First Gig - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Gig

Tech Wizard

You play what you play. Not everyone will like it and you have to let people know what style(s) you play. If you play house, would you even want a frat party gig if they say they want top 40? I wouldn't.

I've been a hobby DJ for ten years now. I haven't played out much but the few times I did I made sure the people that wanted me knew the styles I played. If they were fine with it, great. If not, I'm not changing what I do for some gig. Don't like it? Don't ask me to play.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    Best advice ever -- if the dj isnt dancing and having fun, how can a crowd?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9vvPQW9N1c

Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    But a frat party? Dude, you can honestly crossfade songs that aren't even synced and people won't care. As long as people are drinking and the lights are low, you're going to be fine. And I bet you'll even get laid if you look like you're having a blast too!
    pick the hottest girl at the party, pop on a song and seek her out while getting a drink or something then ask her what she wants (hopefully its decent, or if not, pick another girl :P) and play it, then point at her and motion her up and ball out.

frat parties are f-in easy.

as for top 40 songs, R3hab is another good producer / you can find major remixes all over the place (i use mymp3pool(dot)com for most of the stuff coming out now-a-days -- $20 a mo)

these threads are helpful too

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...remixes&page=3

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...=top40+remixes

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...remixes&page=3

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...=top40+remixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

damn you guys are all badasses. im super psyched now and cant f'n wait to spin that shit. much love

Tech Mentor

Default Play for the people

If I could have a slightly contrarian view... Let me start by saying that I've played out for 3 years now, I'm not a bedroom DJ. When making the jump from bedroom DJ to real DJ, you have to take the focus off what music you like, and try to figure out what the people listening like. Why the hell would I go someplace to listen to all the music some random guy likes? People see a DJ and think "I hope he plays something good." Play to your audience. When you have them nice and happy, then you can deviate off into whatever you want. (somewhat) Play the music they want to hear.
    Look up at people when you're playing. Does it look like they like the music? Don't fool yourself here, drunk people can not their head to whatever, try to see if people are really feeling you, waiting to see what you'll do next. If you don't feel a proper energy in the room, play something else. (and not the next track on the playlist either) If you need to, take a break from mixing, scratching, chaining effects, beat juggling, or whatever else to look around the room. Try to pick the best song for the mood everybody's in. Read the crowd and try to find something they like, and start the musical journey there.
    A shortcut to reading the crowd is to find the one girl that's dancing, and into the music, and play just to her. Ignore everyone else, and try to make her dance even more than she already is. This usually works out fantastically.

This probably made no sense, but I just came back from the dentist and my head hurts pretty badly right now...

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    A shortcut to reading the crowd is to find the one girl that's dancing, and into the music, and play just to her. Ignore everyone else, and try to make her dance even more than she already is. This usually works out fantastically.
    great advice... plus that girl is gonna fuckin love you. hahahaha

if the ladies are dancing, then the guys dance, and then everyone has a fantastic time.

2+2=4

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    great advice... plus that girl is gonna fuckin love you. hahahaha

if the ladies are dancing, then the guys dance, and then everyone has a fantastic time.

2+2=4
    LOL... thanks for the tips guys!
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Quote Originally Posted by DarioJ View Post
    LOL... thanks for the tips guys!
    Also, always have a backup... because if something crash, you need to be able to fix it quick. an iPod connected to the mixer with a good song o a mix announcing something or whatever....

Always watch the dance floor, look at the crowd, are they moving? more or less than the last song?

And mayne, if you are a little nervous, prepare a list of songs, so if you don't really know what to play next, look up your list and sort it out..

Some advices that helped me out when needed them.. but the more important of all.. have fun!

huge master party list + maybe a specific gig list if say theres things on there you know they want.... for quick access

Tech Mentor

[QUOTE=djnesquigs;308872]great advice... plus that girl is gonna fuckin love you. hahahaha

so.... make sure shes pretty hot? haha will do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12