better solutions. They both have MIDI ports, and the MPD32 has jacks for footswitches!

Edit #2:

Done. Not much difference from the electric tape concerning the feel. The pads are a bit squishier with the masking tape. Although I like this feel more, the pads were more responsive with the electric tape.
    Last edited by Onimode; 08-20-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tech Mentor

Maybe double up on the masking tape (I would do some pads with electrical tape, some with masking, and some with double masking, then compare)

I have noticed that while all my pads are the same, one sticks (the one that was stuck with the sloppy tape job in the pics) If I hit that hard and hold it down (for playing a cue) it sticks sometimes (not good when trying to work with cues!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast