Kontrol S4 Super Effects Mapping - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

That's a pure math thing and i should be able to recall my matrix transformation knowledge and come up with a solution soon. Will keep you posted!
    You create modifiers' states that only exists when other conditions are met
    like for example m3=7 with modifiers conditions fx mode 1=0 and shift hold =1 so when you need to have three conditions for a state/event you can use the modifier 3=7 because by nature it can only exist when fx mode=0 and shift hold (in other words you hide two modifiers in one). That still leaves you with a free modifier condition to add to your function(s).
    This principle could be multiplied by even adding others layers of modifiers inside. It's like building a core and then adding a external shell, then another one (all existing or built on the previous).

As for a matrix of event you can use if you're short on modifiers a grid built on sequential values of different modifiers or even other modifiers. The matter is here is just to specified for each one of the modifiers you're using what are the different values when a specific button is used (covering all different modifiers used, being specific on all possibilities.

A third point as it seems a misunderstanding for many around. If you don't tick 'remember the effect settings' and you managed to keep all the time your f xunit to a specific type then it is possible to have instant fx all the time if you're ready to create all the functions needed for all 'events' you want to call.
    For example I have a set of button, all activate the same fx unit in advance mode but all set, directly without any need to be pushed twice, different single FX with settings as I want them to be (and engages the fx and/or eventually the fx unit). That's exactly the same in group mode.
    I saw many times on the forum that wasn't possible, well, it works me you know, so. The only request apart the stability of the fx mode (or the reliability of any system to bring the fx mode to this state) is too map ALL fx settings, and for each 'event' (an event being a conjunction of several modifiers, one brick within your matrix/grid).
    I'm mentioning that because as a suggestion if you review your combo and that you can manage/create them so each second fx unit used for each pair of units is always in advanced mode, you can now duplicate your mapping for all decks, each pair of units relating to a pair of decks and still have an instant freeze delay for each side that you call from a push of a button. The only problem here would be use a buffer fx (one that need an audio buffer of 'some' time) as those most of the time need to be activated at least two times before actually being in effect how you want them to be. Think in terms of pair of fx units so also each pair of fx units will be activated by the same fx on button for a given deck, it solves the issue of any led behaviour on those fx buttons too (fx button C 1 toggles units1&3, fx button A 1 toggles the same units; fx button B 2 toggles units 2&4, same for deck d with the fx button 2).

Clearness isn't my speciality too but I hope you get the rough idea(s).
    Last edited by Yul; 07-01-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Tech Guru

Great thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    You create modifiers' states that only exists when other conditions are met
    I'm also coming to the conclusion that this is the most convenient way. Will be playing more with it to see what are the actual possibilites. Building intermediate modifiers & altering states with extra conditions in a smart & logical way is a very powerful approach, indeed.

As for a matrix of event ...
    Building a full 8x8 grid for the intermediate states is a very complex way to build a mapping IMO. The worst part is that there's no visible & readable logic, but a completely artificial definition ... I'd like to avoid it, as i feel a single intermediate modifier would be sufficient in most cases.

A third point as it seems a misunderstanding for many around. If you don't tick 'remember the effect settings' and you managed to keep all the time your f xunit to a specific type then it is possible to have instant fx all the time if you're ready to create all the functions needed for all 'events' you want to call.
    For example I have a set of button, all activate the same fx unit in advance mode but all set, directly without any need to be pushed twice, different single FX with settings as I want them to be (and engages the fx and/or eventually the fx unit). That's exactly the same in group mode.
    I saw many times on the forum that wasn't possible, well, it works me you know, so. The only request apart the stability of the fx mode (or the reliability of any system to bring the fx mode to this state) is too map ALL fx settings, and for each 'event' (an event being a conjunction of several modifiers, one brick within your matrix/grid).
    Proper setup & cleanup of environment is one of the most basic rules of software engineering (and these mappings are an engineering process, after all). Same goes for error & exception handling, entering & aborting the mode and so on.

... The only problem here would be use a buffer fx (one that need an audio buffer of 'some' time) as those most of the time need to be activated at least two times before actually being in effect how you want them to be ...
    hmm, what you say seems logical and will be a real issue for what i'm planning to do. Need to test and see how exactly it goes.

I've started to build an XLS file to document and plan the entire mapping with the modifiers madness. Will take me some time, but goes well so far.

Again, great, great thanks for the feedback!

Tech Guru

I think i found an acceptable solution for the Delay Freeze - one of the Shifts + the On/Off can be programmed to prepare the slave unit on the oposite side for a freeze execution. it's not perfect and would compromise the spontaneity, but it's a legit solution.
    As improved approach, I'm also thinking that by default, the SE engage action can prepare the unit upfront under certain conditions so it's there for a kick . The Shift+ action will still be useful as a backup, in case the oposite side is also in active Super Effect mode.

BTW, I found a bug with the state reset (not flushing the parameters on/off state) with the right side of the mapping. Will have it fix and will upload an update soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbeatz
    also added my Loop recorder mapping into the mix to see what is possible.
    I was thinking in this direction too - do you think it would make sense to engage the LR Super Knob mode using the L/R Shifts + the channel's "Cue" (headphones) button? The Left Shift + Cue can be made to assign it to the left, while the R.Shift + a Cue to right unit pair. That would probably be best to be made as a separate mapping. The SE mapping just need to made aware of the environment prep. for the LR. so the proper states are in sync. All doable, I'd say

Tech Convert

ok this isnt working out for me. its a little on the complicated side. i seem to be able to do the army of woosh on deck A but cant seem to use it on B. on top of that once i use it i have to turn it off and back on .... im all confused. now my effect is all screwed up is there anyone with the default setting or anyone way to return back to default.
    im also a noob when it comes to mapping i really wanted to get the army of woosh without getting an external controller.
    Last edited by Sayo; 07-09-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Tech Guru

Sayo try this from my first post, your toggle modifiers are out of sync:

" ***Issues*** When you first load it your effects may not be synced up when you press the button. To correct it turn off the effect buttons on units 1 & 2 from within the software (meaning use the mouse). This will sync the toggle modifiers I used. "
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Convert

I would like to change the assignment of the freeze (undo) delay (rec) and reverb (delete) to other effects as I already use a midi fighter. Which should I edit? Or if you would like to change it and repost, any other useful effects would be nice.

Thanks for the map tho like the army whoosh.

Tech Convert

Thanks big beatz. im gonna go back and try to sync it but does anyone know if it would be easier if i just bought a seperate efx controller. i was thinking about the akai lpd8 and just follow the tutorial on army of whoosh vid. damm i really like that effect.

Tech Guru

Hi Sayo,

I know there's a bug in the state syncing for the Right side assignment in the update I posted few weeks ago, but am too busy with other stuff in the last days and couldn't get my mind on fixing it yet.

Regardless, the Woosh FX is working fine with the left side assignment (FX2 button on channels A & C) of the mapping and I will definitely fix the sync state of the right side too asap. Note that besides the state sync issue, the woosh FX works on the right too, it's just not as robust as on the left side ...

damn I feel guilty for failing here :/

Cheers!
    Last edited by loop; 07-12-2011 at 04:17 AM.

Tech Convert

OMFG i got it to work. damm that effect is awesome. hey loop would it be easier to just get the akai lpd and will it work with just the tutorial alone on army of me whoosh vid. if it will ill just go out and buy it cause i still do need all my effect. whhhoooosshhh out yo!

Tech Guru

the lpd8 is great! You can use it for tons of stuff. It has AMAZING potential and can be loaded with lots of extra controls.

Still, with the mapping improvements I'm working on, the S4 is becoming a much more powerful tool and is still a single controller with a single cable connected to the computer.

Your choice man, but why not. You seem to really want an LPD8, right

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast