Kontrol S4 Super Effects Mapping
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Kontrol S4 Super Effects Mapping

Hi Guys,

After using the instant gratification mapping on my maschine I decided to adapt it a bit to my S4. What I did was use a few of the combos I'd normally use on the midifighter mapping and make it S4 friendly. So far the mapping is for decks A & B. This mapping takes up all 4 units and is controlled by the knobs on the S4. You'll notice slot 3 in your effects bank in unit 1 & 2 is empty. I did this so I could put the delay at the end of the chain. This allows for a nice delay when using the masher. It's basically 4 great effects that are super easy to use. After using them for a bit I turned off effect view and free'ed up some space on my screen. Test it out and let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy it.

How to use:

Make your traktor version use 4 effect units by going to:

Preferences >> Effects >> 4 FX Units

Next Import the TSI file by using the big import button on the bottom.

NOTE***make sure you back up any mapping you have done as this will overwrite them.***

How it works:

This works on Decks A & B Only right now. I have also not figured out how to make the advanced toggle work properly. To me these effects work great and they require less fiddling around while mixing.

Each side has the same effects and the effect units are auto assigned when you press them. This solves the issue of assigning effect units in 4 effect unit mode.

Effects are as follows:

Dry/Wet Knob remains the same
    Dry/Wet button = Midifighter Freeze

Knob 1 + Button 1 = Beatmasher + A little Reverb + A light Delay

Knob 2 + Button 2 = Army of me Whoosh

Knob 3 + Button 3 = Defaults to the Midifighter delay on press. Moving the knob will adjust the parameters.

***Issues*** When you first load it your effects may not be synced up when you press the button. To correct it turn off the effect buttons on units 1 & 2 from within the software (meaning use the mouse). This will sync the toggle modifiers I used.

:: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Guru

Gangsta Gangsta....that's what they yelling!!!!

Yeah the syncing of effects at first happened to me as well. Easy fix though. Good idea on taking the effects view off. More screen for waves and less stuff on the GUI.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Guru

^^ LOL ^^

The syncing of the effects happens because of the way the effect buttons are restricted. I think it should only happen the first time.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Wizard

neat, Ill try it out as soon as I can

Tech Mentor

Nice. I'll give this one a try big. Is there a way to turn this whole mapping on and off, or is that what you meant by working on a toggle modifier?

I'd still like to access my standard effects with the knobs.

Good work.

Tech Guru

Right now it doesn't toggle. I couldn't figure out to use the modifiers the way I wanted to, maybe you can take a look and see how I can improve it. Right now I took up all 8 modifiers but I'm sure it can be done with half that, I just couldn't understand how to make it work.

I used each modifier for on/off states.

example:

button 1 on = m1 = 0
    button 1 off = m1 = 1

How can I make it so:

Button 2 on = m1 = 2
    Button 2 off = m1 =3

I tried to do it the way written above but button 2 wouldn't act correctly.

The question: if button 1 turns on effect A and button 2 also turns on effect A: How can I make button 2 not turn off effect A if it is already on because I pressed button 1? The buttons still need to function as toggles on/off, they can't be direct on only.

If I can solve this I'd free up a ton of modifiers.
    Last edited by bigbeatzz; 06-07-2011 at 03:48 PM.

I'm lazy so I'm not looking into the file but if I can give you three quick thoughts:
    - you should do it within two files, one for the left hand side, one for the right hand side, that will free you up quite a few modifiers.
    - for you reset at the very beginning, instead of having to set things with the mouse, just choose two buttons that you'll probably never use together like shift+shift. Set your 'reset' so when you press the first shift, then the other one while the first is held down, all your parameters are set as you want them to be.
    - once again I didn't have a look at your file but for your fx buttons I can see a flaw in the logic:
    example:

button 1 on = m1 = 0
    button 1 off = m1 = 1

How can I make it so:

Button 2 on = m1 = 2
    Button 2 off = m1 =3
    as you're using the same modifier, your system can't really reflect the exact state of the controller as if all fx are off what is the supposed value of m1? it can't be at the same time values 1&2. You better choose a modifier per button here. I understand you didn't have enough modifiers to work with of course but still.

As I said only quick thoughts.

Tech Guru

Thanks Yul, I actually did use 2 files one for each side. So what your saying is you can use 8 modifiers in each? I thought it was 8 per device. I'll try and work on it when I get home, thanks for the help!

8 modifiers, each having 8 values (yes 0 being one), per file.
    Depending on your mapping you may have to duplicate some modifiers on both but I suppose that won't the case here.
    Last edited by Yul; 06-08-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Will download this when i get back from work. was thinking about this the other day after looking at Yours and Haze's super knob thread. Looks perfect!!! thanks man!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast