MPD24 mod JUST concept(can be reversible)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MPD24 mod JUST concept(can be reversible) HELP

!!!NEED HELP!!!

I just wanted to make good controller, dont need PADS and USELESS encoder(there is no relative or incremental function due to lack of firmware update). so I need advice:

1. What normal POTENTIOMETER(dont need 360) can be replaced with MPD24 encoder and will it WORK? MPD24 encoder have 4 pins in front and 2 on sides.

2. What 10cm fader will work with MPD24? I want to put longer faders.

3. Can I buy some ribbon(20 wires see picture below) that I can put instead of MPD pad sensor so I can solder the other ends to pushbuttons? I can take regular ribbon and solder it direct on pins connectors but just to ask you for maybe nicer solution.

Orange buttons are instead for PADs.
    Yellow are for TRANSPORT buttons on mpd24(they can send midi message in 1.09 firmware).
    All buttons will be 24mm

not final,just scatch(it will be mainly for sample deck and fx midifighter):

and can I make silicon case like midifighter has and where to order that? or maybe some other solution
    Last edited by mekon_ca; 07-21-2011 at 04:28 AM.
    TouchOSC for androd/iPhone WIN/MAC+TSI ableton live...
    androidosc.webs.com

everything looks fine, exept for that case, i think that's gonna be hard to get.

The pots are 2.5 k if i remember well, so this.
    Only the first 3 front legs (from the left) are connected to something, the last doesnt do anything and the 2 on the sides are just for holding the pot in place.
    The faders are 10 k, so any 10k will do, for the pads maybe but that would be the last thing i'd want to mod.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Why would you want to replace the velocity sensitive pads with buttons?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

they are hard to hold pressed down, with buttons I will be sure when its pressed its pressed
    androidosc.webs.com

IF the pads are too hard to press, why not get the pad corx that MPCStuff sells?

I had the same issues with my MPD in my studio. . .did the electrical tape trick, then upgraded the pads with the Corx. . .the velocity sensitivity is not a problem if yer going to control em through the DAW.

The pots shouldn't be trouble, as you can find decent ones on Mouser. . .the case on the other hand is a different story. . .
    It is an unknown fact that Mr. T is the original Black Power Ranger.

POTs are not good because it needs encoder so I am stick with useless encoders.
    androidosc.webs.com

then wait a bit ( like a week n something) before doing anything because i have a solution for that, it will cost you ( around 40$ i think ) because you need to have bome's midi app, but there is a way to make the infinite pots (useless) into infinite encoders.
    All this thanks to sysex messages, and bomes.

And even better it works well and opens lots of possibilities. So wait a bit before starting your mod and i'll creat a thread explaining everything.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

OK. I have similar discussion for that encoders in PURE DATA forum. And just to inform you that when encoders go to 127 it will stop sending midi messages, the same for 0. So whats your idea for sending unlimited +1 or -1
    Last edited by mekon_ca; 07-29-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    androidosc.webs.com

Ah ! The idea is not mine, i read about it first in ableton's forum, then on the bome's forum. But it was too cryptic for me to understand, a few weeks ago i gave it another try and managed to get it to work.

The trick in this is that a guy discovered some sysex messages by spying on the midi communication between the mpd 24 and the vysex editor, from that he devised that if you send a certain sysex to the mpd, then all the knobs, buttons, and faders will send their initial midi data plus a specific sysex message. Even buttons that do not normally send midi themselves ( like the bank buttons, the full velocity button, etc...).

So now a knob will send its midi data (0-127) and the sysex for that knob, the great thing is that every time the knob goes +1 or -1 it sends the sysex, when you reach 0 or 127 the sysex continues to be sent!
    Using bomes you then create a script to "tell" the direction of the movement (because the sysex is the same going up and down). You do that by scripting something allong the line of :

if knob X goes in direction 0-->127 then output encoder data +1 for every time you receive the sysex.
    if knob X goes in direction 127-->0 then output data -1 for every time you receive the sysex.

It works because as soon as you reach 127 in midi you cannot go further, but as soon as you "go down" it goes down..

Im sorry its not very clear, but ill give you the different links for that ( they unfortunatly are not clearer).

http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2818
    http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2347

this to send a sysex (osx) :

http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/docs.html

I dont have internet right now but should in a week or so, i'll then create the post i'm talking about above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast