Grrrrrrr... HID to MIDI frustration - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scyn View Post
    Which a lot of people might be ok with. I just found (using the controller in ableton) that sometimes when I had a device control selected and I used the keyboard controller, that the keystrokes would be entered into the control's value field. It just got in the way a bit too often having keystrokes.

But to the OP...go for it. You might just find that it's not a bother having those keystrokes coming in alongside the midi data. You'll probably end up learning quite a bit in the process of setting it up.
    ya that doesnt sound like it would be much of an issue. lemme make sure im clear on what your saying, if i were to set lets say "t" as an FX or something, the entire duration im holding t, if i also had a word document open and typing in it it would look like this: "ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt" or however long i hold the button? if so then that shouldnt be a problem with traktor at all. so how would i go about doing this though?

Quote Originally Posted by chaomocha View Post
    ya that doesnt sound like it would be much of an issue. lemme make sure im clear on what your saying, if i were to set lets say "t" as an FX or something, the entire duration im holding t, if i also had a word document open and typing in it it would look like this: "ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt" or however long i hold the button? if so then that shouldnt be a problem with traktor at all. so how would i go about doing this though?
    just map via glovepie using KeyboardX instead of JoystickX as most people use. there's plenty of example scripts around this forum.

as a guess this kind of syntax should work fine:

Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 8 // device number to use
    debug = midi.OutDevName // show device name in use
    midi.DefaultChannel = 1 // midi channel to send on
    midi.csharp0 = Keyboard2.A
    midi.d0 = Keyboard2.B
    so midi would only get sent from keyboard2 and buttons A and B in that example.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    just map via glovepie using KeyboardX instead of JoystickX as most people use. there's plenty of example scripts around this forum.

as a guess this kind of syntax should work fine:

Code:
    midi.d0 = Keyboard2.B
    so midi would only get sent from keyboard2 and buttons A and B in that example.
    ok so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm just labeling all the keys on the keyboard with notes on a instrument? and another question but could you explain this a bit more:

Code:
    I just don't really know what I'm supposed to do with it or if I'm supposed to change anything or insert something myself, but even if I don't have to do anything, I'd still like to understand what it's doing just in case I ever do this all again.

ok so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm just labeling all the keys on the keyboard with notes on a instrument?
    you're mapping keys on the keyboard to midi note events or cc's i guess yes - if thats what u mean.

and another question but could you explain this a bit more:

Code:
    I just don't really know what I'm supposed to do with it or if I'm supposed to change anything or insert something myself, but even if I don't have to do anything, I'd still like to understand what it's doing just in case I ever do this all again.
    first line is to select the midi out device - the number will vary depending on what you have plugged in - they should appear in the same order as in any other midi app. the "debug =" line is so that glovepie will display the name of the device you have chosen - so if its not right just change the number and rerun.

i did also write this glovepie code that allows you to select by the device name - but tbh entering a number in the line above is probably simpler overall.

Code:
    var.DevName = "test"

if (var.Init == 0) then
       for var.Count = 0 to 20 do
           midi.DeviceOut = var.Count
           if (midi.OutDevName ~= var.DevName) then
              debug = "Selected: " + midi.OutDevName + " at id=" + floor(var.Count)
              var.Count = 21 // end the loop
           end if
       end for
       var.init = 1
    endif
    if you wack this code at the top of your glovepie script you then just put the *exact* name of your midi device into "var.DevName"
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

you're mapping keys on the keyboard to midi note events or cc's i guess yes - if thats what u mean.

first line is to select the midi out device - the number will vary depending on what you have plugged in - they should appear in the same order as in any other midi app. the "debug =" line is so that glovepie will display the name of the device you have chosen - so if its not right just change the number and rerun.

i did also write this glovepie code that allows you to select by the device name - but tbh entering a number in the line above is probably simpler overall.

Code:
    var.DevName = "test"

if (var.Init == 0) then
       for var.Count = 0 to 20 do
           midi.DeviceOut = var.Count
           if (midi.OutDevName ~= var.DevName) then
              debug = "Selected: " + midi.OutDevName + " at id=" + floor(var.Count)
              var.Count = 21 // end the loop
           end if
       end for
       var.init = 1
    endif
    if you wack this code at the top of your glovepie script you then just put the *exact* name of your midi device into "var.DevName"
    lol ok, I know you're doing your best with helping me, but this is like my first ever time using anything midi related apart from just plugging in the controller and downloading a map for it, so bear with me when I ask, what the hell is a midi device out? xD yeah, I'm the essence, meaning, and picture in the dictionary of the word "Rookie" lol

lol ok, I know you're doing your best with helping me, but this is like my first ever time using anything midi related apart from just plugging in the controller and downloading a map for it, so bear with me when I ask, what the hell is a midi device out? xD yeah, I'm the essence, meaning, and picture in the dictionary of the word "Rookie" lol
    np lol. when u connect midi devices they each have a 'name' of some type that will show up in the device list in whatever software you are using. so thats all it means.

any device that can send data (like a midi keyboard) and receive midi (like a pad that lights up on a launchpad) have both a midi IN and an OUT port.

np lol. when u connect midi devices they each have a 'name' of some type that will show up in the device list in whatever software you are using. so thats all it means.

any device that can send data (like a midi keyboard) and receive midi (like a pad that lights up on a launchpad) have both a midi IN and an OUT port.
    so say I'm running Traktor pro 2. I've got my QWERTY keyboard plugged in, so its considered a generic keyboard in the drop down menu under controller manager. However I can only ever have one generic keyboard, which brings me here with all these questions lol.

so, I know the keyboard I have has 3 lights on it, for caps, scroll, and number lock. are these my midi OUTs then, similar to the launchpad lights? and would that make all the keys on the keyboard all of my midi IN? I think I might be jumping ahead of myself a bit. I understand mapping on Traktor, just this glovePIE program is a whole new world for me.

but anyway, based on what I just said, is this the proper way of pluggin in all that information in the code you gave me?

Code:
    midi.DeviceOut = 3 // device number to use
    debug = midi.GenericMidi // show device name in use
    midi.d0 = Keyboard2.B

the keyboard lights are nothing to do with this. you can get your keyboard to send out midi via glovepie - but it cant then receive midi to change lights etc.

you need an app like loopMIDI that creates a virtual midi device - which is what you'll set as the IN port in traktor.

you then set glovepie to send OUT to that loopMIDI virtual device so you end up with this:

your keyboard => glovepie => loopMIDI device => traktor

the only script you need is the one i pasted several posts ago:

Code:
    midi.d0 = Keyboard2.B
    which (assuming u tweak the 8 to be whatever virtual device is created by loopMIDI or other virtual midi device) would send out a "c sharp octave 0" if you press the "A" on your 2nd keyboard and a "d octave 0" if you press the "B" on that keyboard.

if you're on windows i recommend using loopMIDI as its very easy to use - just create one virtual midi port. if on a mac you'd need to scan the forum for info on that.

first get glovepie talking to your virtual midi device by tweaking that DeviceOut parameter - then get traktor connected to the same virtual midi device.

once you have at least one keypress getting into traktor then keep adding to the glovepie script like those 2 lines above and adding the entries in your traktor tsi...

haha ok I think I finally understand! I am running windows 7 so I'll go get loopMIDI and give that a whirl, then report back here hopefully with some good news.

Well unfortunately it didn't work, and I'm not quite sure why. So here's what happened. I downloaded loopMIDI, installed it, etc. opened it, added a port name with the default name of "loopMIDI Port" then I went to GlovePIE, pasted the script you gave me directly into the space available for text, deleted everything after the "//" on any of the lines that had it, then hit run. But next to the stop buttoen read "Out To MIDI Yoke: 7" but I gave it a try anyway and opened traktor. It was clearly not working because a whole bunch of random stuff was happening like my FX were cycling through for whatever reason. The GlovePIE popped up with a message saying "GlovePIE Programmable Input Emulator (Bird + 5DT ver) has stopped working, Windows is collecting more information about the problem, this may take several minutes..." and then a few seconds later a second message popped up pretty much saying it didn't find anything but wants to ask if I want to report it anyway. So, I cancelled out of traktor, glovePIE, and loopMIDI, and thought maybe my problem was that I had loopMIDI and MidiYoke running at the same time, so then I tried everything again except this time I didn't open loopMIDI. Instead, MidiYoke was open, GlovePIE was opened, the same script was pasted in, run, traktor, same errors occured, then they were followed by the same error messages. so yeah that's where I'm at now... lol and I thought I'd just be able to plug in a keyboard and start mixing, not gunna give up that easy though! any thoughts?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast