CDJ-800 (MkI or II) or Numark NDX 800
    Tech Guru

Default CDJ-800 (MkI or II) or Numark NDX 800

I'm finally ready to take the plunge and pickup CDJ's. I have been researching and gathering people's recommendations and have come down to these two for the money I want to spend. Currently I can pick up a pair of brand new Numark NDX800 for about 800$ or a used pair of Pioneer CDJ 800 (MKI or MKII) for about the same price.

Given this option which would you take?
    I love pioneer. I loved my Numark Total Control though. I haven't heard the best track record with their previous CDJ's but everyone has something positive about this model. Any additional feedback before my wife notices I spent another grand on my "stupid hobby"
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Personally I dont like the 800's.Im not anti-pioneer,I love my 1000's.Unfortunately I know 2 people that bought second hand 800's and got trouble with them.Laser pickups and pressure sensors,but I suppose thats a possible risk with any cdj.I cant comment on the Numark because Ive never used one.
    The Djtt Psychic Network has closed for the day. If you need help from the non-psychic members of the forum, you need to be more specific
    http://soundcloud.com/djsidetrakd
    Check out my midifighter extreme!! http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28014

I had some MKII 800s and they were great

I'd prefer them to the Numarks, but make sure you get a good pair like sidetrakd says
    SC | MC

Tech Wizard

i absolutely hate the 800 mk I or mk II, i find them buggy as hell,
    maybe the ones i use have through hell :P, personally though i'd go for some
    400's for the money! good luck in your search

I used the NDX800s last summer for a month or so and they were solid. The platter is large enough and even in midi mode does a good job of scratching. I hated the textured surface of the jogs though and wrote Numark to request better LED feedback for the jogs if/when they did a firmware update. They come with a decent feature set but forget the EFX section.

I think if your getting CDJs you should get a pair that can play off of usb.

I think the 400's are you best bet.

You definitely can find a pair used in your price range. They have the usb feature.

The 800's are ok, but I think where you have started on the digital side of things burning and collecting/organizing a cd collection may be a little bit counter intuitive.

I bought a pair of cdj 800s 4 or 5 months a go on a similar journey and now I'm financing a s4. I think the feel of the s4 jog wheels is great. Theres a good chance jog wheels will stay in my setup. I use them as the "big red emergency button" just incase I missed a grid or it happens to be off a bit.

Also, one of the CDJ800MKIIs I purchased had a broken cue button. Unfortunately, once the button breaks the mirco switch experiences extra force and will break at an accelerated speed. Right now I have the switched and a new button here just need to find the time to open up and solder.

From now on, I may just purchase brand new gear because at least its got insurance.

I know this isnt an option probably but I'd like to open your head up a bit.

That RGAS can do some damage if it goes undetected/treated. It primarily affects the communication channels between male and there female counterparts. I'd watch out.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Tech Guru

LOL yeah thanks for the heads up on the CUE button on the 800's. As far as RGAS goes I try to sell something before I buy something. One in One out. I have a few bids in on another turntable if that goes thru then I'll stick with a DVS setup with my digital. If I like it and want more I'll get the CDJ's. I already have a Traktor Sound Card so a few vinyls plus 100$ for another turntable is a lot cheaper investment into something I only think I want.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)