Possible noob question regarding how DVS works
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possible noob question regarding using 1 turntable to control multiple decks

Edit: I was able to use the search feature to figure this out but if someone can confirm for me:

If I am using Traktor Scratch Pro with one Turntable and want to control Two decks with it, is the best course of action to map two buttons to disable/enable timecode in order to switch decks? Do I need to map deck focus as well? How do you actually tell the turntable to track a different deck (I don't have Traktor Scratch so there might be a very obvious answer to this).

Also, http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/2438372429.html does that seem like a good deal for a turntable? I really don't know what a "fair" price for a technics is (Since I've only been digital djing).

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Nales; 06-14-2011 at 01:43 AM.

If you are using timecode you need a sound card that supports it
    i.e audio 4/6/8/10.

And yes you can use one turntable and switch decks that is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyQuiet View Post
    If you are using timecode you need a sound card that supports it
    i.e audio 4/6/8/10.

And yes you can use one turntable and switch decks that is fine.
    Thanks Tommy! Yep I was planning on getting Traktor Scratch Duo package and then upgrading that to Scratch Pro (I don't need the Audio 10).

I just edited my post, is there a "right way" on how to map buttons to use one turntable properly? Do you just map buttons to disable/enable timecode?

Thanks!

Under "input settings" just change the input on both decks to the phono input with the turntable. Then you can midi-map buttons (or use your keyboard or mouse) which will toggle relative/midi mode on or off on each of the decks to change "focus." In other words it works like this:

Deck A receives input from Phono input 1
    Deck B also receives phono input 1

Switch focus to deck A:
    Midi Controller ---> Button 1 ---> press ---> Toggles relative mode on in deck A, toggles internal midi mode on in deck B

Switch Focus to deck B:
    Midi Controller ---> Button 2 ----> Press ---> toggles relative mode on in Deck B, toggles internal midi mode on in Deck A

Or you could probably do it this way if you want just one button for on/off
    Midi controller/Keyboard ---> set button mode to TOGGLE when setting up the controller ---> on is when When midi note send = 1, off is when midi note send = 0

First press (When note = 1) ---> Toggles relative mode on in deck A, toggles internal midi mode on in deck B

2nd Press (when note = 0) ---> Toggles relative mode on in Deck B, toggles internal midi mode on in Deck A

Tech Wizard

Regarding the price for that turntable, you should be able to negotiate for a lower price. I think they retail brand new at around $500, so depending on age and wear and tear, that price may or may not be fair. I was able to buy a pair of used silver MK2s for about $500 back in '05 and they're still kicking. Just do some eBay searches and go from there.

Under "input settings" just change the input on both decks to the phono input with the turntable. Then you can midi-map buttons (or use your keyboard or mouse) which will toggle relative/midi mode on or off on each of the decks to change "focus." In other words it works like this:

Deck A receives input from Phono input 1
    Deck B also receives phono input 1

Switch focus to deck A:
    Midi Controller ---> Button 1 ---> press ---> Toggles relative mode on in deck A, toggles internal midi mode on in deck B

Switch Focus to deck B:
    Midi Controller ---> Button 2 ----> Press ---> toggles relative mode on in Deck B, toggles internal midi mode on in Deck A

Or you could probably do it this way if you want just one button for on/off
    Midi controller/Keyboard ---> set button mode to TOGGLE when setting up the controller ---> on is when When midi note send = 1, off is when midi note send = 0

First press (When note = 1) ---> Toggles relative mode on in deck A, toggles internal midi mode on in deck B

2nd Press (when note = 0) ---> Toggles relative mode on in Deck B, toggles internal midi mode on in Deck A
    hmmm, I think I've seen this somewhere before

you have my friend its your hard work sorry.

i thought i copied the whole quote over with your name

feelsbadman.jpg

the search button is a great thing

Quote Originally Posted by 1/0 View Post
    Regarding the price for that turntable, you should be able to negotiate for a lower price. I think they retail brand new at around $500, so depending on age and wear and tear, that price may or may not be fair. I was able to buy a pair of used silver MK2s for about $500 back in '05 and they're still kicking. Just do some eBay searches and go from there.

Really? Once Technics stopped making them I've seen prices skyrocket to $1000 for a new one ... I will look harder...

you have my friend its your hard work sorry.

i thought i copied the whole quote over with your name

feelsbadman.jpg

the search button is a great thing
    ha, no problem. Wasn't much work. I was just messin with ya.

BTW: I actually want to thank you, because I said I would try and map this weeks ago as proof of concept and never got around to it. Gonna hop on that now.

So anyway if anyone was wondering on how to do this mapping for a single button press to switch deck control when using one turntable here is how. There is a little nuance and this took me a while to figure out how to get one button press to become a toggle. Hope you all enjoy --->

Step 1)
    Here is how to set up the inputs to your decks (I use A&B). You want to set the same inputs to BOTH decks since you only have one input. I use a control S4 so the input names may be different on an Audio 4/6/8/10

Step 2)
    Now you want to set up a new controller. Self explanatory

STEP 3)
    First is to set up your modifier when M = 0. Use the midi learn button to assign a button. Remember the button you use! THIS WILL BE THE ONLY BUTTON FOR INPUT FOR THE REST OF THE TIME! I used an unassigned midi button on my LPD8.
    hit midi learn ---> assign the key press
    Add In ---> Modifier ---> M1
    Set the modifier to M1, Value = 0
    Type of Controller = Button
    Interaction Mode = Direct
    Set to Value = 1

Step 4)
    Next we set the button press when M1 = 0 to turn deck A relative mode on like so --->
    Add In --> timecode ---> Playback Mode Int/Rel/Abs
    Midi learn ---> Press the SAME button
    Modifier Conditions ---> Modifier = M1 --->Value = 0
    Controller Type ---> Button
    Interaction Mode ---> Direct
    Assignment ---> Deck A
    Set to Value ---> Relative

Step 5)
    Next we set the button press when M1 = 0 to turn deck B to Internal mode on (and relative mode off) like so -->
    Add In --> timecode ---> Playback Mode Int/Rel/Abs
    Midi learn ---> Press the SAME button
    Modifier Conditions ---> Modifier = M1 --->Value = 0
    Controller Type ---> Button
    Interaction Mode ---> Direct
    Assignment ---> Deck B
    Set to Value ---> Internal

Step 6)
    Ok now here is the nuance. To make this button press a toggle we must set modifier one again. But this modifier must have a modifier on it. It works like this.
    When you press your assigned button the first time, M1 jumps to the value of 1. Now that the value is 1 you set the next button press to decrease the value back to zero but ONLY when M1 already equals 1. Sounds weird but it works. Anyway.

hit midi learn ---> assign the key press
    Add In ---> Modifier ---> M1
    Set the modifier to M1, Value = 1
    Type of Controller = Button
    **Interaction Mode = Dec**

BTW: I don't know why Auto repeat is checked but I don't think it has to be.

Now Rinse and repeat steps 4 and 5 but switch around Deck A and B and change the modifier value to be equal to 1. Like so ---> (I will only post photos)

And there you go! You now have 1 button which will switch between relative modes on each deck! I will upload the .tsi file as well which you can map your own button to using Midi learn.
    Last edited by Frank112916; 06-14-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast