Help mapping ACP40 with Traktor pro 2

Default Help mapping APC40 with Traktor pro 2

I am mapping my APC40 with Traktor pro 2(which of course I will share once completed) but I am having some issue to map the EQ Knobs and I hope someone could help me.

I’ve tried different setting but I didn’t quite get the result I expected, what happens is thant I have a Modifier so I will use the same knob for different functions. Let’s take as example the first knob on the top which sends CC48 on Ch01 and I want to assign to EQ High Deck A when M1=0 and assign to Sample Volume on Sample Deck 3 Slot 1 when M1=1 and assign to Slot Filter on Sample Deck 3 Slot 1 when M1=2. So let me try to explain what I have done so far. Note, in all of the following scenarios the Sample Volume and Slot Filter work just fine, the issue is only with EQ.

1st scenario:
    EQ High IN assign to Ch01 CC48 - Type of Control: Fader/Knob – Interaction Mode: Direct.
    EQ High OUT assign to Ch01 CC48 – Control Range: 0.000000 to 1.000000 – Midi Range: 0 to 127 – Blend.
    EQ High OUT assign to Ch01 CC56 – Control Range: 0.000000 to 1.000000 – Midi Range: 3 to 3 – Blend.
    Result: LED feedback work fine when change modifier, EQ work fine if turn the knob rapidly but when knob is on 12 o’clock and I move it slowly it just don’t change anything (not the virtual knob nor the LED).

2nd scenario:
    EQ High IN assign to Ch01 CC48 - Type of Control: Fader/Knob – Interaction Mode: Relative.
    EQ High OUT assign to Ch01 CC48 – Control Range: 0.000000 to 1.000000 – Midi Range: 0 to 127 – Blend.
    EQ High OUT assign to Ch01 CC56 – Control Range: 0.000000 to 1.000000 – Midi Range: 3 to 3 – Blend.
    Result: Woks fine even moving slowly and also on transitions between modifiers but time to time it just jumps all the way to the right or if I move to the right it change little bit to the left and then to the right (doesn’t happens all the time, but quite often).

3rd scenario:
    EQ High IN assign to Ch01 CC48 - Type of Control: Fader/Knob – Interaction Mode: Direct.
    Not assigning any OUT to Ch01 CC48.
    Result: Works perfectly not jumps or funny behavior but when I change between modifiers it do not update the LED so I have to use the soft takeover which also works correct, but that is not the behavior you would expect from an endless knob. Also the LED will behave in the same knob mode as the previous selected. E.G.: I select Slot Filter then EQ High the LED will be centered on 12 o’clock, but if I have selected Slot Volume then EQ High the LED will act as volume (not centered, increasing from left to right).

Any idea on how to fix it would be very much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Last edited by and_leite; 09-11-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by and_leite View Post
    I am mapping my APC40 with Traktor pro 2(which of course I will share once completed) but I am having some issue to map the EQ Knobs and I hope someone could help me.

I’ve tried different setting but I didn’t quite get the result I expected, what happens is thant I have a Modifier so I will use the same knob for different functions. Let’s take as example the first knob on the top which sends CC48 on Ch01 and I want to assign to EQ High Deck A when M1=0 and assign to Sample Volume on Sample Deck 3 Slot 1 when M1=1 and assign to Slot Filter on Sample Deck 3 Slot 1 when M1=2. So let me try to explain what I have done so far. Note, in all of the following scenarios the Sample Volume and Slot Filter work just fine, the issue is only with EQ.

1st scenario:
    Result: LED feedback work fine when change modifier, EQ work fine if turn the knob rapidly but when knob is on 12 o’clock and I move it slowly it just don’t change anything (not the virtual knob nor the LED).

2nd scenario:
    EQ High IN assign to Ch01 CC48 - Type of Control: Fader/Knob – Interaction Mode: Relative.
    Result: Woks fine even moving slowly and also on transitions between modifiers but time to time it just jumps all the way to the right or if I move to the right it change little bit to the left and then to the right (doesn’t happens all the time, but quite often).

3rd scenario:
    Not assigning any OUT to Ch01 CC48.
    Result: Works perfectly not jumps or funny behavior but when I change between modifiers it do not update the LED so I have to use the soft takeover which also works correct, but that is not the behavior you would expect from an endless knob. Also the LED will behave in the same knob mode as the previous selected. E.G.: I select Slot Filter then EQ High the LED will be centered on 12 o’clock, but if I have selected Slot Volume then EQ High the LED will act as volume (not centered, increasing from left to right).

Any idea on how to fix it would be very much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Hi! I am sorry but mapping the track control the way you want to is not possible with traktor. You can do it in ableton or a third party software, but it is not possible to do it in Traktor alone...

If you find it really necessary for them to update then assign the eq to the device control since for some reason those work splendidly!

The way you map them is
    say you want to map an EQ low m1-0 and a filter m1-1 to knob ch1 cc16, simply map like this

In EQ low | ch1 cc16 | knob/fader direct | m1-0
    Out | EQ low | ch1 cc16 | control 0-1 | midi out 0-127
    Out | Send Monitor State | ch1 cc24 | control 0-1 | midi out 3-3 | m1-0

In Filter | ch1 cc16 | knob/fader direct | m1-1
    Out | Send Monitor State | ch1 cc24 | control 0-1 | midi out 3-3 | m1-1

And remember the modifier button

Remember this only works in device control, don't ask me why. Please do try the same mapping for track control. It updates the LEDs properly but somehow the knobs becomes a tad bit unresponsive and irritating to deal with.
    Remember when you map the knobs that in and out of the midi message should be on the knob itself, while send monitor state out should be mapped 8 CC's up.. Ex. Ch1cc56 has a monitor out from Ch1cc64.

Try turning blend on or off... I usually just leave it as default, whether on or off... Send monitor state usually have it turned off as default.

Hope that helped

Check out my mapping and you'll get an idea of the device controls power with leds
    Apc40 Super mapping
    Last edited by Subconcussion; 09-12-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: mistyped a midi message
    Spends time @DeNA. Djays @Lydskyen. Takes pictures and other crap to Subexistence Anything else you need to know!? Find me @Tokyo Tower

Hi mate, thanks for the response. But that’s a shame that Track Control and Device control don’t work in the same way. I may re-think my mapping layout to use Device Control.

Also I will give a try to your tsi once I get home.
    Cheers

Thumbs down

Man... I managed to accidentally push backspace...
    No way I'm gonna write that again...

Anyway to write a shorter post.

I am testing every possibility now.

I have found out that Device control and Track control work the same, so it's not akai (the hardwares fault).
    The problems stems from Traktors internal mixer which for some reason doesn't accept In and Out being mapped to the same knob... so my standard way of led ring update doesn't work..

I am trying to find a work around for that.

SO to say it again... This is a problem with Traktor and NOT the Apc as I previously thought.

Ps. I'll keep this thread updated with any new finds I make...

(Oh and I will soon be out with a polished version of my Apc40 mapping... It's just awesome!.. if I might say it myself)

EDIT:
    No luck! There are four ways one can solve the problem... In a somewhat satisfactory way.

1. (my current solution) Is to reset the LED when you switch control for that knob, and let the knob reset to the LEDs position upon touch. E.g. You have a knob mapped to EQ high and filter, when switching from EQ to filter, regardless of previous position the LED will reset, and regardless of the filters current position the knob will also reset upon movement.

2. Is to do the same but, have the knobs on soft takeover. So the led ring resets but you have to move the knob to the position in the software for you to gain control over it.

3. To have no LED updates and soft takeover. That means you will not have the ring update at all and have all knobs on soft takeover.

4. Probably the best solution... To get an external mixer and screw Traktors internal one = More mappable functions for the APC! (next on my list at least!)

To have the LEDs reset properly as described in solution one and two.
    Make a send monitor state for the physical knob (say you have A EQ high on cc48, then map EQ high out on cc56 with control 0-1 midi out 3-3, and a Send monitor state on cc48 with control 0-1 and midi out 63-63).
    The 63-63 means the middle led light. So if you want the rings to reset to another light you can just change the values from 0-127... It is the lowest value that matter so 63-127 still makes it reset at 63.)

Hope that was understandable... And it is regrettable that Traktor doesn't function as well as it should...
    Last edited by Subconcussion; 09-12-2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Update
    Spends time @DeNA. Djays @Lydskyen. Takes pictures and other crap to Subexistence Anything else you need to know!? Find me @Tokyo Tower

Hi Mate, I was trying to using the Device Control last night and I figured out myself that it wouldn’t work either.

In my mapping I’m current using your 3rd solution, which work just fine, but to be honest soft takeover is a pain in the ass, and I totally agree that the 4th option is the best, although Traktor’s internal mixer should work better, I mean, how this wok on the Sample Filters and not on Mixer Filters/EQ, doesn’t make much sense for me. Anyway… I really appreciate all your effort to help with this.

Cheers

Yes,

Let's hope NI fixes this bug in an update soon. It beats me too why the filter LED would work for the sample slots but not the mixer area.
    I also found mixing working and non-working LEDs will break the whole update feature too.
    Also, I have tried making m1-0 and m1-1 two different maps but it still doesn't work.
    So if you want to have one knob do several tasks with updates makes sure that the mixer and everything else is mapped separately.

Hi mate. Finally I found the solution for this and it's very simple but needs to use an additional Modifier.

First to try to explain let go back to scenario 1 and scenario 3. (1st post)

Scenario 1 we have LED update, but crazy behavior.
    Scenario 3 we have correct behavior but no LED update

The difference between these scenarios is EQ High OUT assign to Ch01 CC48, this is responsible for the LED update, but also is the cause of the crazy behavior. So the solution is making this OUT “active” only when the modifier button is held down, because this is the only moment we need it to send the LED update.

Being more specific we have to implement the following:

For the Modifier button let’s use Ch01 Note D7

Modifier # 1 assign to Ch01 Note D7 – Condition: M1=0 – Interact mode: Direct – Set to value = 1
    Modifier # 1 assign to Ch01 Note D7 – Condition: M1=1 – Interact mode: Direct – Set to value = 0
    Modifier # 2 assign to Ch01 Note D7 – Condition: none – Interact mode: HOLD – Set to value = 1
    EQ High IN assign to Ch01 CC48 - Condition: M1=0 – Type of Control: Fader/Knob – Interaction Mode: Direct.
    EQ High OUT assign to Ch01 CC56 – Condition: M1=0 – Control Range: 0.000000 to 1.000000 – Midi Range: 3 to 3 – Blend.
    EQ High OUT assign to Ch01 CC48 – Condition: M1=0 and M2=1 – Control Range: 0.000000 to 1.000000 – Midi Range: 0 to 127 – Blend.
    Slot Volume IN assign to Ch01 CC48 – Condition: M1=1 – Type of Control: Fader/Knob – Interaction Mode: Direct.
    Slot Volume OUT assign to Ch01 CC56 – Condition: M1=1 – Control Range: 0.000000 to 1.000000 – Midi Range: 2 to 2 – Blend.
    Slot Volume OUT assign to Ch01 CC48 – Condition: M1=1 – Control Range: 0.000000 to 1.000000 – Midi Range: 0 to 127 – Blend.

Hope that’s clear enough.

Thumbs up Oh My...

I just read extra modifier and thought holy Cow... why haven't I thought of this!?!?

Very very very smart! Indeed.

Kudos!