Which controllers with motorized platter does Traktor support? - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Still I don't like the idea of discarding the other two bytes without knowing what they mean.
    3 bytes. E0 ** **. It MIGHT be that the E0 message itself doesn't mean anything, but Itch looks for the presence of the message and it's timestamp. The reason I think that might be the case is because I would expect that the number of ticks per rotation would be the same no matter how fast the platter was turned. That's obviously not the case with the B0 message.

Now filter out the B0 message and do the same thing again. Is the count more consistent, giving roughly 3000 counts per single revolution? Don't look at the content of the message, only for the PRESENCE of a message.

Tech Guru

Thought of something else...

Look at the logs of the B0 message that you took. Does the last byte "skip" values when the platter moves very fast? This would indicate that the 2 messages work together - one (B0) would provide a kind of platter positioning message that would be used for fine movements, and the other (E0) would be a more traditional relative type message, where it's ticking every count of resolution. The last byte of the E0 message wouldn't need to indicate platter direction (as it would do in a typical binary offset message) because the B0 message is (I assume) handling that functionality.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Interesting ideas.
    We'll have to wait one week to see how it turns out as I'm on a vacation.

I'll report back results next Sunday or the Monday after.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Mudo

Nice work, here we are reading and dealing with a VCI300 + ITCH and some similarities or coincidences.

We will try to upload a video and info/thought soon.

Cheers!

I'm back on the track.

Thought of something else...

Look at the logs of the B0 message that you took. Does the last byte "skip" values when the platter moves very fast? This would indicate that the 2 messages work together - one (B0) would provide a kind of platter positioning message that would be used for fine movements, and the other (E0) would be a more traditional relative type message, where it's ticking every count of resolution. The last byte of the E0 message wouldn't need to indicate platter direction (as it would do in a typical binary offset message) because the B0 message is (I assume) handling that functionality.
    Yeah it skips sometimes a value when moving it very fast (e.g. 62,63,64,65,67,68,69...).

Tech Guru

He's back! Hope vacation was great.

Tech Guru

Mudo, I see 2 problems with your above solution.

First one is that since the VCI-300 wheel sends messaging at a specific resolution, it's likely that the probably higher resolution of messaging from the turntable is causing that insane speed up in the video. You need something in between the Tascam and the VCI-300 to throttle messages down to a point where playback is normal.

Second, I'm not sure that Itch audio playback will run smoothly when in full time "scratch mode" engaged. Obviously, what you did here is engage the scratch note on message to put the platter into scratch mode, then you're running the platter in real time. I've never tried this, but I would expect that this would impact several areas of the workflow (song loading, etc). Maybe I'm wrong here, because Itch does already support a moving platter controller...

Mudo

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    First one is that since the VCI-300 wheel sends messaging at a specific resolution, it's likely that the probably higher resolution of messaging from the turntable is causing that insane speed up in the video. You need something in between the Tascam and the VCI-300 to throttle messages down to a point where playback is normal.
    From the blog entry...
    Proposed Solutions.
    As a result of these inconvenience we propose two possible workarounds to fix the problem.
    The first and “dirty” solution will be simple as create a “homemade” version of TTM-1 with the original VCI300 encoder (maybe a spare repair part?) and connect it when you need the turntable control.
    The second (and smart) solution will be implement a microcontroller between the TTM-1 and VCI300 making the interpolation from the TTM-1 values into VCI300 expected ones to “resize” the scale and fit the response. Another approach could involve a “smaller” turntable (scaling the angular speed) but we must do some test on this path before extract conclusions. In other hand our goal is create a “standard system” which could work with immortal technics 1210 mk turntables and making smaller the turntable will be “another” thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Second, I'm not sure that Itch audio playback will run smoothly when in full time "scratch mode" engaged. Obviously, what you did here is engage the scratch note on message to put the platter into scratch mode, then you're running the platter in real time. I've never tried this, but I would expect that this would impact several areas of the workflow (song loading, etc). Maybe I'm wrong here, because Itch does already support a moving platter controller...
    Again from the blog entry...
    So, for the next attempt we will try to attach TTM-1 into Scratch Decoder kit and control dj software with regular turntable.

Of course, this is only another proof of concept but the best idea is to do it from zero and continue working on the ideas that we are discussing.

The point are:
    This is open source, anyone could improve or adapt the code/hacks.
    This works against planned obsolescency. We want to "adapt" the actual gear or make a "standarized" solution... of course, giving choice to the user instead of "thinking for them".
    This is (maybe) only for freaks. Who knows? Who cares? I'm not doing it for the money, it is more about don't lose years of concept designing and researching work (not only on the hardware, I'm talking in digital djing in general) because I'm leaving the game. I lost my macbook, my resources are few and I want to continue walking in other projects and giving the chance for others and focus in other living areas.

My new set up haven't laptop or circular surface for media control. I'm selling the vci too.

Back in topic...
    Norbert is working in adapt the code into a new microcontroller leaving arduino and its fdti. When he has something I will back, meanwhile if I could help, I will be checking this tread every time I can.

Thanks to all for your inspirational working, guys.
    -m!

We are talking about two topics here but keep going!

For the NS7/V7 platter data

The second byte is a regular delta-time value. I just have to figure out the details and then should be able to transform all platter data as it was coming from a non-motorized platter (like the VCI-300).

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast