looks like video is coming to traktor - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'll leave the videos to the visual staff
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Mentor

I had no idea that Serato had a video player plug-in. woot!

Tech Convert

As soon as my eyes sent a signal to my brain to register the words Traktor and video in the same title in instantly clicked this thread. All of that brain power to be disappointed, whomp whomp.

+1 for leaving video as a paid plugin.

I prefer to focus on the music and leave video up to the visualists.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Video and Lights should be controlled by a dedicated VJ and/or Lighting Jockey.

Most Dj's do NOT have the visual creativity needed to put on a good show with video or spend the time prepping a video show... sorry but its a fact.

I VJ and I DJ, I've done both at the same time and you lose concentration on one thing over the other every time if you are being anyway involved with the music.

Fair enough if your just going to play chart songs and want the videos for them displayed too, really REALLY tacky IMHO though.
    I think the idea was shown in that video, you assign a sound to a certain visual effect/polygon/video clip before the set, and let traktor do the work while you fire off samples, cues, etc

Quote Originally Posted by lexion610 View Post
    I think the idea was shown in that video, you assign a sound to a certain visual effect/polygon/video clip before the set, and let traktor do the work while you fire off samples, cues, etc
    Still not as efficient. Switching from one video to another per deck could be obnoxious.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

I always have held the idea that NI never really have taught about adding video to Traktor. Just think if you look at Traktor now the Gui would need a major over hall to allow the use of video. I think video is a long way off and i believe most Traktor users dont want video. Personally if i needed to VDJ id switch to Video sl because it has a proven Track record and has been threw a couple of years of tweaking and updates.

+1 on it being a paid update
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Video is a "big deal" for a small subset of overall DJs. Here's hoping that if they are indeed adding video, that they do it as a plug-in so those of us that aren't interested in it can avoid it completely.

Also, although I haven't tried it, I'm betting it wouldn't be too hard to drive parameters in an app like Resolume with MIDI feedback messages from Traktor - which would allow things like parameter changes to have the look of video integration.

I've done it; the problem it has are

1)You can't run it on your computer (unless you have a super monster laptop; i tried with my 2.4ghz and 2gb ram and the audio clips, it gets too bloated)

2)tempo is not 100% right always

3)If you send the midi clock and some midi signals to a vj, I supoose you get more latency between traktor and resolume

4) you can't scratch videos!

Eventually, there will be video for traktor, they have to add that, and it will be great.

Tech Guru

I'm not talking about mixing music videos. If you want to do that, you need to use the right software (SSL with video or VirtualDJ most likely).

But if you wanted to have what the DJ is doing effect the visuals the VJ is putting on screen, I'm guessing this could be done without much fuss. The tiny bit of latency you'd get (a few ms at most) wouldn't be an issue because we don't process visual information in the same way as we process aural info. And that's assuming you're working with an external VJ. If you're using a virtual MIDI port and running Resolume on the same box, it would probably be pretty tight.

On running both things on the same box, I'm pretty sure my laptop could handle it just fine, but let me ask you. If you're so fired up to have video in Traktor, and you've said that you can run both apps on your own computer, don't you think you're going to be in a tough spot if NI do incorporate video into Traktor?

As far as scratching videos goes, you have fun with that. I don't think ANY of the music I play has an associated video. MTV doesn't even play music videos anymore.

I don't think most of you guys (saying leave the video to the VJ's/visual guys) understand the video plugin concept. It's not there for eye candy visuals. This is geared towards (for the most part) jocks that want to play videos that correspond to the tracks they are playing. Not so much for the random disposable dance track.
    An example is an 80's weekly I used to go to on mondays in Tampa. Monk, from Rabbit In the Moon VJ'd all old school 80's videos. From Fat boys and Run DMC, to Prince and others. The bar had TV's going across every wall every few feet, and every one of them was playing what he was spinning on his Pioneer DVJ1000's. It was pretty sick with the cutting and scratching.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast