S4 in the club

Thread: S4 in the club

Tech Student

Default S4 in the club

To my fellow DJs that have used the NI S4 - have you found it a bit inconvenient to use in a club environment as far as having space along with other traditional gear - i.e. the mixer, cdj's, turn tables, etc.?

I am well aware of the benefits of using the controller and I am currently a TSP pro user using 2 X-1s and CDJs so I am not after the pros/cons of how the controller functions but the practicality of using it in live environments.

I am asking because I am in need of a new mixer for my home studio and figure it would be cheaper (a better long term investment) just to buy the S4 rather than buy a new pioneer or a&h mixer (yes I know there are cheaper mixers out there, but I prefer the reliability/features of these brands). My concern falls within using the S4 in a club environment - most booths I have worked in are already cramped and trying to find adequate space for a midi controller like the S4 plus your laptop would appear to be very inconvenient.

What problems (if any) have you encountered and what have you done to over come them?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
    - Michael.C
    Product One Music

I don't find the S4 to be a problem. It has the same size as two CDJ400 (side-by-side) and I just remove the CDJ's from the booth if necessary.

Tech Mentor

Common practical sense maybe? This question has been asked so many times now... and how can we know how the dj booth's around the world looks like? Anyways best solutions for me is two laptop stands, and turn up in good time before the gig.

Tech Mentor

a good piece of wood and just put it on top the existing mixer
    2 x Technics 1210's (mk3's), Xone 62, Denon 3500, TSP2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Macbook pro

I move the odd CDJ here and there, where I play the 1210's are gone now and they have boarded over the gaps to provide space, so mine sits there and the CDJ's are on stands, I still move a CDJ to put my midi fighter above the S4 (the picture was taken before opening )
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.