Grrrrrrr... HID to MIDI frustration - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

I'm a bit short on time so I'm going to go through this quickly...

All I use midi-ox for is to monitor midi messages. I'll just go ahead and post a few pics, maybe it helps.

First, I've got midi-ox installed and set up to receive midi from midi-yoke and to go back out again:

Do this by going to Options > Midi setup. If you have any midi devices plugged in (keyboard, controllers etc) they'll show up in the list of available inputs.

Just a side note - if I check my midi input devices in Ableton I can see midi-yoke there, which is good. All midi-ox is doing is it sits between my midi controller (be it an actual bit of hardware, or, in this case - a virtual midi contoller ala Glovepie) and Ableton, and monitors the midi messages. But for the sake of troubleshooting, I leave Ableton closed and only watch midi-ox to see if midi is being sent / received

So - back to Glovepie. A simple script to make the 'q' key output a midi note message:
    Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 2
    midi.channel1.c0 = Keyboard1.q
    If you look at an actual controller - they have knobs and buttons. These don't send midi notes (like a c#), but they send program change messages / other types of instructions. However, for ease of setup and also for the fact that most DAW's use midi-note messages quite well for midi-mapping to various controls, it makes it easier to start of by making your DIy controller send midi note messages.

Ok, that Glovepie code is entered and I've hit 'Run' in Glovepie. Go back to midi-ox, press the 'q' key and I can see (in the midi activity window) that the 'q' key is sending a midi note on/off message:

That's all you need really. If I start up Ableton, make sure midi is set to receive from midi-yoke, then I can map my 'q' key (which is actually being mapped as a midi note rather than the key 'q') to whatever I need to.

Just a bit more about Glovepie:
    Just open up Glovepie, and put the following code in:
    Code:
    debug=keyboard.count
    and hit 'Run'. You should get a result of 3. One is your primary keyboard, another is Microsoft windows virtual keyboard or something, and the other should be the additional one you're using as your controller. As long as GlovePie sees all your keyboards, it's just a case of figuring out which one is the right one (but most likely it'll be keyboard.3) and getting midi-ox to see the messages Glovepie is sending.

Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 2
    midi.channel1.c0 = Keyboard0.q
    or
    Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 2
    or
    Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 2
    midi.channel1.c0 = Keyboard2.q
    Just try em all until midi-ox receives something - doesn't matter which keyboard sends the midi messages. Once you're sending midi from Glovepie to midi-ox you're good to go.

Gotta run. Hope you come right with it.
    Last edited by scyn; 07-20-2011 at 02:37 PM.

ooooooooook, so I ran into some problems of course lol. So to begin with, here's the code I've been using:

Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 2
    debug = midi.OutDevName
    midi.DefaultChannel = 1
    midi.csharp0 = Keyboard2.A
    midi.d0 = Keyboard2.B
    So I ran that, GlovePIE recognized the port I made in loopMIDI (which is what I'm using instead of MidiYoke) which is named QWERTYkeyboard, and that was all fine and dandy. Then I opened MidiOX, went to options, midi devices, clicked it, highlighted the midi input port and the midi output port which were both labelled as QWERTYkeyboard, hit ok, then I got an error message saying "QWERTYkeyboard: Undefined external error"

So, the next thing I did was run the debug program you gave me to check how many keyboard devices I have. turns out I only have 2. Just to double check I unplugged the external keyboard and ran it again and only got 1, so I know that it included the external keyboard when it ran it. So then I modified the code to be this instead, which included changing the keys from "A" and "B" to "Q":

Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 2
    debug = midi.OutDevName
    midi.DefaultChannel = 1
    midi.channel1.c0 = Keyboard0.q
    Ran everything again, same error message. Tried it again with a different keyboard.

Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 2
    debug = midi.OutDevName
    midi.DefaultChannel = 1
    Same thing, ran it again, didn't work again.

So where I stand now is:
    I have a code in GlovePIE that talks to loopMIDI.
    I have a port in loopMIDI that talks to GlovePIE.
    The code is fine.
    MidiOX recognizes the input and output of the loopMIDI port.
    MidiOX does not work.

Thoughts?

Screencaps will be on their way here momentarily because I fail to see why this works fine for you guys but not fine for me.

EDIT: Screencaps:

Step 1: Open GlovePIE, load script.

Step 2: Open loopMIDI, create port (QWERTYkeyboard).

Step 3: Run GlovePIE. The debug recognizes the QWERTYkeyboard.

Step 4: Open MidiOX.

Step 5: Options -> Midi Devices

Step 6: Midi Devices now open, now what? Before I was highlighting the QWERTYkeyboard input and outputs, but that was giving me the error messages.
    Last edited by chaomocha; 07-20-2011 at 10:58 PM.

somehow i managed to totally miss updates to this thread. odd...

Quote Originally Posted by chaomocha View Post
    Then I opened MidiOX, went to options, midi devices, clicked it, highlighted the midi input port and the midi output port which were both labelled as QWERTYkeyboard, hit ok, then I got an error message saying "QWERTYkeyboard: Undefined external error"
    only one app can write to a midi device at a time - and glovepie is trying to. i'm pretty sure thats the cause of that error.

make sure you only open the input port in midiox - you just want to use it to check that the correct data is being sent to the virtual midi device from glovepie.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    somehow i managed to totally miss updates to this thread. odd...

only one app can write to a midi device at a time - and glovepie is trying to. i'm pretty sure thats the cause of that error.

make sure you only open the input port in midiox - you just want to use it to check that the correct data is being sent to the virtual midi device from glovepie.
    Alright, did what you said and I didn't get an error message this time, woot! But now I'm pressing "Q" and nothing is happening on MidiOX. Is something supposed to be happening even? And where would I go to see it happening in MidiOX?

Alright, did what you said and I didn't get an error message this time, woot! But now I'm pressing "Q" and nothing is happening on MidiOX. Is something supposed to be happening even? And where would I go to see it happening in MidiOX?
    from the midiox port "Select MIDI Devices to Open" page have you double clicked on your virtual devicename in the "MIDI Inputs" panel so you now see it listed in the "Portmap Objects" box at bottom right?

you should then see midi data dumped in the "Monitor Input" window. in theory
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Yeah all those things are there, still nothing when I hit Q though... idk why its not working, after I click the midi input name and hit ok from the box and everything, the Monitor Input reads "Opened Midi Input", and if I un-highlight it, it says "Closed Midi Input." So it recognizes me opening and closing the midi input, but open or closed it doesn't do anything when I type the letter "Q" which is currently the only key I have scripted out.

Yeah all those things are there, still nothing when I hit Q though... idk why its not working, after I click the midi input name and hit ok from the box and everything, the Monitor Input reads "Opened Midi Input", and if I un-highlight it, it says "Closed Midi Input." So it recognizes me opening and closing the midi input, but open or closed it doesn't do anything when I type the letter "Q" which is currently the only key I have scripted out.
    so you're running the script below - glovepie is displaying your qwerty device name in its debug window and you are pressing 'q' on your first keyboard?

Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 2
    debug = midi.OutDevName
    midi.DefaultChannel = 1

yeah, nothings happening. I only have two keyboards though, and I try them both each time, and try the script with "keyboard0.q" each time as well, just in case. So technically I'm pressing Q 4 different times and none of them seem to work. Do I need an output or something because I'm really trying hard to notice everything right now in MidiOX and in the bottom left it says I have "No Output Device" where as over near the left side on the bottom it says I have "1 Input Device" which makes sense because that's all I've highlighted in the "Select MIDI Device to Open" window.

yeah, nothings happening. I only have two keyboards though, and I try them both each time, and try the script with "keyboard0.q" each time as well, just in case. So technically I'm pressing Q 4 different times and none of them seem to work. Do I need an output or something because I'm really trying hard to notice everything right now in MidiOX and in the bottom left it says I have "No Output Device" where as over near the left side on the bottom it says I have "1 Input Device" which makes sense because that's all I've highlighted in the "Select MIDI Device to Open" window.
    you don't need an output device selected since you're just using midiox to dump whats being set to that midi device by glovepie.

what about a slightly different script:

Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 2
    debug = midi.OutDevName
    midi.DefaultChannel = 1
    midi.csharp0 = Keyboard1.A
    midi.d0 = Keyboard1.B
    var.csharp0 = Keyboard1.A
    var.d0 = Keyboard1.B
    if you go to the "Variables" tab in glovepie you should see two variables now called csharp0 and d0 which should show **TRUE** (ish) when you press A or B on keyboard1.

if you dont see the variables change in that tab then try this one:

Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 2
    debug = midi.OutDevName
    midi.DefaultChannel = 1
    var.csharp0 = Keyboard1.A
    var.d0 = Keyboard1.B
    midi.csharp0 = Keyboard1.A
    midi.d0 = Keyboard1.B
    if you only see the variables changing in that 2nd one then that means theres an error writing to the midi device.

Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 2
    debug = midi.OutDevName
    midi.DefaultChannel = 1
    var.csharp0 = Keyboard2.A
    var.d0 = Keyboard2.B
    midi.csharp0 = Keyboard2.A
    midi.d0 = Keyboard2.B
    ok, so this code above worked. Its the second code you posted, just instead of keyboard1.A/B I used keyboard2.A/B which worked for my external. keyboard1 is for my internal keyboard as it would seem.

Anyway, that's working, but I go back to MidiOX and nothing is showing again when I press A or B. I closed the port and reopened it too just incase. Also just to be sure, this is the window I've been looking at in MidiOX, but I have some feeling that I shoud be looking at a different one, idk why though, I think it was because of something scyn wrote but I didn't fully understand it:

Quote Originally Posted by scyn
    Ok, that Glovepie code is entered and I've hit 'Run' in Glovepie. Go back to midi-ox, press the 'q' key and I can see (in the midi activity window) that the 'q' key is sending a midi note on/off message
    Is this the midi activity window? lol I dont even know:

And yes this was the window I've been pressing "Q" "A" or "B" in, accordingly.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast